ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

06-08 Z4M $ Appreciation....

Many threads on this in previous years....the very low total production and the continued reduction due to accidents, etc....the last true attempt by Bavaria Motor Works to create and produce a purist sports car....

A recent Autodrader search for an 07 Z4MR revealed under 20 in the US. So....the question is, will this beloved vintage reach a collector status, thus increasing its value??
      04-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I think one day, yes....... but it may take a few more years. People have a love affair with old roadsters, just look at the auctions on Velocity channel. In another 10 years when we hit the 20 year mark, I can see some real love starting to happen. Total production run for the "M" version, coupe and roadster, is relatively low by modern standards. They really are one of the last attempts at a true purist sports car, as you say. Enthusiasts already know and love the S54. I think in time we'll get some more love for the Z4 M.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

There are many Z3 M Coupes on EAG for $60,000. One yellow one has 80,000 miles for $59k. And they have the same S54 engine. It's a striking shape however, and maybe that is it. Idk. I don't think the Z3 MRs go for as much. Still, it seems the Z4 has lots of room to appreciate.

It took the e28 M5 25 years to appreciate. You could pick one up for $10k 10 years ago. Now they are $20k.

Every M car eventually will hold its value and then start to appreciate. Just a matter of time. E36s are starting to move recently.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
There are many Z3 M Coupes on EAG for $60,000. One yellow one has 80,000 miles for $59k. And they have the same S54 engine. It's a striking shape however, and maybe that is it. Idk. I don't think the Z3 MRs go for as much. Still, it seems the Z4 has lots of room to appreciate.

It took the e28 M5 25 years to appreciate. You could pick one up for $10k 10 years ago. Now they are $20k.

Every M car eventually will hold its value and then start to appreciate. Just a matter of time. E36s are starting to move recently.
Well said -
My beloved 07 Z4MR built Nov 06; first sold Dec 2007; I purchased as second owner Mar 2010; paid off Dec 2015; decided to keep the Red Roadster and just completed significant upgrades and Insp II and other repairs....LOVE THIS CAR.
      04-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Z will have its time; all of the '2000-era classics' will be sought after based on BMW's current decision making. Frankly, as somebody with no interest in the new cars, I'd prefer if all the classics didn't appreciate at all though. A good E39 M5 is $30-40k now wtf ������ I missed the boat
      04-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don't see it happening, used car prices are absolutely ridiculous right now and grossly inflated thanks to easy money and BS eight year car loans. Think of the mortgage crisis, anybody with a pulse right now can get a loan for $60k over eight years and drive something way past what they can afford. Once this eventual bubble collapses, 2-3 years time most likely, it's going to seriously depress the value of used cars.

What is happening right now in the auto industry is madness and unsustainable. Just one more bubble in an economic system made of nothing but bubbles and gross distortions.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Z3Ms are near the price of Z4Ms (not even speaking of the ridiculous pricing on Z3M Coupes lol). Z3s are garbage compared to the Z4, they aren't 1/5th the car. I mean, I see 98-00 Z3M Roadsters with the crappy S52 in them going for like $15k. You can almost find a nice Z4M Roadster for that price with like mileage, just within a few grand. It's mind boggling.

Last edited by NickyC; 04-30-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
debdoub77.50
      05-01-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I don't see it happening, used car prices are absolutely ridiculous right now and grossly inflated thanks to easy money and BS eight year car loans. Think of the mortgage crisis, anybody with a pulse right now can get a loan for $60k over eight years and drive something way past what they can afford. Once this eventual bubble collapses, 2-3 years time most likely, it's going to seriously depress the value of used cars.

What is happening right now in the auto industry is madness and unsustainable. Just one more bubble in an economic system made of nothing but bubbles and gross distortions.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Z3Ms are near the price of Z4Ms (not even speaking of the ridiculous pricing on Z3M Coupes lol). Z3s are garbage compared to the Z4, they aren't 1/5th the car. I mean, I see 98-00 Z3M Roadsters with the crappy S52 in them going for like $15k. You can almost find a nice Z4M Roadster for that price with like mileage, just within a few grand. It's mind boggling.
Nicky I agree with you on the car bubble that is happening in US right now. But how you can explain that the prices of Z3M's and Z4M's have rise at least 20% to 35%, the last two years in countries like Germany, Italy or elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a Z4MR at CarMax. Won't be long before you never see these there anymore. Decent price too. $26k for 33k miles.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14473280
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Is anybody getting these prices though? I keep seeing Coupe guys with sky high prices, bumping their for sale threads 5-6 months later. There are even some cheap Coupes in the classifieds right now for high teens low 20s that are hanging around.

That price from Car Maxx is not a good deal (do they ever have good deals?). It's on the highside, with a fair purchase price according to NADA of $23,623. If I was in the market for a stock vert with 33k miles, I wouldn't spend anymore than $21-22k.

Realistically, there's also a lot working against these cars. They were never that popular to begin with (don't ask me why), they're expensive to maintain, right or wrong most people are scared to death of a BMW out of warranty (let alone 10+ years old!), and most banks won't loan out on cars over 6-7 years old.

So, to sell these cars at a premium you have to find somebody who really just needs to have one and is a cash buyer. People who have that kind of cash generally want something newer/nicer. It's just not a good recipe.

The good news is however, if you can still get $20k for an 11 year old car or whatever (that was what, like $55k new?) is still pretty damned good. I think these cars have depreciated to a point where they won't go much lower, so you can drive them worry free in regards to mileage/resale value.

Last edited by NickyC; 05-01-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
FD3S69.50
debdoub77.50
      05-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was saying it was a decent price in regards to getting a high price for our cars. So yeah, bad price if you are looking to get a deal. I've tracked CarMax prices and they are pretty firm. After a month or two they may drop a grand but that's it. They analyze the market very thoroughly before setting a price. And they always sell eventually. They are also a bit of a premium because they offer 5 day return policy etc. so buyers know they are getting a good car.

As for cash buyers and financing, your right. It's a little more difficult. But pennfed.com will finance you no problem. There are tons of 10year+ older cars being bought and sold on eBay and Bring a Tailer everyday.

I would buy now if I were in the market. Because prices could quickly ramp up.

Btw, $55k in 2006 is equivalent to $67k in 2016 dollars. According to inflation calculators online.

The Z4 and S54 are a wonderful combination. I just put an Eisenmann exhaust on mine and omg it's intoxicating! 8,000 RPMs is pure sonic bliss.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17443.50
      05-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Hey thanks for the info about pennfed.com, I'll have to check that out. I've drastically revamped the way I look at finances in the past few years, and only want to pay cash for things going forward. If I need a service like this for an older car though it's nice to know it's there, thanks.

As a side note, that inflation calculator makes me sick. With stagnant wages, it sure is nice to see how expensive everything is getting. Fed says inflation is low....LOL.
Appreciate 0