ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

A simple but heartfelt "thank you" for all the effort you put into these tour postings. Once I start reading, there is no stopping. Invariably, your posts lead to a similar amount of time spent on Google, learning a bit more about some intriguing fact. Always a pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EenyBear View Post
A simple but heartfelt "thank you" for all the effort you put into these tour postings. Once I start reading, there is no stopping. Invariably, your posts lead to a similar amount of time spent on Google, learning a bit more about some intriguing fact. Always a pleasure!
EB,

You're very welcome! It's a lot of fun to research the places I've visited, especially when I come across something unknown and interesting (e.g., Private James Rouzee). And I'm glad that you, too, are compelled to investigate things further. It can be a bit addictive—but I suspect you've already discovered that!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4 3.0i roadster

Garage List
Exceptional travel/historical log and the pics are spectacular,
Thank you

The cannons with the red sunset lighting the woods on fire in the background shot is awesome!

Last edited by NHZED4; 12-18-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Soon Christmas will be here. A neighbour friend has just ordered a 335 cab, and snow tires.

Our 911 is sleeping. Snow tires on.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Wow.....thanks again for another fantastic photo-journey. They are truly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHZED4 View Post
Exceptional travel/historical log and the pics are spectacular,
Thank you

The cannons with the red sunset lighting the woods on fire in the background shot is awesome!
NHZED4,

Thanks much! The sunset cannon shot came out a lot better than I expected at the time--just one of those serendipity moments. But it's also an example of the effect of late-afternoon sunlight.

A friend of mine who is a successful American artist once explained why we find such light so pleasant. It was very technical and involved the biology of the brain at least as much as the physics of light, and I don't remember the details anymore. But it works!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #29
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Soon Christmas will be here. A neighbour friend has just ordered a 335 cab, and snow tires.

Our 911 is sleeping. Snow tires on.
Dave,

Down here in Maryland, which is below the Mason-Dixon Line and therefore part of "The South," it's already snowed three times! Only two of them required shoveling, however.

We'll see what's in store during January and February…

Rick

PS: Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
Wow.....thanks again for another fantastic photo-journey. They are truly appreciated!
KLH,

It was great fun to take the trip, do the research, and write it up--and I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it.

Now if I can just find the time for Part II of my recent trip to Washington, DC and parts of southern Maryland… I ran out of daylight before finding everything, thus the need for Part II.

Stay tuned!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
bobeyoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4,'07 FJ,'10 Lexus

"I made a brief detour to Paw Paw, WV to see if I could locate the Carothers railroad tunnel. Having failed miserably to find the oldest such operational tunnel in the U.S. a couple of trips ago in Phoenixville, PA, I was now determined to find any old tunnel, and this one from 1914 would have to do."

Rick, I have a mission! I'm going to find that tunnel in Phoenixville,hopefully next week. You weren't that far from it when you at Lock 60. I'm pretty sure I know right where it is.Getting to it is the problem!

Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #32
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeyoung View Post
"I made a brief detour to Paw Paw, WV to see if I could locate the Carothers railroad tunnel. Having failed miserably to find the oldest such operational tunnel in the U.S. a couple of trips ago in Phoenixville, PA, I was now determined to find any old tunnel, and this one from 1914 would have to do."

Rick, I have a mission! I'm going to find that tunnel in Phoenixville,hopefully next week. You weren't that far from it when you at Lock 60. I'm pretty sure I know right where it is.Getting to it is the problem!

Bob
Bob,

Good luck on your adventure—especially given that everything will have a foot of snow covering it!

It looks like both ends of the tunnel are accessible, with a bit of discreet fence-hopping and hiking required. The northern end can be reached by hiking along the tracks starting from the end of Dreibelbis Road. The southern end requires less of a walk, starting off of Freemont Street (just past Fillmore Street). The gates are similar and look like they could be climbed easily enough.

The real problem is parking someplace other than right next to the gates…

If you reach either entrance, be sure to get a photo and let me know!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #33
Katie_K
Imola Red Beastie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Wow thank you for taking the time to write all that up!

I just read it all from start to finish and as a Brit who knows not a great deal about American history it was fascinating, photos were also amazing and beautiful.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #34
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_K View Post
Wow thank you for taking the time to write all that up!

I just read it all from start to finish and as a Brit who knows not a great deal about American history it was fascinating, photos were also amazing and beautiful.

Katie,

Thanks—I'm chuffed that you enjoyed the trip report!

Of course, it's easy to learn American history compared to British history. Every time I think I've figured out James I, versus Elizabeth I, versus Mary Queen of Scots, versus Robert Devereux, versus hundreds of others, then someone writes a book like Wolf Hall and I realize that Thomas Cromwell wasn't the same person as Oliver Cromwell, and I give up in despair!

However, regardless of my command of American or British history, there's nothing better than exploring around and finding interesting old buildings, scenic vistas, and historic settings!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #35
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Rick,

As many others have said Awesome Write Up... And Beautiful Pictures. I haven't been here in awhile and certainly miss your posts.

Since I am getting forgetful, I'm trying to remember if you upgraded your Z4 a while back or is that recent?

Hope your enjoying your free time, hope your working on the book version of your trips!

Regards,

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #36
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Rick,

As many others have said Awesome Write Up... And Beautiful Pictures. I haven't been here in awhile and certainly miss your posts.

Since I am getting forgetful, I'm trying to remember if you upgraded your Z4 a while back or is that recent?

Hope your enjoying your free time, hope your working on the book version of your trips!

Regards,

Dave
Dave,

Good to hear from you again! I'll have another report up in the next couple of days, with any luck. I'm glad you enjoyed the Poorhouse write-up.

I've had my 2006 Z4 3.0i since June 2009, and I've put about 32,000 miles on it since then. It was a CPO car with 25,000 miles when I bought it. I've enjoyed it as is, without making any significant changes. A set of third-generation Bridgestone run-flats have been my biggest maintenance item to date. They almost entirely eliminated the severe "tramlining" that I had with the earlier series Bridgestones. The convertible top motor and hydraulics were replaced under warranty after I'd had the car for about a year.

The car has sufficient power for my needs, and it's nice to routinely get over 30 mpg at 75 mph. With the sport suspension, the handling is great (although the ride is pretty rough on the so-so quality roads in this area). It's a blast to drive quickly when suitable roads present themselves, but it also trundles around helping me find photo op's without complaint.

All in all, it's been a terrific sports car, and it never fails to get admiring looks and comments from guys and gals alike. Now, if it just had a little more leg room…

Rick
Appreciate 0