ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

The first time I auto crossed my car, which I had only had for 3 days, I pushed the DTC button, thinking I was deactivating driver aids. The car was uncontrollable, and after the first run and switched it off. When I finally received my manual more than a month later, I realized that a quick push activates DTC, which is primarily for limping through snow & ice. A 3 second hold is required to deactivate DSC. This explains a lot.

By default, DTC is off, and DSC in on (am I correct?). Unlike the Mini, where one quick push deactivates DTC, and a 3 second hold deactivates DSC. I always drive the mini on the street with DTC off/DSC on, and then turn off DSC when racing.

Next time I AX the Z4M, I'm going to try shutting DSC off. Does anyone track with DSC on? From what I'm reading in this thread, the Z4M DSC is similar to the ZHP track mode, and could be left on as it interferes minimally. I try to avoid any sort of tail-out maneuvers, but as suggested by others, use the throttle modulate the rotation & balance through the corner. Would DSC interfere adversely at this level of control?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #68
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

There's no DTC on the MZ4.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #69
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
The first time I auto crossed my car, which I had only had for 3 days, I pushed the DTC button, thinking I was deactivating driver aids. The car was uncontrollable, and after the first run and switched it off. When I finally received my manual more than a month later, I realized that a quick push activates DTC, which is primarily for limping through snow & ice. A 3 second hold is required to deactivate DSC. This explains a lot.

By default, DTC is off, and DSC in on (am I correct?). Unlike the Mini, where one quick push deactivates DTC, and a 3 second hold deactivates DSC. I always drive the mini on the street with DTC off/DSC on, and then turn off DSC when racing.

Next time I AX the Z4M, I'm going to try shutting DSC off. Does anyone track with DSC on? From what I'm reading in this thread, the Z4M DSC is similar to the ZHP track mode, and could be left on as it interferes minimally. I try to avoid any sort of tail-out maneuvers, but as suggested by others, use the throttle modulate the rotation & balance through the corner. Would DSC interfere adversely at this level of control?
I only run DSC ON when it is wet conditions on the track.

Otherwise, it was off for autox and dry track.

And yes, you can still get sideways with DSC on. I hit oil slick in the wet and started going sideways down the straight until it started to kick in.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #70
PilotAlan
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I'll make one comment, after driving every kind of emergency vehicle (ambulances, police cars, paddy wagons, 30' box trucks, pickups, vans, RWD, FWD, 4WD, AWD) on roadways full of stupid people, in everything from wet to dry to snow to ice.

I know how to drive. But I keep the electronic aids on. When you have to take a sudden evasive, or get tagged in the back corner, the electronics can save you.
It's like ABS. If you know how to drive, you can brake in the straight and turn in the curve.
But in the mad world of the crazy roads, I've been forced to brake and turn, or brake with one side on dirt and one on pavement, etc etc. In the uncontrolled world of the streets, you may not get to drive the way you want, and the electronics with reflexes infinitely faster than yours can save you without you even realizing it.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #71
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

This is what happens when you de-activate the DSC ...

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #72
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty
This is what happens when you de-activate the DSC ...

Thread is still alive! Even if that Z4 isn't.
Appreciate 0