ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Dinan package for the Z4?

I'm looking into doing something as far as tuning to my Z4. I was trying to weigh my options since I have a 3.0i with the Steptronic. I don't make a habit of beating on my car but do enjoy "Spirited driving" once in a while. I figure Dinan since it wouldn't interfere with my warranty if I go through an authorized dealer. I priced it with these options...

Intake
Throttle body
Exhaust
Tuning
Suspension

I would get the pedals and carpets too. The tally came to about 5500 roughly. Any thoughts or sugestions? Reviews?

I know the Z4 is pretty unique but I would like to be a little more than that. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
I'm looking into doing something as far as tuning to my Z4. I was trying to weigh my options since I have a 3.0i with the Steptronic. I don't make a habit of beating on my car but do enjoy "Spirited driving" once in a while. I figure Dinan since it wouldn't interfere with my warranty if I go through an authorized dealer. I priced it with these options...

Intake
Throttle body
Exhaust
Tuning
Suspension

I would get the pedals and carpets too. The tally came to about 5500 roughly. Any thoughts or sugestions? Reviews?

I know the Z4 is pretty unique but I would like to be a little more than that. Thanks
Steve,

Have you explored the option of just selling or trading in your Z4 and picking up a Z4M roadster or coupe and saving yourself the need to perform such extensive modifications on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
What are your goals for the car? Sound? Looks? Exclusivity? Performance?

Sound - Start with the sound generator mod if your car has the sound generator (I just learned some cars didn't come with it from the factory). Just take off the sound generator and pull out the foam. It's completely reversible and only takes a few minutes.

Looks/exclusivity - Dinan makes good products at an extremely high cost. A lot of what you pay for with the Dinan badge is R&D for a slightly better or finely-tuned product. I wouldn't say they're always the best, but they do their research and you're probably going to get a solid product in the end. And pay for it. Did I mention price? The Dinan products do look good and are probably nice bragging points. I've considered going with their suspension setup for my 3.0i, but I've talked with a few guys who have a lot of track time (and really know what they are talking about) that are on their fourth or fifth aftermarket setup, and can offer track-proven alternative recommendations that don't cost nearly as much.

Performance - Your best bang for the buck is going to be trading in your car for a faster one, either an SI or an M. I know some guys have tried to get the manifold from the SI and retune the ECU, but that's something you'll have to research to see if the gains justify the cost. Overall, expect to spend a lot of money for minimal gains.

Summary: If your goal is solely performance, look to get a new car. If it's anything else, Dinan sounds like a good choice. We drive Z4s, so we care more about the overall package than test numbers. Dinan packages will make your car more pleasurable to drive, slightly faster, and much more exclusive. If those are your goals, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
..... I've considered going with their suspension setup for my 3.0i, but I've talked with a few guys who have a lot of track time (and really know what they are talking about) that are on their fourth or fifth aftermarket setup, and can offer track-proven alternative recommendations that don't cost nearly as much.
Always interested in options for us non-M cars. Can you provide any specifics? TIA
      10-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i'd skip all that stuff on your list. dinan throttle body is ridicuously expensive and will net you 3hp? all aftermarket intakes besides gruppe m are inferior to stock imo. i'd focus my money on suspension and braking. unless you get a sc (which isn't available for the n52), you're not going to get any serious power gains.

if your car was not equipped with the sport pkg / button, i'd consider doing the sport button retrofit mod just for the throttle response. i know AA just released a tune and i'm considering that but at 400, it's not that convincing...

and as someone mentioned, for $5500, you could easily get a m roadster and still have cash left over. makes no sense to spend that much on mods...
      10-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I've talked to nlink over on bimmerforums before and gotten some recommendations. He mainly autocrosses, and the adjective "avid" is an extreme understatement. You can try a search over there to get the specifics of his setup. He has a pre-facelift 3.0i.

