ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Unhappy Leak in Trunk

I live in Oregon where it rains ALL THE TIME. I have some sort of leak that's causing my trunk to collect a small pool of water. This is extremely bad since the battery / amp and whatnot are located in the trunk. I have no idea how the water is getting in the trunk. I've checked the trunk lid seal and it seems to be in great condition. No noticable wear on it at all. I also checked the metal of the trunk lid where the seal connects and I don't see anything wrong there either. The water is pooling up on the right side of the trunk (if you're standing behind the car looking into the trunk). It seems to all be going into that little indentation pocket area on the right side. I've taken the carpet out to see if I can see anything wrong underneath, but I was unable to find anything noticeably wrong.

Has anyone else experienced a leak like this? Or does anyone know what else I should check? I really don't want to take it into the stealership for something like this since I'm out of warranty and they'll probably charge me an arm and a leg. Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Has anybody else had this problem before? I have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Did you check the drains for the soft top?
They are known to get plugged.
IIRC there is a DIY for this.

<edit>
here ya go....
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=Belgium
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

^this kind of help is what's great about this site.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

I am going to do that as the first remedy but can plugged drains overflow to the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

I checked my drains and they weren't plugged. Water can still flow into them and comes out the bottom of the car without leaking into the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

check the screw that holds the tail light trim piece. It sits in the water drain channel. I had water come in my trunk from here, so i used clear silicon around the screw

sorry for the bad description.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

did you check BOTH drain plugs? Another member on here mentioned around a month ago that he was getting water in his trunk too and it was the drains. Even if it's not 100% plugged but enough to not drain the water quickly could cause water to drain into the trunk, not to mention ruin your soft-top motor if your car is Pre-2006 where they weren't sealed. The tail light sounds like a good bet too.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

I checked the bolts for the tail light trim piece and it seems to be fine. Submerged it in water to see if any could find it's way through. Didn't see any visible leakage. It looks like I'm going to have to bring it into the shop to see what they can figure out.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

It turns out it was the little vent that's behind the carpet in the trunk on the passenger side. The seal around the vent was worn out and needed to be replaced. All dry now!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidley View Post
It turns out it was the little vent that's behind the carpet in the trunk on the passenger side. The seal around the vent was worn out and needed to be replaced. All dry now!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #12
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Which vent is this? Can you be more specific? I haven't had a leak after the first one but it doesn't hurt to check just to be sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

There has also been issues with water getting in via the third brake light as well. However the water ends up more to the middle of the trunk.

Did they put a part number on the service invoice? Looking at Realoem I do not see a gasket in that area. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=41&fg=25
      12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

If you remove the carpet trim on the right hand side of the trunk near the tail light you'll see the vent.

All modern vehicles with a sealed trunk have a vent usually behind the rear bumper. It's to equalize air pressure, especially when closing the trunk. If there weren't any vents, the trunk wouldn't want to close/seal easily, when slamming the trunk it would bounce back up before actually latching closed.

The vents also help reduce resonance within the vehicle when opening one window a little bit. When travelling at speed with one window open a bit a low frequency sound resonates within the cabin that can cause headaches. (Similar to blowing air over the top of a wine bottle.) Historically the solution was to crack open another window a little bit as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
If you remove the carpet trim on the right hand side of the trunk near the tail light you'll see the vent.

All modern vehicles with a sealed trunk have a vent usually behind the rear bumper. It's to equalize air pressure, especially when closing the trunk. If there weren't any vents, the trunk wouldn't want to close/seal easily, when slamming the trunk it would bounce back up before actually latching closed.

The vents also help reduce resonance within the vehicle when opening one window a little bit. When travelling at speed with one window open a bit a low frequency sound resonates within the cabin that can cause headaches. (Similar to blowing air over the top of a wine bottle.) Historically the solution was to crack open another window a little bit as well.
Good to know the location. Kudo's to you.