ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
eHelmholtz
TARDIS
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
...And I'd do it again.
Santov - well done on the wife and kids!

I've never driven a Prius - is the handling and acceleration as bad as they say? I drive a Chevy Volt daily and on the low end with 273 lb-ft torque, I find it really fun driving. Of course, the weekends are a different kind of fun with the roar of the roadster's engine and the wind in my face!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Well we just passed 3000 miles, so I've had more seat time. My wife drives the car most of the time, but as a couple we've changed our weekly schedule ALOT to take advantage of the Prius. We're averaging 48MPG which blows my mind.

The handling on the Prius I'd say is a little better than my 2007 Civic EX sedan. The Civic steering was quicker, but the suspension was a wet sponge. The Prius is way heavier and you can feel heft shift left and right in tight curves BUT Toyota did an excellent job making the suspension and steering beefy. On freeway dips and cracks don't upset the car. Freeway rides are incredibly smooth.

I know it would loose in a lapped event, but it's really not that bad to drive. For first timers the feedback through the throttle makes people drive like they're afraid to step on the gas. I think it's a combination of a very non-linear throttle and ultra quiet when in EV. The crazy center guages and digital dashboard really distract first timers. Just now am I getting used to it and driving it like a "normal" car.

Freeway passing in PWR (power) mode is surprisingly quick. 65 to 80ish is pretty decent. I'd say the Prius is slowest 10-40. Cruising at 80MPH really hit MPG though. On the way down to LA we were fully loaded with a ton of luggage 2 adults and a baby. We averaged 44MPG. On the way home my wife drove mostly 80MPH and we averaged 40MPG. Still SF to LA on $37 of gas? With a comfortable ride? Insane!

I really wanted a Chevy Cruze. Mostly because I wanted to buy American, but I also like the style inside and out. But Cruze we don't get the Cruze wagon. The Volt doesn't work for us since our one way trip is 35 miles, so my wife would be driving gas-only most of the way home, then I'd be gas only round trip for my night gig. Plus the Volt was way out of budget and only in sedan, not wagon flavors.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Why can't you install a car seat? My facelift Z4 has LATCH tethers on the passenger seat to attach a rear-facing child seat, and there is a switch to turn off the passenger airbag. I don't know if all model years had LATCH mounting points (two small metal loops at the inside end of the seat cushion), but I believe that all north American Z4s have the airbag ON / OFF key switch adjacent to the passenger door hinge (visible with the passenger door opened).

You may be correct, or rather, you probably are correct....but this falls more into the category of keeping the wife happy if you know what I mean. I have nothing to back this up, but its generally viewed to be safer if a car seat is in the backseat of a vehicle. While I'm sure there are ways to install a car seat in a Z4, it's just not the safest option if you have other vehicles available.