ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
beanguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0

energy conservation mode,

I recently took my 2008 Z4 to a local non bmw mechanic for an oil change and a new battery. When I got it back the AC, defroster, and arable speed on the blower fan don't work. I took it back to him, and after 3 days, he tells me that the car is in "energy conservation mode," and he has put in a call to BMW for help.
Has anyone else run into this, and do you have any advise for getting everything to work again?
Thanks for the help. Love the car!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Pretty sure that's "transport mode".
Never happened to me, but I've seen a lot of talk about it.
Try a forum search.
3 days? Maybe you need a new mechanic.
      06-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Mine stays in the Energy Conservation Mode most of the time - with a Battery Tender connected to it!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanguy View Post
I recently took my 2008 Z4 to a local non bmw mechanic for an oil change and a new battery. When I got it back the AC, defroster, and arable speed on the blower fan don't work. I took it back to him, and after 3 days, he tells me that the car is in "energy conservation mode," and he has put in a call to BMW for help.
Has anyone else run into this, and do you have any advise for getting everything to work again?
Thanks for the help. Love the car!
You are most certainly dealing with Transport mode. Your car was improperly prepped and did not have the mode fully disabled allowing this to happen. I would call BMW NA and ask for them to authorize a dealer to reprogram the car free of charge as it should have been done from day 1..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
It certainly is transport mode. My battery had died during the winter and in the time it took me to replace the battery the car went into transport mode. The heater didn't work etc etc. I didn't need to bring it to bmw. An awesome Indy shop took it out of transport mode for me. Good luck
      06-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
beanguy
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately I'm 225 miles form the nearest dealer, so I feel like I need to give the local guys a chance to see if they can do it. I'll make a call to another local shop tomorrow, and see if he knows how to do it. If not, then I will try the dealership that sold the car originally. I will try the "tack" that the car was not properly prepped, that makes sense to me.
Again… thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately I'm 225 miles form the nearest dealer, so I feel like I need to give the local guys a chance to see if they can do it. I'll make a call to another local shop tomorrow, and see if he knows how to do it. If not, then I will try the dealership that sold the car originally. I will try the "tack" that the car was not properly prepped, that makes sense to me.
Again… thanks everyone!
You should consider getting your own BMW scanner software. It is about $50 on eBay.

If your indy shop have Autologic, they can take it out of transport mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
beanguy
Registered
Rep

Well the other local shop couldn't help me, so I called one of the Dealerships in Minneapolis. The first appointment I could get was June 24th, (two weeks out), and he said it would take about an hour. The shop rate is $140/ hr, and a 450 mile round trip. I suggested that the car may not have been prepped properly and got no response from him.
Does the code reader on Ebay allow you to clear codes and reprogram the computer?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Well the other local shop couldn't help me, so I called one of the Dealerships in Minneapolis. The first appointment I could get was June 24th, (two weeks out), and he said it would take about an hour. The shop rate is $140/ hr, and a 450 mile round trip. I suggested that the car may not have been prepped properly and got no response from him.
Does the code reader on Ebay allow you to clear codes and reprogram the computer?
There are many available. Here is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

I purchased from the seller, but the package do not support ADS mode. The packaged was returned for refund.

PA Soft is easier to use. It have a nice UI but only runs on XP. PM me if you are interested in PA Soft. I have the cable and software.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Never go back to that shop again.. Transport mode is a pain in the ass. As suggested, get your own cord and software and DIY..
      06-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

IMHO, everyone should have DIS and INPA.
Best $40 I ever spent.
      06-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
IMHO, everyone should have DIS and INPA.
Best $40 I ever spent.
so with this, you can get it out of transport mode? (i havent been in transport mode, but you never know)

how hard is it to get it out of Transport mode with this 40 buck kit StickMon? give us a bit of a how to please