ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Painting Calipers

Nothing to do till some silicone hoses come in and the car was up on Jack stands and I said what the hell. Of course - after trying to get the wheel studs off with my impact gun - got an average of 1 per wheel off. Read all the treads and sprayed them with silicone. Next morning - came off pretty easy with some more impacting and then a 3 foot bar on my socket.

Hard to believe - had to hit two of the wheels on the inside with a rubber mallet to get them off the hubs. I bet rear wheels never off the car - yeah I know its an 06 but it has all of 25000 miles on it.

When all else fails read the directions - cleaned the callipers as directed - put on the paint - waited a bit - started a second coat and the can says - apply several light coats - apply second coat within 5 minutes so the first one doesn't lift or let dry for 5 DAYS. I can't wait 5 minutes for anything so 2 or three quick ones and it will have to be good enough - not like they are headlight surrounds or anything.

While the wheels were off I cleaned the inside and out and waxed and it took longer to do the four than it takes to wax the car.

In any event = little bit of curb rash on one - fix it up and then put them back on - anyone spray anything on the hub and/or wheel so they don't stick?
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Ovaltine
floor sweeper
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Looks good. My Toyota Tacoma had a reaction like that where the wheel was stuck to the hub. I used a very light coat of heavy grease just to lightly coat the circumference of the hub.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
All done - looks pretty good.

Ya know the stock wheels on the M's are pretty good looking considering but they are a bit of a pain in the ass to clean - nice to get all the brake dust and tar off the insides of the rims.

I have some stuff for rust prevention and electrical component protection made for the aircraft industry so put it on the wheel bolts and the hubs so the damn wheels won't take 2 hours to remove next time - tightened all without impact wrench - fingers till snug - torque wrench to 85lbs - will check after 500 miles or so.

Anyone wondering why I am frigging around in the garage - here is my back deck today.
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Your wheels are a pain in the ass to clean? At least you don't have rivets. Now that is a real PITA.
      01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I can imagine !! THose I would just spray with wheel cleaner and wash it off !
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
You should apply wheel wax before mounting the wheels back on that way brake dust won't stick as much.
      01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Already did @@
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang

I put a little bit of anti seize on the hubcentric ring, as mine were stuck too.
Figured it couldn't hurt.
Appreciate 0