ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Z4M Power Steering Fluid Change Flush ? HELP

Getting ready to change out ALL FLUIDS in my Roadster. Trying to decide what to do myself, what to have the indi do ( since I'm lift challenged or I could do them all ) Did oil right after purchase. Got a quote for $200 for a complete Tranny flush, I now think that this is NOT needed in my 6 Spd, although quoter knew this. Going to be taking my first Blackstone samples for oil/tran/diff and install all 3 Dimple Magnetic plugs: just because. Coolant I will want a full evac and not just drain/fill. Brakes with an extra pair of hands should be doable. Keep Master Full, open up bleeder one at a time on each wheel/right ? Clutch, same ?
Then comes the power steering fluid...I went deep into DIY....nothing. I did see that someone suggested using a turkey baster, then refill...NO. I want it all out, all flushed, all clean like new. New hoses, new filter ( still not sure if there is just a screen, or also an actual reservoir/filter for PS ?). As far as the fluid, am I right that Castrol Transmax ATF is correct ?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I will say I did find a Z4 (non M) Power Steering Reservoir Change on Pelican Parts. Not sure if the best way to go may just be to spend the time and money and buy a whole new reservoir. Write up says use ATF, but in parts to buy next to it they list Pentosin CHF 11S, which only adds to my confusion....Grrrr

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 04-11-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

ATF.
I went through the same confusion years ago when I replaced the expansion hose.
If the hose isn't held in the correct position when the banjos are tightened it can end up against the oil pan.
Wore a hole 1/2 way through mine. Luckily I caught it before it popped.

Just checked. I used Valvoline Maxlife DEX/Merc.

Last edited by StickMon; 04-24-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      04-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF after asking around last year- no issues.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      10-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

My steering is feeling a little "different", maybe slightly notchy at very low speed. Thinking of changing the fluid. Since the airbox has to come off to access the fluid and the procedures I've seen calls for running the engine/pump while cycling out old fluid and mixing with new, what have other people done? Also, I've read that the filter in the reservoir is not replaceable and many replace the reservoir as well. Would love to hear from folks that have done this. Thanks

Last edited by elerner61; 05-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: typo "airbag"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Just checked. I used Valvoline Maxlife DEX/Merc.
I turkey-basted one qt of Valvoline Dexron VI (compatible with OE fill) and then a qt of MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF (same as StickMon used). Considering the age of these cars the seal conditioners in Maxlife should prove to be useful insurance against leaks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Then comes the power steering fluid...I went deep into DIY....nothing. I did see that someone suggested using a turkey baster, then refill...NO. I want it all out, all flushed, all clean like new. New hoses, new filter ( still not sure if there is just a screen, or also an actual reservoir/filter for PS ?). As far as the fluid, am I right that Castrol Transmax ATF is correct ?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I will say I did find a Z4 (non M) Power Steering Reservoir Change on Pelican Parts. Not sure if the best way to go may just be to spend the time and money and buy a whole new reservoir. Write up says use ATF, but in parts to buy next to it they list Pentosin CHF 11S, which only adds to my confusion....Grrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
My steering is feeling a little "different", maybe slightly notchy at very low speed. Thinking of changing the fluid. Since the airbag has to come off to access the fluid and the procedures I've seen calls for running the engine/pump while cycling out old fluid and mixing with new, what have other people done? Also, I've read that the filter in the reservoir is not replaceable and many replace the reservoir as well. Would love to hear from folks that have done this. Thanks
I see no need to replace the reservoir if it's OK or to worry about getting the last ounce or two of old fluid out. Put the turkey baster (gently) directly against the filter and after sucking out some fluid look for black particulates. I've done a few of these on other cars and twice have seen black bits come off the filter screen on a first fluid replacement procedure. Anything on the filter screen seems to come off the first four or so suctions of the baster. Using two qts total of fluid strikes me as the way to go for a thorough but still easy job.

Last edited by m5m3mc; 10-15-2017 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
elerner61
Major
Rep

Thanks for the advice. But what about the procedure since we have no access to the reservoir (to remove mix of old and new fluid) while the airbox is off? Is it a constant shuffle of the airbox?
1. Remove airbox
2. Use baster to remove fluid from reservoir
3. Add new fluid to reservoir
4. Install airbox
5. Start engine, turn steering lock-to-lock a few times, wait a few minutes
6. Kill engine, remove airbox
7. Repeat #2 through #5 until fluid in reservoir looks brand new

I'd like to not throw any codes if I can avoid it.

Last edited by elerner61; 10-16-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      10-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Pretty sure I did mine with a shampoo pump without removing the air box.
      10-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep

Didn't think you could get to the cap on the reservoir with the airbox installed (always thought that was stupid)

Last edited by elerner61; 10-17-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

There's room to get it off and on, but it's tough to get a grip on it to loosen it.
I remember my fingers hurt like heck afterwards.
      03-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
BBZ4MC
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
...Going to be taking my first Blackstone samples for oil/tran/diff and install all 3 Dimple Magnetic plugs: just because.
Just wondering what were the exact sizes of the three plugs you used from Dimple? I want to get the same, but trying to figure the correct sizes is a bit confusing. I have an 07 Z4MC.

Thanks, and by the way this thread helped me flush my power steering fluid just the other week.
Appreciate 0