ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
jjr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Question Z4 E85 Front License Plate mount/ is there a actual OEM??

Hi,
I have been looking for a BMW OEM front license plate mount/bracket and have yet to find one, did BMW have one for the US cars??

I have seen some of the aftermarket and they really do nothing for me and that one that screws into the tow hook socket I think that someone in the know could just unscrew it and walk away and also do not like its location.

TIA,
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
schobyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster; 2012 Cayenne

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
Yes, there is a BMW part for this, but you have to drill holes in the front bumper. Yes, someone could steal your tow hook mount, possible but not probable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

BMW sells a black one under part 51118041503 that requires painting. Put a feeler out on the classified board and you are likely to find one from another member that already painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
jjr
Private
Rep

Thanks!!!!!

BTW wouldn't the holder be covered with the plate anyway like the rear one? So would painting be necessary??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
BMW sells a black one under part 51118041503 that requires painting. Put a feeler out on the classified board and you are likely to find one from another member that already painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr View Post
Thanks!!!!!

BTW wouldn't the holder be covered with the plate anyway like the rear one? So would painting be necessary??
It's a wedge shaped thing so the sides are visible. It probably wouldn't be the end of the world if you kept it unpainted but it will be noticeable. Here you can see it up front, painted.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Hi,
I have been looking for a BMW OEM front license plate mount/bracket and have yet to find one, did BMW have one for the US cars??

I have seen some of the aftermarket and they really do nothing for me and that one that screws into the tow hook socket I think that someone in the know could just unscrew it and walk away and also do not like its location.

TIA,
Someone could just unscrew the rear plate and walk away if they wanted, right?

I would pick an option that allows the front bumper to remain unscathed...

This is one option to use for the OEM bracket:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

I've got the OEM tow hook on mine. Side plate looks more clean in my opinion.
Sorry phone camera isn't that great but I took this couple days ago.
Name:  20150222.jpg
Views: 4315
Size:  638.4 KB

Oh and if someone steals a license plate tow hook bracket, you probably have a bigger problem. Consider moving lol
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,

TIA,
When I bought my car, it came with the OEM front license plate mount/bracket. The next day, I removed it

It's matches my car, sapphire black. PM me if interested, I'm sure we can workout a price
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #9
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
I have on unpainted that I never intend to use. Classified may yield one that is painted as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I can see if I still have mine. I use a tow hook plate holder. If I still have the OE plate holder, you can have it. I'm in the Chicagoland area.
      03-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, sorry for bumping an old thread. Thought I'd chime in. I just got my E86 in December from CarMax and it had a CarMax universal front plate holder attached to the bumper. I like everything on my BMWs to be original equipment so I ordered the E86 license plate holder. When I got it I went to mount it and I didn't like it at all. It mounts the plate up high and covers up the bottom lip of the kidney grills, so I didn't like the way it looked. I stuck with the CarMax universal plate mount. I saw them stacked up on a shelf at the CarMax I bought my car from, so I'm sure you could get one from them if you still need to. I like the CarMax one because it sits behind the plate and make the plate look like it is floating just in front of the bumper.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
jjr
Private
Rep

I picked up one of those tow hook mounts and do not like it! There cheesy to say the least and every time I have the car washed one of the guys usually hits it and then its tilted. Also it not mounted on one of the center holes there is a lot of flex and I'm afraid at speed the plate will bend back and one of the screws will scratch the bumper... The center mounting bolt (between the tow hook and license plate frame) I feel is way to small to really hold anything and I think one of these days it will just break off.

I have it tightened as much as I can as well as used blue lock tight w/ no avail. I believe that the E86 and E85 are two different mounts? Not at all interested in a aftermarket mount. I I wil just wait till I find a OEM one used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, sorry for bumping an old thread. Thought I'd chime in. I just got my E86 in December from CarMax and it had a CarMax universal front plate holder attached to the bumper. I like everything on my BMWs to be original equipment so I ordered the E86 license plate holder. When I got it I went to mount it and I didn't like it at all. It mounts the plate up high and covers up the bottom lip of the kidney grills, so I didn't like the way it looked. I stuck with the CarMax universal plate mount. I saw them stacked up on a shelf at the CarMax I bought my car from, so I'm sure you could get one from them if you still need to. I like the CarMax one because it sits behind the plate and make the plate look like it is floating just in front of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 04:48 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I picked up one of those tow hook mounts and do not like it! There cheesy to say the least and every time I have the car washed one of the guys usually hits it and then its tilted. Also it not mounted on one of the center holes there is a lot of flex and I'm afraid at speed the plate will bend back and one of the screws will scratch the bumper... The center mounting bolt (between the tow hook and license plate frame) I feel is way to small to really hold anything and I think one of these days it will just break off.

I have it tightened as much as I can as well as used blue lock tight w/ no avail. I believe that the E86 and E85 are two different mounts? Not at all interested in a aftermarket mount. I I wil just wait till I find a OEM one used
You can see in intoflatelines pic he posted that the OEM plate holder, when mounted correctly (conforming to the bumper profile), the top edge of the mount goes above the bottom lip of the kidney grills. I test-mounted mine and it looked stupid. The CarMax mount is not visible in anyway and keeps the plate off the bumper. Here's what it looked like with the CarMax plate on it.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
jjr
Private
Rep

Interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I use Skene design. Have the bracket painted black and go as low as possible. It looks nicer than covering the kidney and bumper

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Appreciate 0