ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Painting wheels

I have had CSL replicas on the car for 50 miles - love the look but the paint and/or clear coat is not tough or resilient. One wheel ended up with several chips and I gotta tell ya - pain in the ass to get any paint to match - closes I could get was a duplicolour VW car paint in silver spray - blow it into a top and then dab on the scratches or chips.

Then you have to wet sand which will change the colour and then prep the whole wheel to apply a clear coat. I used Duplicolor wheel clear and if it holds up better than the rest I will do all the wheels.

Could get them powder coated not much money BUT just had the tires all balanced and computer mounted and do not want to take them all off the car - strip the wheels, powder coat and then re-mount them again.

Clear coat ended up looking good = at least one thing worked
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0