ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
loyddobbler88
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0i

Next Level Performance Chip for Z4?? Thoughts??

Hey Everyone, I was trying to figure out how to get more horsepower out of my 3.0 without shedding out enough money to just buy an M (Don't ya just love how BMW has ya cornered?! lol). I know that whenever some one brings up chips, there not looked highly upon in the performance department. I know ebay has a crap load of chips for z4's claiming anywhere from 10-30hp . . . right sure it does, however this one company on ebay REALLY stands by their chip, claiming 9-20hp gain or money back and they have 100% feedback. Not to mention its one of the more exspensive chips on ebay. Before I make a descision on buying one I wanted to get my fellow z4 owners opinions. Has anyone here seen this chip or have it on their car?? I included a link for the auction let me know what ya think! Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-Z4-Ne...item2eba649f6e
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I would stay away. It seems that the way it works is by sending bad data to the ECU so it thinks the mix is too lean.

Honestly if you want more performance you're better off saving up for an M. Only other thing I would do to a 3.0 is better tires.

And before someone takes my comment the wrong way, the 3.0i and si are fantastic cars. If you love yours, you can mod the hell out of it (supercharger, etc.). However if you're simply looking at performance per dollar, an M is a better deal.
      01-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
loyddobbler88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I would stay away. It seems that the way it works is by sending bad data to the ECU so it thinks the mix is too lean.

Honestly if you want more performance you're better off saving up for an M. Only other thing I would do to a 3.0 is better tires.

And before someone takes my comment the wrong way, the 3.0i and si are fantastic cars. If you love yours, you can mod the hell out of it (supercharger, etc.). However if you're simply looking at performance per dollar, an M is a better deal.
Hey man, I totally argree with you; with the amount of money one would spend to gain 100 hp would be better off just buying an M! In some cases it might even be cheaper and we all know it would hold value better too, But thanks for the input on the chip, I figured it was a little fishy. If ya dont mind me asking though what do you think of the cold air intakes? I know the one for a z4 is $350+, is it worth it you think? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I'd go for gearing instead, and maybe headers. Cold air intakes rarely show any gains, they do sound good though
      01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

While not impossible I'd say unlikely - particularly since it claims to work for all sorts of different motors. There are several better bets. Get an ECU tune from one of the legitimate tuning shops with a record with our motors. I got mine from Gintani/OE and it made an extra 10 rwhp on the dyno. If you want to pay a bit less (and get a bit less) many folks seemed pretty happy with the BMS Powerbox - a piggyback chip which essentially just advances the timing and then compensates by richening the mixture to avoid detonation. Most of these approaches also quicken throttle response (kind of like Sport mode) which gives a more noticeable kick in the pants than the extra 10 or so hp.

Any more than 10-15 extra hp in our cars and you're talking big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post

I like my si in stock form for its low end "pull small buildings across town" torque. But yes, if its raw unadulterated horsepower you are after, start with an M.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I'd go for gearing instead, and maybe headers. Cold air intakes rarely show any gains, they do sound good though
+1 on gearing. Cold air is great for sound, unproven for actual gains.
      01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

not sure what what engine your running but im working on the tune for the I that will take it from 212 HP to 275 HP just working out the bugs, these take time and hopefully work, you need the 3 stage manifold mod first, then play with the ecu, the SI has a better tourqe converter but the I has a better rear gear so not sure how it will perform but exciting news nontheless,
afterall a possable 60+HP gain is pretty sick for under a grand!

the M54 you can run a SC though the N52 is not recommended so this will be a more reliable way of adding HP without damaging the motor for the N52 guys.

i hope we can rap this up soon but excited and hope this works, even if it does not work it was still fun trying!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
loyddobbler88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
not sure what what engine your running but im working on the tune for the I that will take it from 212 HP to 275 HP just working out the bugs, these take time and hopefully work, you need the 3 stage manifold mod first, then play with the ecu, the SI has a better tourqe converter but the I has a better rear gear so not sure how it will perform but exciting news nontheless,
afterall a possable 60+HP gain is pretty sick for under a grand!

the M54 you can run a SC though the N52 is not recommended so this will be a more reliable way of adding HP without damaging the motor for the N52 guys.

i hope we can rap this up soon but excited and hope this works, even if it does not work it was still fun trying!
Yeah man thats sounds awesome, keep us posted on how it works out!
Appreciate 0