ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #133
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
For the N52 equipped Z4's I really don't think there's a cheaper option than something like the Sprint Booster or BMS Powerbox. Both are around $300 and both provide multiple levels of throttle sensitivity including the "always on" folks have been asking for. Alternatively, ECU reflashes that affect throttle sensitivity, among other things, are now becoming more commonly available for the N52.

The one thing these don't affect is the steering response. I suspect someone would have to hack around with our electric steering systems to access this aspect of the sport button as well.
You may be right, but I hope not. I do agree that the real question is if it could be done economically. I would think that someone like Diokaef may be able to build a plug in chip/circuit/? which would automatically activate the sport function when the car was turned on. This would also increase the steering resistance which for me would be an additional positive.
      09-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #134
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

well I remember reading that the software is already there and that the fuse is their just that the wiring is not present, I would think that someone could make a few wire leads and supply the button and then all we would have to do it wire it up in the wire loom block under the hood, doesn’t seem that difficult more or less.

this would be for an 06 and up of course.

anybody up for the challenge!!!!! lol id pay plenty for a true retrofit!

I know anything is technically retrofitable just labor sweat and tears but do you all think it be that hard to retrofit a 06 or newer with the proper wiring?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #135
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I had been talking about trying it on Bimmerforums to see if I could do it... converting the button into a switch using a hard-wired microcontroller to detect the position of the switch and compare it with the mode of the car. I figured early non-sport models would be interested, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. I was going to use the light from the sport mode LED to determine if the car was actually in sport mode, but from what I can tell the reduced steering assist actually sends the signal to the LED. The car must be fooled into thinking it has the sport package to get that change in EPS (reduced steering assist). In other words, the microcontroller (as-suggested) would not be able to detect if the car was in sport mode unless someone changed the vehicle order number.

There are ways to determine if the car is in sport mode, but it's going to require much more digging on my part and may be beyond my experience level right now. I'm still going to try, but there are several obstacles to overcome: where to hardwire the microcontroller, which one to use, how to burn it and program it (I've learned C but I have no interface with my computer to program and burn the chips), and finding an aesthetically-pleasing switch.

That being said, the chip itself should be simple - only a few lines of code. I know it is possible and can be done, and I've succeeded in similar projects before. The limiting factor is going to be my experience level and the fact that I haven't tried to do anything like this in several years.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #136
SilverlakeZ4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
Hey... I was just looking... There are a couple of ways to check to see if you have the cable for the sport button... 1) Check to see if you have the IVM module (see Ron's #42 post). If you do, then open it up and check pin 20 of connector X60191. If it has a Blk/Red/yellow wire on it, then that cable is buried in there some place.... 2)If you don't have the IVM module, open the cover over your DME and check connector X60004 pin 1 for a Blk/Red/Yellow wire (see Ron's #50 post). Again, if that wire is there, the cable is buried in there someplace... Hope this helps... Chuck I
Hi Chuck I,

I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased an 05 3.0i. It's an automatic with an 12/04 build date. Having read through this whole post about adding the sport button, I have a question. If I don't have a VM, and the 1 pin in #6004 is empty, is there no way to retrofit the button without running all the wiring? I've looked under the shift cover, but haven't taken the whole center console apart yet. Didn't want to go through the trouble if knowing that 6004 pin 1 is empty means it's a no go anyway.

Thanks,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #137
Stilweezy
Not new, not old
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Sterling Gray

cool info!!! mine was 02/2003 3.0i premium package 6 speed, i found more than just the white connector, what is the black connector for? I'll be ordering the button soon :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #138
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
^ Thats really cool it works thats easy.

I broke my sport button holder so now mine is in position but i cant press it other wise it will fall down in to the console haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
i did that before. I crazy glued a piece of plastic under it to keep it from falling through
Any ideas on how to fix the sport button holder? Is it sold by itself?

The holder has slide underneath the button. I can push the sport button itself up by squeezing my hand under the ashtray gap, but it keeps falling thru. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #139
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

This?
Sounds like it must have fallen apart.
      10-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #140
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep

Thanks Stickmon. The circular case around the button doesn't hold the main body (the actual button with the light) anymore, so it just slips thru. I guess I have to order the whole thing or visit a junkyard looking for Z4s w/ sport pkgs.

