ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Cortes2141
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4M

Trouble with Remus Exhaust??

So I just bought some Remus mufflers for my z4m from a buddy of mine who sold his z4mc. They had 12k miles on them so they are already "broken in". I did the install myself on them and after a few runs down the road I have noticed that A). they dont seem to sound that bassy or really any different at all from my stock OEM. This kind of surprised me because all the forums seem to rave about how great they sound. and B). When they are under full load, basically WOT, they get really quite and sound almost like a vacuum leak or something. I mean there is no rasp, no bass, almost no 'exhaust' sound at all...just an odd sounding hummm or sucking sound or something.

A few side notes. They don't do it under high RPMs...only when I am really getting on it. When I installed them I did make sure the donut was replaced and tightened down the connection really tight. If there was an actual leak wouldn't the sound be louder anyways?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortes2141 View Post
So I just bought some Remus mufflers for my z4m from a buddy of mine who sold his z4mc.
What did they sound like on your buddies cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Cortes2141
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
What did they sound like on your buddies cars?
I never heard them on his car, but he said they sounded normal...I realize this seems a bit shady, but we work in the same squadron and I know he wouldn't sell me anything that was busted...
I will see if I cant get a recording and post it tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Remus sport really isn't that much louder than stock except under load at higher RPMs. It's a good-sounding mild no drone exhaust. It's also eliminates the "hang" of the stock mufflers and the tips and cans look much better. But don't expect loud--that is not characteristic of this exhaust. I had, and sold, mine a few years back.

Is it possible the connectors were tightened too much on one side leaving a leak? It's possible to do that. The connector ends should not touch and should have a pretty even gap. And "super tight" isn't required. There should not be a quiet or vacuum sound. That sounds like a leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Remus sport really isn't that much louder than stock except under load at higher RPMs. It's a good-sounding mild no drone exhaust. It's also eliminates the "hang" of the stock mufflers and the tips and cans look much better. But don't expect loud--that is not characteristic of this exhaust. I had, and sold, mine a few years back.

Is it possible the connectors were tightened too much on one side leaving a leak? It's possible to do that. The connector ends should not touch and should have a pretty even gap. And "super tight" isn't required. There should not be a quiet or vacuum sound. That sounds like a leak.
If anything, an exhaust leak from the flange would make things louder, wouldn't it? Something like this thread -> http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...muffler+delete

OP - Like Finnegan said, the Remus is one of the more docile systems on the market. I can't picture a defect in an exhaust causing it to be quieter (if anything, when I think of problem with an exhaust, I think of too loud). You could always consider replacing other exhaust components to free up the flow a bit and add more dB. Otherwise, I think your best bet is most likely selling the Remus setup and purchasing something known to be a bit louder. Check this section for the exhaust guide, it's got all the systems in there with a quick review.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

I've been looking for a Remus exhaust if you want to offload it....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Cortes2141
Private
Rep

Hey sorry I haven't followed up sooner. I wasn't able to get a good sound clip yet, however, I did not a slight rattle when at idle and momentarily hitting the throttle. I think the sound i described before is actually more of a resonance dronning the rattle. When I said it gets quieter its that the rattle drone actually replaces the sound of the exhaust itself. I was not actually looking for a 'loud' exhaust...just noticed that the sound mine is currently making under load isn't correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Remus on the M actually sound stock when cold. It gets louder as the engine/exhaust heats up. This characteristic is opposite of the Remus on my X5, which is louder when cold and gets softer as the car heats up...weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

If anything, an exhaust leak from the flange would make things louder, wouldn't it? Something like this thread -> http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...muffler+delete

OP - Like Finnegan said, the Remus is one of the more docile systems on the market. I can't picture a defect in an exhaust causing it to be quieter (if anything, when I think of problem with an exhaust, I think of too loud). You could always consider replacing other exhaust components to free up the flow a bit and add more dB. Otherwise, I think your best bet is most likely selling the Remus setup and purchasing something known to be a bit louder. Check this section for the exhaust guide, it's got all the systems in there with a quick review.
Yep, you're right, louder. But sounds are subjective--I was covering the bases with the hissing sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

I just installed Remus cans on my Z4M about 2 weeks ago. It's not much loader than stock, but there is a difference when heated up. With the top up I can hardly hear it. With the top down its load enough to appreciate its low tone but not annoy anyone around you. When cruising on the freeway it sound no different than stock, really quiet. WOT it sounds pretty cool in my opinion.
      05-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
Cortes2141
Private
Rep

Hey all, thanks for the replies. It seems now that the noise has settled down and everything seems to just fine. I think that it was in fact a rattling from resonance. When I installed them I did have to mash the rubber hangar in order to get the bolt holes to line up, so its possible there was some metal on metal that, after some road times and bumps, finally settled into place.
Appreciate 0