I'm at a crossroads right now with deciding what I want to do with my 3.0i. It has 110k miles and needs new shocks, and if I'm going to dump some money into it I'd like to go all the way. Do I want to use it for autocross and leave my M for the track? Do I want it for a weekend car that only sees spirited driving? Or do I just want to sell it? The mod bug is biting hard, and I'd like to keep my M under warranty. Plus mods are just fun.

If I autocross I'll go with his setup as a starting point (like they say, you may not be able to afford to make all of the mistakes yourself - learn from others), but if I decide autocross/track only on occasion, I'll go with Dinan's package.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
at 110k, why not just keep that your daily and take your m to the track? m is already track ready for the most part, and you'd really get your money's worth on that car.
      10-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Dutch Isles
United_States
Rep
Drives: . . . like a freak'n Warthog!

[QUOTE=pokeybritches;8217187]What are your goals for the car? Sound? Looks? Exclusivity? Performance?

Sound - Start with the sound generator mod if your car has the sound generator (I just learned some cars didn't come with it from the factory). Just take off the sound generator and pull out the foam. It's completely reversible and only takes a few minutes.

Hello Pokeybritches -
Can you expand on the sound generator item? I am not sure what that is, but it sounds interesting. Maybe something I'd like to do.
      10-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
all aftermarket intakes besides gruppe m are inferior to stock imo.
If I remember correctly, the Dinan intake is a cone filter inside a closed, stock-like airbox. All those arguments about the Gruppe M, aFe, etc. sucking up hot air from the engine (which I don't subscribe to), and losing some sort of pressurizing effect from the stock system, are null and void. Plus you get the added airflow of a high-flow filter. Last I checked it was $300, so it's a mod that might actually be worth it. It just won't give you the same sound as an open-element filter. The sound generator mod would help with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
at 110k, why not just keep that your daily and take your m to the track? m is already track ready for the most part, and you'd really get your money's worth on that car.
I have an old Grand Cherokee that I'll start daily driving. At 110k miles, things are going to start to wear out and need to be replaced. My thinking is, "Why not replace them with something better instead of going back to OEM?" I also want to tinker with different suspension settings and basically learn how it affects the car. I doubt I could get more than $10k for the car, even in the excellent mechanical condition it's in, and I know where all the miles have been.

The M is faster than 99% of the other cars on the road, maybe even 99.99%. It's also under CPO and full maintenance warranty until 100k miles, so I don't want to start messing with things until I'm off warranty in January 2013.

Then there's that mod bug. I want to take something and make it better, have the satisfaction of doing it myself, and end up with a product that's very unique. I'd rather do it on a car that's quick stock, instead of very quick. In the end if I screw something up, it's only a $10k car instead of a $25k car. And, if I eventually want to go the FI route, I'd rather have two cars with a usable 330-360 hp than one with an "eh" 225 hp and another with a (potentially unusable, on the street at least) 445 hp- and lose the fact that I have a built NA engine. What it really boils down to though, is I want something to tinker with, don't want to screw up a warranty, I already own a car that's already depreciated about as far as it's going to significantly depreciate, and I'm going to replaced worn out parts with better ones vice good parts with better ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Isles View Post
Hello Pokeybritches -
Can you expand on the sound generator item? I am not sure what that is, but it sounds interesting. Maybe something I'd like to do.
You'd probably be better off trying a search. There's a DIY out there floating around on one of the forums. It's very easy though. Some cars came with a "sound generator" which is essentially a tube that pipes the engine note into the cabin. There's a piece of foam in there to keep the volume down to marketable levels. All you do is take the tube off, pull out the foam, and put it back on.

