ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #89
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRift View Post
I won't argue with you; however there is notable physical movement when at a stand still and changing to sport mode. By standers have commented on the effect unprompted.
Either BMW decided to put the electro magnetic dampers on your Z4 from the factory and used your Z4 as a secret test-mule in preparation for the E89 Z4, and that you have the only E85 Z4 in the world that changes the ride height with a touch of sport button.

Or you're wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #90
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Thanks Ron... good information... It looks like the issue is between the EPS and the sport button for the light... My thought is that the DME is communicating with the EPS because I can feel the steering change. I might be getting to the end on this. I may make some inquires to the local independent BMW shop to see what EPS diagnostics they may have... But, as usual, you came through... Thanks Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #91
bten
LSU Tiger Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRift View Post
I won't argue with you; however there is notable physical movement when at a stand still and changing to sport mode. By standers have commented on the effect unprompted.

It very well may be that there is an issue with my Zed and will ask when I take it in for the next maintenance cycle in late June. That would fit with how my week has been going thus far...

I have found that going from park to reverse or drive, the car sorta hunkers down, this might be what you are noticing, especially when cold, and the idle rpms are a little higher. This is with an automatic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #92
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Either BMW decided to put the electro magnetic dampers on your Z4 from the factory and used your Z4 as a secret test-mule in preparation for the E89 Z4, and that you have the only E85 Z4 in the world that changes the ride height with a touch of sport button.

Or you're wrong.
lol x2
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #93
bmwzrrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0 and 325it

Any new news on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #94
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzrrrr View Post
Any new news on this?
No new update. The status is that when I press the button it goes into SD mode and you can really tell the difference, the gas pedal gets really sensitive and the steering appears to get stiffer BUT the LED on the button doesn't come on. The light for the "Sport" on the button can be varied with the intensity of the instrument cluster, but the LED indicator on the button doesn't come on. Looking at the WDS (wiring diagram), the signal for for LED comes from the Electronic Power Steering. It's looking for a LOW signal (ground) from the EPS and it's not there. I can ground the pin and the LED comes on. My thoughts at this point are: 1)It's going in Sport Mode (because I can feel it, see SD on the instrument cluster and see the tach change) 2)I'm not sure if the DME is talking to the EPS (because the feel of the steering is subjective - I "think" I feel a change, but I can't measure it. Others with the "real" sport button imply the same.) 3)btw I have an old version of Carsoft Software. When I run it I see the EGS (gearbox) change from the "A" Drive Program to the "S" Drive Program when I have the button on. SO, to make a long post short: I press the button, there's a big difference in the way the car responds acceleration wise, there may be a little difference in the way it handles, but no LED..... I hope more to come.... Chuck I

Last edited by Chuck I; 06-05-2009 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #95
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Cool stuff!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #96
AbeFroman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

I have a 2.5i auto (01/03 build) and have the connector. I ordered the Sport Button today. Thanks to Chuck for helping me find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #97
AbeFroman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Update: I got the Sport Button delivered today and plugged it in. It does everything Chuck has described and the light on the button doesn't turn on when it's in Sport Mode. However, it displays SD on the instrument cluster and there is a noticeable change.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #98
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ Thats really cool it works thats easy.

I broke my sport button holder so now mine is in position but i cant press it other wise it will fall down in to the console haha.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #99
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I'm really happy for you early build date guys .
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #100
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
^ Thats really cool it works thats easy.

I broke my sport button holder so now mine is in position but i cant press it other wise it will fall down in to the console haha.
i did that before. I crazy glued a piece of plastic under it to keep it from falling through
      08-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #101
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sport Button Update

