ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #111
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventy5
So i did the swap today and after the install all the warning codes were showing on the dash. Is this normal? P.S I haven't got a ECU flash yet. Thanks!
No you should not have any codes. After install car drove just fine.

Their may be a miss somewhere, vacuum leak or something.

Might want to get that looked at.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #112
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschRennfahrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Oh no! I didn't realize the pics disappeared !!!

I'll work on re-editing the post this weekend if I get some time.

Thanks for letting me know the pics died.
Hey -C-, any chance you could throw those pics up again? It would be super helpful.
Hey I'm so sorry, with the new baby I'm having a heck of a time finding time. But will give it a try this weekend I promise.

They shouldn't have disappeared but I'll give it a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #113
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I was able to compare the original 3-stage conversion tune with Active Auto's current tune. I prefer the current tune. After the ECU rewrite, I had 3 DTC codes (P2A87, P2E83, P2AD0) . I'm not sure what they mean, but after clearing them they did not return.

BTW,

Last edited by Forbes; 09-14-2015 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #114
mad_presley
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Is this the correct intake manifold for this conversion http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2818027739...84.m1555.l2649
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #115
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_presley
Is this the correct intake manifold for this conversion http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2818027739...84.m1555.l2649
Looks to be the one but I'd cross reference the part number with REAL OEM.com just to be sure. I think their was small differences between some models.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #116
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

Quote:
Hey I'm so sorry, with the new baby I'm having a heck of a time finding time. But will give it a try this weekend I promise.

Hey -C-, your new baby should be practically grown up and out of the house by now, so maybe you will have some time to update those photos?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #117
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey -C-, your new baby should be practically grown up and out of the house by now, so maybe you will have some time to update those photos?
Har har!

Well I found that the photos are still on photobucket I just need to redo some of the post to get them working again.

Most of my time is posting from the phone while I'm out, and not on the computer to be able to fix this.

My priorities have changed a bit and I will try and get them back up. But I can only get to it when I get to it. Sorry I can't be more help.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:30 AM   #118
Samaran
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMV 320

I also just called AA and set up my info and am going to pute down a deposit to secure and have an SI Z4 dyno'd and its mapping gone over to use as a base, then when i get their my car will be tuned to upgrade over the origanal so in theory may get better numbers, im planning a cruise with my wife in feburary so either i will be in miami Fl. in feburary or the begining of spring to have the work done, I know its a bit of a wait but it will be worth it to find out what we can squeez out of the 3.0I.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #119
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Found someone local who has a 3 stage intake manifold with less than 10k miles on it. He wants $700 for it. Is this a good deal? Seems a bit high.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #120
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Found someone local who has a 3 stage intake manifold with less than 10k miles on it. He wants $700 for it. Is this a good deal? Seems a bit high.
Extremely high! Probably why he still has it.
I got mine of car-part.com for around 200 or so.

I've seen them go as low as 150 on eBay.

Just checked car-part.com and they have a whole slew of them for around 250. You'll have to call the others as they don't show price and may be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #121
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Good to know. I'm calling a few of them on car-part.com now. Were the two adjuster units on yours in good condition? Those can be expensive to replace.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #122
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. I'm calling a few of them on car-part.com now. Were the two adjuster units on yours in good condition? Those can be expensive to replace.
Yea it was complete and in perfect working order
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #123
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Just ordered one for $225 that came with a one year warranty! Also have an AA certified shop in my area that will do the tune. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #124
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered one for $225 that came with a one year warranty! Also have an AA certified shop in my area that will do the tune. Can't wait!
Glad you weren't taken for a ride ! Told ya 700 was way to high.

Some people just figure they have gold! But the prices have gone up since this has become a thing recently.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #125
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Manifold just came in today and it looks good. Pulled out both DISA valves and they look clean. Flaps won't budge (that's good, right?) I did notice that there is some oil on the inside of the manifold--is this normal?

Also, what's the best process for swapping in the new gaskets? The ones in there now look fine and fit very snug, so it seems like swapping them could be difficult. Any tips?

Finally, where do I find the cables that are supposed to plug into the two DISA valves?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #126
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Manifold just came in today and it looks good. Pulled out both DISA valves and they look clean. Flaps won't budge (that's good, right?) I did notice that there is some oil on the inside of the manifold--is this normal?

Also, what's the best process for swapping in the new gaskets? The ones in there now look fine and fit very snug, so it seems like swapping them could be difficult. Any tips?

Finally, where do I find the cables that are supposed to plug into the two DISA valves?

Thanks!
Oil is normal, the cables should be located on the outer right side of the manifold. Easy to spot. The plugs just plug into a female plug holder
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #127
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Just to be sure, I can still drive the car with the new manifold before I do the tune, right? Will the DISA valves know what to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #128
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to be sure, I can still drive the car with the new manifold before I do the tune, right? Will the DISA valves know what to do?
Yep and it drives fine. Had mine on for over a year while developing a tune before the tune ever went on the car. You should notice a slight boost.

We were able to transfer the SI factory tuning onto the I ECU and the engine worked great, but the problem was the automatic trans. If the car where a manual it would have worked great. Ended up giving the car to my mom when I bought the 135is before I ever finished the tune as it hit a dead end trans wise. But other tuners have since broke that barrier since this had become a popular modification.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #129
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes the car will run fine, just not optimized.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #130
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Yep and it drives fine. Had mine on for over a year while developing a tune before the tune ever went on the car. You should notice a slight boost.

We were able to transfer the SI factory tuning onto the I ECU and the engine worked great, but the problem was the automatic trans. If the car where a manual it would have worked great. Ended up giving the car to my mom when I bought the 135is before I ever finished the tune as it hit a dead end trans wise. But other tuners have since broke that barrier since this had become a popular modification.
I managed to splice all of the SI code into my DME and the car runs great, no issues with the Auto trans. I could not get winfkp to flash the file but BDM worked fine. The process works for 325s as well

I am now working on a custom tune from the SI file. I have a lot more to learn so Its slow going. It's not like anyone has posted a how to tune your msv70 on the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #131
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I am planning on doing the install this weekend, and I will try to capture the process in a video. I'll be using C's writeup and the help of a friend, so hopefully it will be a smooth install. If there's anything I should watch out for that one could overlook, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #132
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am planning on doing the install this weekend, and I will try to capture the process in a video. I'll be using C's writeup and the help of a friend, so hopefully it will be a smooth install. If there's anything I should watch out for that one could overlook, let me know.
Just be carful with those vent tubes! Their brittle as hell and snap easily !
Appreciate 0