ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed^ View Post
Very nice, as usual!
dazed,

Thanks much--glad you enjoyed it!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Great to see the other side of the country.
Swashplate,

Washington State has some extremely scenic and interesting spots, too, although I've only been out there a few times over the years. I'm glad you liked the report.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Beautifully shown, beautifully told.
Thank you!
Feel like I was riding beside you!
DaveL
Dave,

Thanks! Any sign of Spring yet up in Canada?

I'm heading out for another trip tomorrow, assuming I can get it planned in time. (Retirement sure increases one's flexibility!)

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
Very nice! I noticed the lighthouse and Reedy Point Bridge both appeared on the episode of Top Gear (UK) when they drove through.
Jason,

I've only rarely seen Top Gear--I'll be sure to look for a rerun of this episode. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
Thanks for that, interesting and scenic as always!
teezee,

My pleasure--I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
Sorry for veering this slightly off topic, just been looking at the gallery section. Some of those images are just absolutely crazy, especially the work of John Adams, the motorbike image, wow. Thanks for the link, really appreciated.
3point0,

It's easy to get a bit (or a lot) carried away with HDR photography--the controls are all there. I tend to prefer a "slightly over the top" version, with dramatic colors and strong contrast. Once in a while, to rescue an otherwise-hopeless backlit scene, I'll take the controls well past this point. It's a lot of fun.

Once you get the hang of it and save some of your favorite settings, you can batch process your photos, which speeds things up substantially.

Good luck!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Awesome as ever.... thanks

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Dave,

Thanks! Any sign of Spring yet up in Canada?

I'm heading out for another trip tomorrow, assuming I can get it planned in time. (Retirement sure increases one's flexibility!)

Rick
No, not yet. Radio and tv are hysterical about a pending storm. Here along the 401 it could be rain or snow. Took our 2 Goldens out. Cold rain; perhaps we will be lucky and have it turn to snow!

Traded the cr-v for a used Cadi-wagon with awd Put Michelin x-ice 3's on it. Tank!

It is a delight.

Took the P911 c4s/cab out in the last snow. Got it thoroughly stuck! With 4 Pirelli wannabe snow tires. Ugh. Frankly distressed with the tires we bought. Car is unsafe, and should be so much better. The S5 was much better....edit...I've NEVER stuck a car like that. 35 years as ski instructor, and 50+ years of driving in snow.

It is a light winter. Porsche is parked, and plugged in.

I still haven't been skiing. My wife has a number of times. I'm lucky to be working and enjoying it at 66.

Sure do like your touch. Wonderful photos. Even better tales! We now have the successor to your camera. Like it! (sharpened it up in "My Colors"). Monopod helps tame my shakes. Took a photo of 1/4 of the moon, full moon--at full zoom! Can't imagine being rich enough to buy the lens for my dslr that would allow me to do that! And I would have to hire a helper to carry it!

Best
DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 02-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: sometimers
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #31
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Rick,
Another great thread! I enjoyed this one just as much as your other adventures. Do your write ups ever make it to Roundel?

Your threads have inspired me to go out on some road trips and shoot some pictures. Too often, we drive on thruways and miss out on the beauty found along the back roads. Hopefully, this summer my wife and I will be able to drive around the Fingerlakes region.

Keep up the great work!
      03-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #32
FreeParking
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 z4///m coupe, 99 540i-6 /M

Wow!

Awesome Photography...What are you shooting with...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Awesome as ever.... thanks
bucko,

My pleasure, friend!

I just finished part 2 of a trip through Virginia, following in the footsteps (hoof prints?) of Mosby's Rangers in the Civil War. I'm working on the photos now...

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, not yet. Radio and tv are hysterical about a pending storm. Here along the 401 it could be rain or snow. Took our 2 Goldens out. Cold rain; perhaps we will be lucky and have it turn to snow!

Traded the cr-v for a used Cadi-wagon with awd Put Michelin x-ice 3's on it. Tank!

It is a delight.

Took the P911 c4s/cab out in the last snow. Got it thoroughly stuck! With 4 Pirelli wannabe snow tires. Ugh. Frankly distressed with the tires we bought. Car is unsafe, and should be so much better. The S5 was much better....edit...I've NEVER stuck a car like that. 35 years as ski instructor, and 50+ years of driving in snow.

It is a light winter. Porsche is parked, and plugged in.

I still haven't been skiing. My wife has a number of times. I'm lucky to be working and enjoying it at 66.

Sure do like your touch. Wonderful photos. Even better tales! We now have the successor to your camera. Like it! (sharpened it up in "My Colors"). Monopod helps tame my shakes. Took a photo of 1/4 of the moon, full moon--at full zoom! Can't imagine being rich enough to buy the lens for my dslr that would allow me to do that! And I would have to hire a helper to carry it!

Best
DaveL
Dave,

I continue to stand in awe of you and your wife's ability to try out a variety of cars! I'm surprised that your awd 911 doesn't do better with snow tires. I guess Pirelli biased them more towards dry performance. My old 356 would go anywhere in the snow, even with its normal Michelin X tires.

On the other hand, the heater boxes had rusted away, and the car had zero heat or defrosting in the wintertime (or any other time)!