I just want to bring everyone up to date on the Sport Button mod. The last status was that I had the Sport Button installed using the existing cable harness. There was a major improvement in the throttle response and a more aggressive shifting pattern. I thought I noticed a small change in the steering presure. The main issue appeared to be that the LED did not come on when the button was pushed. In an effort to figure out the problem I procured CarSoft 6.5, BavarianTechnic Diagnostic Tool and the GT1. It's amazing what you can find out with a little leg work. Running diagnostics with the GT1, I am able to see the DME respond to the Sport Button. It actually shows the button toggle on and off. However, the EPS (electric power steering) says the Sport Button is always OFF. The DMS talks directly to the EPS via the D_CAN bus. At the same time the DMS talks to the transmission via the same D_CAN bus. Using Carsoft, I see the transmission respond the the Sport Button by changing from the A Drive program to the S Drive program. The DME talks the Instrument cluster via the same D_CAN bus and I see SD come up on the cluster. So the issues appears to be the EPS module not responding to the data from the DME. I used the GT1 to update the EPS module to the latest revision BUT... The real issue is the Vehicle Order (VO) number... The GT1 uses this VO# to select the updates. My VO# says I don't have Sport Mode. So this is where I am tonight. The GT1 will allow me to modify my VO# but I first have to decode it.... Once I figure out which numbers are for the Sport Mode, I should be able to change them in the VO# and do a new update that should allow that light to come on... OR I could still be spinning my wheels... btw, none of the Dealers will even talk to me... I'm sure they think I'm nuts... But for me, this is what's fun... I'll keep you posted...

btw if anyone has a list of the 3 digit vehicle order numbers, it sure would be helpful...

Thanks, Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #102
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Thanks for the update! It seems you are on the path to discovery. BTW, Ron Stygar over on Bimmerfest may have the info you need. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #103
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
Thanks for the update! It seems you are on the path to discovery. BTW, Ron Stygar over on Bimmerfest may have the info you need. Best of luck.
No worries, Ron's been monitoring this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #104
jonathan3zimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Silver Z4 2.5 Auto

How do take off this piece? I figured if I just pushed on the sides and pulled up, it would pop out, but this didn't work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #105
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
No worries, Ron's been monitoring this thread.
There are 4 tabs (you can see one of them on the left side). What you have to do is put a thin blade between the plastic cover and the console (I did it on the right sided about where the tab is). Then rotate the blade (like real thin screwdriver(in thinkness, not width)) towards the passenger door. That will compress that cover in and it will pop up. Once one tab is free, the other 3 come right out... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #106
jonathan3zimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Silver Z4 2.5 Auto

thank you thank you thank. that wire is seriously hard to find...especially in the dark and when you can only get a couple fingers in there. now all i have to do is order the button. when you drilled the hole for the button did you take it all apart or did you just hold back the wires and drilled into the console?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #107
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan3zimmer View Post
thank you thank you thank. that wire is seriously hard to find...especially in the dark and when you can only get a couple fingers in there. now all i have to do is order the button. when you drilled the hole for the button did you take it all apart or did you just hold back the wires and drilled into the console?
Well, I did both... The first time it cost me a replacement console top... plus I had metal filings all over the place. DO NOT try to do it without removing the console... It will take you an hour to remove the console... but you should plan on your car being down for a day... if you remove the console, you will be able to see the outline of the hole that has to be drilled out... In order to remove the console, you have to remove the rear storage area cover (the storage area between the seats).. If I can help, let me know... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #108
GLF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4, 3.0si SILVER

I am thinking about relocating my sport button (over to the air bag light position) and in its place install start button. But I would like to have the sport button function reversed so that I need to push to disengage as I always drive with it and the DTC engaged. (now you need to push each time you start engine)
You would think that if I could wire a start button I could figure this out. I am lost May not be possible but I thought I would ask. You see what I drive.
      08-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #109
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLF View Post
I am thinking about relocating my sport button (over to the air bag light position) and in its place install start button. But I would like to have the sport button function reversed so that I need to push to disengage as I always drive with it and the DTC engaged. (now you need to push each time you start engine)
You would think that if I could wire a start button I could figure this out. I am lost May not be possible but I thought I would ask. You see what I drive.
It's simple enough to move the Sport button over (you will have to extend the 5 wires). The hole is exactly the same size. You won't be able to change the function though... It's programmed to come up in the OFF position. And btw, that Sport Button is no "normal" on/off button. It's designed to give a momentary LOW signal to the DME. Another thought would be to put your new Start Button in where the cigarette lighter is... It will fit there too... Another note, the Airbag light needs to be plugged in. The indicator lamp is diagnosed and monitored. If a fault is seen in either the power supply or the lamp, the airbag warning light will come on. Believe me, I made the mistake of turning my car on while the button was removed... If I can help, drop me a pm.. Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #110
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
Running diagnostics with the GT1, I am able to see the DME respond to the Sport Button. It actually shows the button toggle on and off. However, the EPS (electric power steering) says the Sport Button is always OFF.
just wanted to clarify with you. does this mean that the EPS is not adjusting when the button is pressed? I had thought you did a test and the results showed a significant change in steering response
Appreciate 0