ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
JVT Headers, stock section 1, SuperSprint section 2, SuperSprint Race Cans. There is drone between 2900-3300ish.
Great Vids! We need to hook up again this summer. Any chance you'll be back up this way?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #24
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Great Vids! We need to hook up again this summer. Any chance you'll be back up this way?
Thanks my man! I am going to try and go out and get a nice video of the exhaust tonight to highlight the sound.

I will for sure be back up in Canada at some point next summer for 1 or a couple CSCS time attacks. We don't have those style events down here in America

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

hahahaha I just read this thread and got a really good laugh @ the avatar issue
I actually personally wasn't expecting anyone else to be using this avatar, but when I did see some others with it, I tried to change it to Yoshi or something, which is also one of my childhood heroes
But this forum doesn't allow animated GIFs

lol sorry OP, I wasn't personally about to tell you to change your avatar or anything, but I like yours the way it is now anyhow!

Back on topic: I prefer SuperSprint sound on our cars. Everything else either has too much rasp, or doesn't sound as good up high. But that's just me

I'm going with JVT headers, B&M drop-in filter, SuperSprint Race cannisters, and Active Autowerk ECU tune. This combo as-is should yield me at least 315rwhp, and around 260rwtq.
I'm hoping for more in both hp & tq, but we shall see.

If I can find a good deal on SuperSprint x-pipe and/or connecting pipe, I'll put those in as well =]

Last edited by mfanatic325; 12-11-2010 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #26
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
hahahaha I just read this thread and got a really good laugh @ the avatar issue
I actually personally wasn't expecting anyone else to be using this avatar, but when I did see some others with it, I tried to change it to Yoshi or something, which is also one of my childhood heroes
But this forum doesn't allow animated GIFs

lol sorry OP, I wasn't personally about to tell you to change your avatar or anything, but I like yours the way it is now anyhow!

Back on topic: I prefer SuperSprint sound on our cars. Everything else either has too much rasp, or doesn't sound as good up high. But that's just me

I'm going with JVT headers, B&M drop-in filter, SuperSprint Race cannisters, and Active Autowerk ECU tune. This combo as-is should yield me at least 315rwhp, and around 260rwtq.
I'm hoping for more in both hp & tq, but we shall see.

If I can find a good deal on SuperSprint x-pipe and/or connecting pipe, I'll put those in as well =]

Haha no worries on the Avatar thing, I was just too lazy to change it at first I just needed a little motivation lol.

Yeah this exhaust thing is a real pickle. I like the S54 rasp (very distinctive) but the problem is nobody can make an exhaust video worth a damn haha. And I think there IS a big sound difference between the NA and Euro cars sound wise so you never know what car the exhaust is on. I also curbed two of my rims in a winter drifting...incident haha, so they're now officially my winter rims only. I might just say to hell with it and get the RPI "mufflers" for a season so I can buy some rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is a video clip.... well more of a sound clip of my set up. Some people were wondering what my setup sounded like so I decided to go out and film it with a go pro. It is at night and the go-pro is mounted on the rear bumper next to the exhaust pipes.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #28
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #29
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

haha interesting take on the recording there. I guess I'll do a recording once I get all my stuff installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
Yeah this exhaust thing is a real pickle. I like the S54 rasp (very distinctive) but the problem is nobody can make an exhaust video worth a damn haha. And I think there IS a big sound difference between the NA and Euro cars sound wise so you never know what car the exhaust is on.
Really? Are you sure you like the rasp? Cuz I really hate it lolll...it makes me cringe.

As for US vs. Euro, I think the difference is in the intake and/or headers? One or both of those items are different on the Euro cars, no? Less stringent emissions regulations, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^euro spec z4m's only have primary cats in section 1 vs na spec z4m's with primary cats in the headers and secondary cats in section 1. as far as i'm aware, there is no intake differences between euro and na.

thanks for the video recording f360c. did u modify ur intake? honestly, the s54's song drowns out ur exhaust setup as the throttle is opened into the higher revs.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #31
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post

thanks for the video recording f360c. did u modify ur intake? honestly, the s54's song drowns out ur exhaust setup as the throttle is opened into the higher revs.
That sound is ALL exhaust. I had the camera mounted low on the rear hatch right next to the BMW roundel pointed towards the exhaust tips. That way you could really hear the exhaust only and especially all the back fires.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #32
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
And this how the RPI's sound, please ignore the dodgy Greek signs in the beginning...

I've got several in-car videos also. FYI they drone A LOT at 2.5-3.2k RPM...
      12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
And this how the RPI's sound, please ignore the dodgy Greek signs in the beginning...

GREAT video!! Yup I like that sound, with the NA exhaust manifolds it should tame them just enough to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #34
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post

This video sold me on the rpi axle-back. I've heard some tales about the exhaust being too loud to live with. What's your opinion?
      12-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Rogue Engineering Diablo cans sound AWESOME - love the look - love the throaty sound - saved significant weight over OEM - sounds like a sport car now.
      12-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #36
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Rogue Engineering Diablo cans sound AWESOME - love the look - love the throaty sound - saved significant weight over OEM - sounds like a sport car now.
The rogue has come back into the running for me. I wasn't aware they had an X pipe option, so that'll work great if the cans turn out to be too quiet. And of course the price is right.
Appreciate 0