ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
papak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Eccentric shaft sensor seal

Can the eccentric shaft sensor shield be replaced without removing the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I'd replied to your previous post identifying leak... not positive if it can be replaced without doing everything else, my guess is no. BUT, I already have all the parts ordered to do mine and they should be showing up in the next few days so I'll have first hand experience then. So if nobody else chimes in by then I'll be able to let you know. Expecting to do it next weekend since UPS seems to enjoy taking their time shipping to Oregon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
papak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Thanks. I've found a couple of good DIYs on the E90 forum for the R&R of the valve cover. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks but I'll probably do the same thing myself when I return.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Well I just tackled this today, fairly easy and straight forward. Although I must admit I've done this job on an M54 several times and although they are very different engines they are both BMWs and BMW tends to do things very similarly across all their products. Once I had everything apart it seems as though in my case it was my valvetronic gasket that was leaking and not the valve cover gasket but of well.
Anyway... the eccentric sensor gasket in theory could be replaced without removing the valve cover but I would highly recommend against it. Mine had hardened with age and was a pain to get off and I liked having the ability to inspect that the new one was properly seated from both the outside and inside of the valve cover.
Good luck with the job, it really is easy... especially compared to what the 3 series and x3 guys have to go through. We have a tone of space in our engine compartments.
      06-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Oh... and make sure you have all the right tools in advance... especially a torque wrench. Some of the angles are a bit odd so I used a few angled bits of various sizes and quite a few extensions. If you've worked on your car quite a bit already you'll probably have everything you need.... if now make sure you read the day posts and compile a list and go shopping.
      08-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
Well I just tackled this today, fairly easy and straight forward. Although I must admit I've done this job on an M54 several times and although they are very different engines they are both BMWs and BMW tends to do things very similarly across all their products. Once I had everything apart it seems as though in my case it was my valvetronic gasket that was leaking and not the valve cover gasket but of well.
Anyway... the eccentric sensor gasket in theory could be replaced without removing the valve cover but I would highly recommend against it. Mine had hardened with age and was a pain to get off and I liked having the ability to inspect that the new one was properly seated from both the outside and inside of the valve cover.
Good luck with the job, it really is easy... especially compared to what the 3 series and x3 guys have to go through. We have a tone of space in our engine compartments.
How long was the job? Did you bother replacing the valve cover gasket since that had to come off? Also I believe it was only 06 models that came with aluminum torx screws. I see you have an 07 Z... do you recall part numbers and quantities?

Also what symptoms did you guys experience that led you to replacing your eccentric shaft sensor?