ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Bashing Headers

For any of those folks using Ebay headers, here's some comfort for you.

http://vid.carbuzz.com/the-lesson-he.../?utm_source=3

Thought it was pretty interesting.
      05-12-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

The reason that it didn't do much of a difference bashing in the headers in the video might be because they were over dimensioned from the get go, thus the initial bashing increased the HP. But eventually it was down on power.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

That could be very true, I remember some folks having some concerns in regards to molding their headers and I figured that this would be relevant for them. I don't think you'd make more power in all cases, but for the most part even in the most extreme of cases, you likely won't lose power or not a lot of it at lest.
      05-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

That stuff will NEVER fly on any modern BMW engine. They tested that on a small block V-8, which has basically stayed the same since 1960s. This is one of the most bulletproof engine block design ever developed by man.

That 400 CI engine is a 6.5 liter V8 running Holley carburetors. Not a 3.2 liter inline 6 running variable valve timing tuned on modern ECU designed to maximize power per liter output all the way up to 8,000 RPM while also maximizing fuel efficiency. Modern BMW engines are designed and tuned to timed exhaust pulses. You put a small dent in the header on our S54? Results will be drastically different.

Tuning hot-rods isn't the same as tuning modern sports cars, IMO. Do what they do on any BMW engine since the mid 90s? Drastic reduction in power.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Given the comparison of the stock headers versus the aftermarket versions...a ding here or there will not make a huge difference. The flow is still much better. Just look at the two side by side. You don't have to be an engineer to know the measured flow will be better even with a few dings.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That stuff will NEVER fly on any modern BMW engine. They tested that on a small block V-8, which has basically stayed the same since 1960s. This is one of the most bulletproof engine block design ever developed by man.

That 400 CI engine is a 6.5 liter V8 running Holley carburetors. Not a 3.2 liter inline 6 running variable valve timing tuned on modern ECU designed to maximize power per liter output all the way up to 8,000 RPM while also maximizing fuel efficiency. Modern BMW engines are designed and tuned to timed exhaust pulses. You put a small dent in the header on our S54? Results will be drastically different.

Tuning hot-rods isn't the same as tuning modern sports cars, IMO. Do what they do on any BMW engine since the mid 90s? Drastic reduction in power.
Those are very valid points that I had not considered, I was only really looking at the respect to the flow of exhaust in general. I'm reconsidering my having posted this now. :\
      05-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

No worries Shane, i am glad you did and got a good laugh out of that vid, thx for posting it

V.