ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Crazy Road Rage Today

Had a crazy road rage incident today I thought I would share. This happened in my mini cooper, not the M.

I was driving home on surface streets, 35-40mph zone. Pull up to a stop light, waiting to turn right. The guy in front of me is just sitting there, no traffic, so I give a little honk to get him to move along (right on red). Nothing. Another little honk. Nothing. Light turns green, we both go, whatever.

He's in some riced up Mazda p.o.s., and he burns out just after pulling away from the light, and speeds up to... 35 mph. I'm laughing, and I pass him at maybe 40-45. No big deal.

All of a sudden he pulls up next to me on the right, window rolled down, and is literally screaming something about turning at the light. I used to live in Philly, so I flick him off, don't even turn my head, and pull away. Still, not a big deal, that kind of shit was not that unusual.

I stop at the next light, and he stops behind me, like 10 feet back. I'm looking in the mirror, and he gets out of his car, and starts walking up to my car. At this point I'm like, w.t.f, some fucking lunatic is behind me. Oh and he's still screaming something about turning at the light. So I roll my window down, and go what f**k are you doing? get back in your f**king car before I run you over. And I'm seriously freaked out at this point that the guy actually got out of his car. So I pull into the left turn lane and up a car to get farther away. The guy next to me (since I'm in the left turn lane; he was originally the guy right in front of me in my lane) has his window down, and he's looking around all freaked out, and is like what the hell is that guy doing? And I'm like, look out, he's f**king out of his car and freaking out. So I pull up even farther, and that the guy next to me pulls into the turn lane, spitting it with the travel lane, and blocking the lunatic from pulling up further.

So, yeah. wtf. Felt like I was in New Jersey for a minute.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Maybe he was going straight and did not want to turn at the light.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Crazy..... You never know what's going to push someone else's button.

As an aside, there are some jurisdictions where right turn on red is illegal.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Crazy..... You never know what's going to push someone else's button.

As an aside, there are some jurisdictions where right turn on red is illegal.
Excellent point. Was the guy local to the area? Was it a right turn only lane? He may just not have known if he was legally able to turn right on red. His reaction was of course completely uncalled for.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I wasn't there so I don't know what the surrounding traffic was like (I believe you when you say there was none) but I REALLY hate it when someone honks at me or my wife to turn right on red (especially since I almost always wait for a big gap in the M cause I have to take any parking lot/driveway/street transition slowly). If I'm sitting first at the light it's up to me to decide when it's safe to go based on what I can see, not the guy sitting behind me. Glad things didn't escalate any further and everything turned out alright for you.
      04-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Getting honked at may be annoying but the reaction was far in excess of any reasonable response in my opinion. I'm just glad that it didn't escalate to a physical altercation and that you were not harmed by this nut job.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp
I wasn't there so I don't know what the surrounding traffic was like (I believe you when you say there was none) but I REALLY hate it when someone honks at me or my wife to turn right on red (especially since I almost always wait for a big gap in the M cause I have to take any parking lot/driveway/street transition slowly). If I'm sitting first at the light it's up to me to decide when it's safe to go based on what I can see, not the guy sitting behind me. Glad things didn't escalate any further and everything turned out alright for you.
I'm ok with a polite, short honk, but someone leaning on the horn in that situation would irritate me for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

You never know who you are dealing with. Some people are complete jerks and some people have bad days. It is probably better not to honk and deal with the minor inconvenience. I had a similar situation (not as bad as yours just an exchange of words) last week. So, there are plenty of people out there that can't handle a honk (even if they are doing something wrong).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I saw a guy get out of his car once, and the truck he walked up to sprayed him in the face with pepper spray. Dude hobbled back to his car and drove off, I wish I followed him to see what happened next
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

i dont see a problem with giving a little honk at right turn at a red light, assuming it's not illegal or posted no turn on red. i do have an issue with the middle finger. 'fuck off' or 'go fuck yourself' can have a visceral reaction. being a philly guy i think you would know that. im an east coaster too and have been to philly, nj, nyc plenty of times to know that the finger can lead to aggressive behavior.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Stories like this is the reason I just ordered a Blackvue dr650-gw last weekend. Well, that, and somebody backed into my front bumper while my M was parallel-parked and of course just ran. Increasing stories of insurance frauds and bad Vancouver drivers are the other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Stuff like this is why I don't like keeping a gun in my car. I want it for the obvious situations where you're in peril, but I'm afraid some BS like this would escalate into me pulling it out.

People are nuts, and as times get tougher for the vast majority of people in this country, they are only going to be become more unhinged.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

They do that here all the time (not turning on red) even though it's perfectly legal unless posted. Pisses me off, but I usually wont honk. One of my favorite though is when you get a super slow sob when making a left turn. I remember I was behind this one bastard that was sooooo slow it was just him and me behind him making a left and I got caught in the middle of the freaking intersection when it turned red because of how slow this guy was going.

Speaking of road rage I have a friend who told me he use to get really bad road rage. Then one day he starts going off at this guy on the highway. They both ended up pulling over and my friend gets out of his car to confront the guy, out comes this HUGE sob! My friend said the dude beat the shit out of him and drove off. He was with his gf at the time and said she started laughing at him when he got back in the car for being such a moron.

I've personally only had one lunatic encounter and to this day I don't know what the dudes problem was. However me and a buddy were in my car and this dude pulls up next to us yelling all kinds of shit. He kept trying to get us to get out of the car, fuck that shit, I didnt even roll the window down. As soon as traffic cleared a bit I hauled ass and gtfo of the area.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #14
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I would only give a quick honk or two if we are in a Right Turn ONLY Lane (and no posted sign). Because you don't know if the person in front is turning RIGHT or not (unless he/she has the turn signal ON).
Road Rage is not worth the trouble! I usually laughter my ass off at those idiots (and that only made them much more upset
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Reminds me of this. FF to about 1:10:

Last edited by funkle; 04-10-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #16
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I would only give a quick honk or two if we are in a Right Turn ONLY Lane (and no posted sign). Because you don't know if the person in front is turning RIGHT or not (unless he/she has the turn signal ON).
Road Rage is not worth the trouble! I usually laughter my ass off at those idiots (and that only made them much more upset
We were in a right turn lane, otherwise I agree, I wouldn't honk.

I think me laughing while passing him after turning is what set him off.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

You can take John out of Philly, but you can't take Philly out of John