I don't know if the sound generator is a sport package thing or is related to your engine size. My 3.0i has the sport package and sound generator. With the mod it's a little too resonant for me top-up under full throttle. However, top-down it sounds GREAT. I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

howdy! im gettin ready to do the manifold swap in my 3.0I, and will be posting the full DIY with pics soon as i get my car back from the dealer.

are cars already have the wires and such for the SI 3 stage intake ready to go so all you need to do is swap manifolds.

you can buy a used one here www.car-part.com theirs a few used 06 ones last time i checked for 200 bucks, that alone will net you 10hp dino proven.
the software you need will take advantage of the 3 stage intake manifold for a net gain of 45hp so it will make you to SI levels.

look to spend 200 on the intake used 900 new and 400 for the gitanni tune or AAW tune coming soon i think.

you can either go with the stock BMW SI tune or a Tuned SI Tune theirfore hypathetically making more than an SI for possably as little as 600 dollars.

so a net gain of 45 HP for as little as 600 dollars if all pans out. i will let everyone know once its done.

we have the same exhaust and intake as an SI all that is different is ECU mapping 3 stage intake and bigger brakes and some exhaust tips and badging other than that everything is the same.

the exhaust and intake will net you little gains for a lot of money compaired to this mod.

but in all i stress to wait till all is done as Im not sure of another 3.0I has done this yet so everything is in theory, so we shall see.

one of the reasons i didnt get the M is the maintenence and other factors, the n52 motor is very durrable but not much in the world of mods. plus not as exspensive incase you need parts for but that may not matter to you!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
howdy! im gettin ready to do the manifold swap in my 3.0I, and will be posting the full DIY with pics soon as i get my car back from the dealer.

are cars already have the wires and such for the SI 3 stage intake ready to go so all you need to do is swap manifolds.

you can buy a used one here www.car-part.com theirs a few used 06 ones last time i checked for 200 bucks, that alone will net you 10hp dino proven.
the software you need will take advantage of the 3 stage intake manifold for a net gain of 45hp so it will make you to SI levels.

look to spend 200 on the intake used 900 new and 400 for the gitanni tune or AAW tune coming soon i think.

you can either go with the stock BMW SI tune or a Tuned SI Tune theirfore hypathetically making more than an SI for possably as little as 600 dollars.

so a net gain of 45 HP for as little as 600 dollars if all pans out. i will let everyone know once its done.

we have the same exhaust and intake as an SI all that is different is ECU mapping 3 stage intake and bigger brakes and some exhaust tips and badging other than that everything is the same.

the exhaust and intake will net you little gains for a lot of money compaired to this mod.

but in all i stress to wait till all is done as Im not sure of another 3.0I has done this yet so everything is in theory, so we shall see.

one of the reasons i didnt get the M is the maintenence and other factors, the n52 motor is very durrable but not much in the world of mods. plus not as exspensive incase you need parts for but that may not matter to you!
pressing enter 2x after each sentence is not needed.
      10-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Are you going to post a before and after dyno?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yea sorry typing to fast and not proof reading makes sloppy posts.

yea I will def give the after dyno. since its getting ready for its winter nap.
but will post the swap while its in the garage. its just a bone stock z4 3.0I so i figure the numbers will be close to stock form or other bone stock Z4's

then the numbers I get after the tune will really tell how much of an increase.

if its close to par with the stock SI's then we know it works.

im really leaning to just stick to the stock SI's programming the more I think about it just for the peace of mind, but who knows still considering the SI tuned vertion which they say is good for 265 to 275hp. With the lighter weight of the N52 motor that should help in really feeling the extra ponies.

i would want to do a before dyno but dont have the time right now and kinda want to just jump into the swap. what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Quote:

Intake
Throttle body
Exhaust
Tuning
Suspension

well, you have a couple of options. as far as i know the only engine/exhaust dinan product for 06+ is the throttle body and exhaust. the intake is for the 03-05 as is the software. you have the sport package. do you want to focus on suspension/brakes? or engine/exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
yea sorry typing to fast and not proof reading makes sloppy posts.

yea I will def give the after dyno. since its getting ready for its winter nap.
but will post the swap while its in the garage. its just a bone stock z4 3.0I so i figure the numbers will be close to stock form or other bone stock Z4's

then the numbers I get after the tune will really tell how much of an increase.

if its close to par with the stock SI's then we know it works.

