ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

HPDE in the rain

Hello everyone,

I've got the itch to do another track event, but the only one that fits my schedule (and isn't sold out) in the forseeable future is Nov. 23rd at Laguna Seca. I know that rain is a possibility, so I'd like some input on that. I've only done one HPDE before and it was dry.

Is it worth spending $345 () knowing that it could rain? For those that have done events in the rain, how wet does the interior get? I'd hate to have a soaked interior on my DD.

Thanks!

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I've run a wet track before. Not pouring rain, but a long steady light rain.

As for how wet the car gets inside, it wasn't that bad, nothing a towel didn't address. (But remember, not pouring rain, just steady light rain.)

What would concern me is the amount of run-off room and how muddy the off track area was. Catching a wheel in a slight off in deep mud would not be good, a track with a lot of walls would not make me very comfortable either, it's really hard to recover from a mistake period, even more so in the rain. Had the rain really made a mess of the off areas, I probably would have stopped running.

The plus side of running in the rain with a decent amount of tread was that you learn a lot. Abrupt inputs are a really bad idea (well, duh)! It requires adjustments in braking, speed, line, and throttle (obvious).

I got into and out of a bit of trouble on turn at Thill 11 due to not being easy and gradual enough on the throttle. Then again, so did just about every one else in my (noob--4 days for at the time) run group. Basically I ended up slowing things down a lot and braking a lot sooner (threshold braking takes on a very different meaning in wet conditions), and really e a s i n g on the throttle. Bottom line your traction budget is severely limited, and mistakes are going to be amplified, which means you can learn a lot (I did).

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-19-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I've never been, so please explain how the interior could get wet
      10-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I've never been, so please explain how the interior could get wet
I assume it's because they need to keep the windows down?
      10-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I've run Laguna Seca in pouring rain before, and it was A BLAST!!!

If you have decent car-control, I highly recommend at least one rainy HPDE
It does wonders in teaching a driver to be alert (try to look far ahead at all times!) and to be extremely smooth and early with inputs.

I was running with DSC off all day, albeit I had General Exclaim UHPs at the time, which is how I found out that those tires are pretty damn good!
I tracked the weekend after that rainy event, and it was dry the following weekend. The tires still performed very well up to par
Tracking in the rain is dangerous only if you go off-course lol. Otherwise, it's just as much fun as a dry day. Also, you learn more on wet days out

The car does not get very wet on the inside at all, unless you leave your windows down in the paddock and don't have a canopy or any other form of covering. I was able to run just under 2 minutes per lap in the rain, which isn't all too bad I suppose.
In the dry though, my best has been 1:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
I assume it's because they need to keep the windows down?
Correct. However, most track hosts are lenient enough to allow you to pull up the windows for the sake of keeping your interior drier rather than not. It honestly isn't a big deal though to me, especially since water doesn't spray in from the ground or anything. I personally also like the fresh air while on track, since it gets heated inside with "try-pants" on
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Some events will allow you to run events in the rain with the windows up.

Make sure you've got a good set of treaded tires to help channel the water, and some towels to dry up the interior in case you get any water in during the run. Running in the rain is a great way to learn and practice car control. A few things to remember The line is different than the standard line,be careful on surface changes from asphalt to concrete, and watch for painted lines like the start finish and barrier lines, these tend to get slick and you may need to lift slightly prior to hitting them.
      10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the input. It sounds like it would be a good experience to have. 90% of the time I drive my car I have the windows down, and the track is no exception...just love to hear that S54 I still hope it won't rain, but now I know it won't matter if it does.

I'm running the stock Contis (only have a few thousand miles on them), so that shouldn't be an issue. What is the consensus on traction control in the rain, DSC on or off? I've actually never driven the car before in the rain! So I'll probably start with DSC on, but is it worth turning off for experience sake?

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

If you've got a bunch of experience, turn it off. If you're not comftorable doing so, start with it on and then take it off after a session or two. This way you're learning how to manage the car vs. the car managing you. Just remember at a DE the pace is up to you, so even with it off you drive at a pace you feel comftorable and gradually increase your inputs to your comfort level.
      10-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Yeah start with DSC on and relatively slow pace, with the best lines you can muster
Then gradually pick up your pace throughout the day and/or session.
Then DSC off when you're ready.

To be honest though, I find that DSC off is more predictable than DSC on. Therefore, I always turn DSC off if I'm going to be driving spirtedly (and responsibly of course)

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-20-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great, thanks again for the advice

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Driving in the rain will teach you smoothness in a way you will never understand on dry pavement. You must BELIEVE that you have the grip....

Last edited by Shipkiller; 10-22-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Driving in the rain will tech you smoothness in a way you will never understand on dry pavement. You must BELIEVE that you have the grip....
I'm smooth as butter after a rainy day
Appreciate 0