I'm glad you're getting some good use out of your new camera. The 40x zoom on mine is amazing, and I assume you got the SX50 IS.

Best wishes for an early Spring!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Rick,
Another great thread! I enjoyed this one just as much as your other adventures. Do your write ups ever make it to Roundel?

Your threads have inspired me to go out on some road trips and shoot some pictures. Too often, we drive on thruways and miss out on the beauty found along the back roads. Hopefully, this summer my wife and I will be able to drive around the Fingerlakes region.

Keep up the great work!
Aries326,

Great--glad you enjoyed it. The next one is in the works...

Back in the early 1980s, when I had a 320i, I was very active in the BMWCCA. I even served as chief track instructor for the National Capital chapter for one season. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to join up again! Your note will prompt me to do so. The Roundel is an excellent publication, and I would love to have an article published.

Regarding your plans for a road trip, I'll look forward to the results. The Finger Lakes area is great--particularly Watkins Glen, of course. During the grand prix years, all the drivers used to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, and this motel still has a lot of great photos of those days. For a really unique experience, you could try the Seneca Lodge. It's an old-fashioned "cabin" motel, with all sorts of interesting junk (uh, I mean "artifacts"!) in the main lodge.

Two final tips: Be sure to check out the International Motor Racing Research Center that's based in town. And to tour the State Park, take the inexpensive shuttle from the center of town up to the top, and then walk down through the Glen. It really beats the alternative...

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeParking View Post
Awesome Photography...What are you shooting with...
FP,

Thanks much!

I'm using a Canon SX40 HS "superzoom" camera. It's a great all-around camera. The latest version has a 50x zoom lens, instead of the "merely" 40x lens on mine.

For most shots, I take three exposures, at 0, +2, and -2 stops, and then combine the results using Photomatix Pro. This HDR approach enables you go get good details in both the very dark and very light areas of the photo.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #37
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FP,

Thanks much!

I'm using a Canon SX40 HS "superzoom" camera. It's a great all-around camera. The latest version has a 50x zoom lens, instead of the "merely" 40x lens on mine.

For most shots, I take three exposures, at 0, +2, and -2 stops, and then combine the results using Photomatix Pro. This HDR approach enables you go get good details in both the very dark and very light areas of the photo.

Rick
Dynamic range...beautiful! I particularly like the way you do it. Some others have colours that just aren't realistic

Before I discovered sharpening....uncropped, hand held out of the camera.

One very cold night...

We have the newer one. It is an excellent camera. However our jpegs were improved by "sharpening" in "my colors". They are better right out of the camera now.

DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dynamic range...beautiful! I particularly like the way you do it. Some others have colours that just aren't realistic

Before I discovered sharpening....uncropped, hand held out of the camera.

One very cold night...

We have the newer one. It is an excellent camera. However our jpegs were improved by "sharpening" in "my colors". They are better right out of the camera now.

DaveL
Dave,

Wow! And double-wow, since you hand-held the camera.

I doff my cap!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

My pleasure to share. Thanks for the compliment!

I cheat sometimes and use my old Linhof monopod. With a Leica ball head. It was too cold that night to take time getting ready.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dave,

I continue to stand in awe of you and your wife's ability to try out a variety of cars! I'm surprised that your awd 911 doesn't do better with snow tires. I guess Pirelli biased them more towards dry performance. My old 356 would go anywhere in the snow, even with its normal Michelin X tires.

On the other hand, the heater boxes had rusted away, and the car had zero heat or defrosting in the wintertime (or any other time)!

I'm glad you're getting some good use out of your new camera. The 40x zoom on mine is amazing, and I assume you got the SX50 IS.

Best wishes for an early Spring!

Rick
Thanks Rick!
There is something wrong with the tires. Petrified rubber? No idea...

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #41
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Aries326,

Great--glad you enjoyed it. The next one is in the works...

Back in the early 1980s, when I had a 320i, I was very active in the BMWCCA. I even served as chief track instructor for the National Capital chapter for one season. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to join up again! Your note will prompt me to do so. The Roundel is an excellent publication, and I would love to have an article published.

Regarding your plans for a road trip, I'll look forward to the results. The Finger Lakes area is great--particularly Watkins Glen, of course. During the grand prix years, all the drivers used to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, and this motel still has a lot of great photos of those days. For a really unique experience, you could try the Seneca Lodge. It's an old-fashioned "cabin" motel, with all sorts of interesting junk (uh, I mean "artifacts"!) in the main lodge.

Two final tips: Be sure to check out the International Motor Racing Research Center that's based in town. And to tour the State Park, take the inexpensive shuttle from the center of town up to the top, and then walk down through the Glen. It really beats the alternative...

Rick
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out the Watkins Glen area and the State Park. I haven't been there since I was a kid. If I get a chance to take some nice pictures, I'll make sure to share them.
      03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

It was thrilling to drive the original Route, through the town and around. Rainy spring day ... you could feel the history, though we were in our S5. Later my wife drove Watkins Glen behind the pace vehicle, in heavy rain! It was incredible! So much fun!

great area! (our bathtub in the motel showed signs of being a parts washer! Though very clean otherwise...

Appreciate 0