im really leaning to just stick to the stock SI's programming the more I think about it just for the peace of mind, but who knows still considering the SI tuned vertion which they say is good for 265 to 275hp. With the lighter weight of the N52 motor that should help in really feeling the extra ponies.

i would want to do a before dyno but dont have the time right now and kinda want to just jump into the swap. what do you guys think?
Every dyno reads differently. You really should do a before and after on the same dyno under the same conditions, otherwise you won't have usable results. Dynos are really only good for comparing a horsepower delta (change), not putting out exact numbers. You never know... you could cheat yourself out of some very good results if you only do one run on a dyno that reads low.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Every dyno reads differently. You really should do a before and after on the same dyno under the same conditions, otherwise you won't have usable results. Dynos are really only good for comparing a horsepower delta (change), not putting out exact numbers. You never know... you could cheat yourself out of some very good results if you only do one run on a dyno that reads low.

yea i know, but truthfully i have driven both the SI and own the I and know how fast it is vs the other. one thing that i can do that really is what we care about is time trials anyway. i will take 0 to 60 times using full GPS measuring devise and get good video of acceleration times and show both before and after.. their are no good dyno's here in fort wyane IN so i have no idea how i can take it to one. their is one i know of back home in michigan but wont get back their till next year spring.

either way this mod should yeild the 45hp reguardless as we are using everything the SI uses down to the ECU software so im not to worried. doller for doller its the best mod out their just very new and not many have done it so its really going to take a few people to really get the movement going.

mine however is an automatic as its the wifes car! so not sure how the auto will make a difference in acceleration, i know its a tad slower than a stick but should be close.

my contribution will be to list the DIY and such and will post a dyno in the spring as its parked in november for the year. and a few hp yes but if its near SI territory then we will know it will work regurdless as their is a 45 HP deficit between the two. as well as tourqe.

ill kepp you posted. from what i read its a 1 to 2 hours to change out the intake manifold with moderate exp.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

I can see everyone's point of view so far from the replies. I just got an e-mail from the salesman that sold me my current car. He told me that they have an E85M that's getting prepped for sale. The reason why I didn't originally get the M that was there was they wouldn't budge any more on the asking price given that it was an M. The one they have now is an 06 with 46K on the clock and it's not a CPO car as listed. It's Interlagos with extended Black leather. They are asking 28.8 for it but NADA has it listed for around 27,400. The other problem is that I just bought my 3.0i and my first payment isn't till next month. I just got my plates and I'm pretty sure the lovely lady who is my wife will tell me not no but hell NO given the circumstances. Just out of curiosity sake I'm going to go check it out and see what the numbers are if I should make the switch. NADA listed my car right at 30K as a trade so I will be over by about 2K since I had some left over from my trade that they paid off. Probably won't happen but who knows. Crazier things have happened lately.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Dinan stuff doesn't keep your warranty, and it's mostly overpriced.
      10-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #21
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I can see everyone's point of view so far from the replies. I just got an e-mail from the salesman that sold me my current car. He told me that they have an E85M that's getting prepped for sale. The reason why I didn't originally get the M that was there was they wouldn't budge any more on the asking price given that it was an M. The one they have now is an 06 with 46K on the clock and it's not a CPO car as listed. It's Interlagos with extended Black leather. They are asking 28.8 for it but NADA has it listed for around 27,400. The other problem is that I just bought my 3.0i and my first payment isn't till next month. I just got my plates and I'm pretty sure the lovely lady who is my wife will tell me not no but hell NO given the circumstances. Just out of curiosity sake I'm going to go check it out and see what the numbers are if I should make the switch. NADA listed my car right at 30K as a trade so I will be over by about 2K since I had some left over from my trade that they paid off. Probably won't happen but who knows. Crazier things have happened lately.

If you can pay 2K-4K more and get the M, it's definitely worth it, but I think for 30K and change you should be able to get much lower mileage.

Don't forget the old addage. "You live once".
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

I know it's worth it but I don't think I will be able to do it. I'm going to just enjoy my car for a couple of years.
Appreciate 0