If I order a whole new button, can I simply unplug the old and plug in the new? Will this trip or set off any of the electronic features? I'm a complete newb to this car (just bought it). Any advice helps. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #141
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

You can just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
Pop the old one out first and see if you can fix it with a little glue.
      10-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #142
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
i did that before. I crazy glued a piece of plastic under it to keep it from falling through
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilweezy View Post

cool info!!! mine was 02/2003 3.0i premium package 6 speed, i found more than just the white connector, what is the black connector for? I'll be ordering the button soon :-)
Anyone know how to access the wiring under the stick shift? Do i just twist off the stick shift knob? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #143
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Don't twist, pull.
Be careful you don't punch yourself in the nose, or worse.
      12-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #144
seventy5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

I have a used sports button if anyone wants to buy it for cheap
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #145
Disori
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

I hate to dig up an old thread, but it doesn't seem to be against the rules and I'd love to see if anyone else has done this in the 3 years since the last post.

I have an '03 Z4 and tried this and it seemed to work. However, I didn't get a dash on the light nor the button. The throttle input seemed to be a bit more sensitive, and when holding a constant throttle pressing the button will alter where the rpm sits.

I was wondering if this is all there is to it? I opened up the center console, found the white connector and just plugged it in. Two people said a light on the dash will come on but none did for me. Any input / updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #146
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
EPS and DME updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
So it comes down to this, if you have the wiring, you need to add the button, update your Vehicle Order Number, update the EPS software and the DME software.
Chuck I - thanks for the post, lots of helpful info. I have a 2004 that is pre-wired for the sport switch and I'm considering this mod.

I have the standard BMW tools that I can use to update the VO for the car to add the $224 option. However, can you elaborate when you state that you also updated the EPS and DME software? What tools did you use to update the software? What versions did you need to load onto the EPS and DME? Is this absolutely required or just good practice?

Thanks. Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #147
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Wow this is an ancient thread revived! I tried the "sport" button when I first bought my M three years ago. It made the throttle like an on/off switch. I did a gas pedal reset and have not used it since!!
Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
wdb4673.00
      03-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #148
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Wow this is an ancient thread revived! I tried the "sport" button when I first bought my M three years ago. It made the throttle like an on/off switch. I did a gas pedal reset and have not used it since!!
I think these guys are talking about putting it on the non-M car, and on that car it behaves differently than it does on the M (affecting the electric power steering, for instance).

My experience (and of several reviewers back in the day) mirrors yours exactly. Try it once, leave it off forever on the M cars.
3002 tii2272.00
      03-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #149
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I have it on my 3.0si but to be honest I only use it occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #150
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I think these guys are talking about putting it on the non-M car, and on that car it behaves differently than it does on the M (affecting the electric power steering, for instance).

My experience (and of several reviewers back in the day) mirrors yours exactly. Try it once, leave it off forever on the M cars.
The throttle changes are the same in principal, but since the S54 already has such sharp throttle response, the sport button can make it harder to control. On the M54, I found the sport button throttle map to feel much better than the stock map. Haven't tried an N52 car with the sport button.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #151
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I have it on my 3.0si but to be honest I only use it occasionally.
I would have loved to keep the extra steering weight but lose the twitchy throttle the Sport button gave my 3.0si. I ended up just leaving the button off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #152
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I would have loved to keep the extra steering weight but lose the twitchy throttle the Sport button gave my 3.0si. I ended up just leaving the button off.
Wouldn't be too difficult to adjust the tune to do exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #153
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Yup - that’s precisely my view.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #154
Hullbilly
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has been asked already, I've read the whole thread and cant find a definative answer;

I have an '03 Z4 3.0 auto without the sports button, I haven't gone rummerging around in the centre console looking for the white connector yet. But I did read that when the button is pressed people say that 'SD' appears on the dash, this also happens when you shift the auto gear lever to the left, is this not the same mode or does the sport button add another dimension to the throttle control?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0