ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Drkreign
Rep
Drives: Stock except for the CDV delet

Gearing up for my first drift event, need some pointers.

This post is mostly cause I'm ecstatic that I am finally going to do this, but also to get some feelings from people who may have done this before.

Bit of a story- I've owned this car for almost a year now and drive it daily. I have to say as it goes for a daily it is ok, I average about 30 MPG's (my commute is 63 miles one way doing 60-70mph), ride is ok but towards the end of my commute I can tell I want out! But on these beautiful 70+ degree days the car is a blast to drive with the top down just enjoying life. However.........I find myself occasionaly on the back roads of Spotsylvania Va, and this is where I REALLY enjoy this car!

I mean I've owned a 06 GTI with upgraded suspension, a 04 GTI with suspension, a 90 Corrado VRT swap with everything and more done to it and this 03 Z4 is one of the best handling cars on completely stock (sport) suspension! The Corrado comes close, just because it is a very raw feeling car in terms of handling, it is a car that lets you know everything that is going on with the wheels BUT if you go to far with it, then you're toast due to it not having any ABS, anti skid etc. But the BMW only takes a little feeling away but gives you SO much confidence driving it, I feel like I could give Mario Andretti a run for his money

So with all that said, I've owned it for a little while but have never really pushed the car other then once in a blue moon back road fun. Even then, I never let loose with it, not worth risking my life or another drivers for a few minutes of fun. But even with those little bursts I've always wanted to try drifting it. Never owned a RWD and I want to know how the car feels when it breaks loose and try to handle it.

My question-I found a track that is near me and doing a entry level setup for newbies *waves* April 14th. I plan on attending this event to finally get out some pint up road frustration, and to also learn this car better. In case you skipped my story, I have never drifted the car, not even in a parking lot due to cops here are *insert choice word here* and will give tickets if caught. What I want to know is how good is this car going to be at drifting? Any pointers?

*car's specs* 03 BMW Z4 3.0i 6 speed manual w/ sport package, CDV delete is only mod done to car.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Drifting with a car that has an open differential?

Let me know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Drkreign
Rep
Drives: Stock except for the CDV delet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Drifting with a car that has an open differential?

Let me know how that goes.
Thanks for the information

I realize the car is NOT going to be out there doing stuff a drift geared 350Z does or anything like that, however I am curious for a fun, one time, weekend adventure, what should I expect from the car, from people that have used this car as I plan to.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I think that was the point, that no one drifts these cars because an open differential pretty much prevents a proper drift by sending all available power to the one wheel that's spinning freely. Now, if a one wheel burn-out scores style points in Drift, maybe there's some potential there.

Probably as much fun as drifting a FWD car, if you ask me.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I would start with autocross. If uve never driven your car with the traction control off, u will be in for a surprise
      03-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Good to hear someone's going to give this a go. You've got a real wheel drive car & should be able to get small drifts going.

If they are offering entry level or qualification runs then you'll get a ton of seat time with instructors. Use them. Course setup could be anything from open track to skidpad. Doesn't matter, what does matter is your in a safe open environment with just you on course.

Talk to them beforehand on any basic advice such as tyre pressures & sway bar connected / disconnected.

Let us know how you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Drifting is silly, a little stupid, and suuuuuper fun! Autocross, track time, rally's, love em, but drifting is a whole other category of fun. That said, the guys are right that it will be a little frustrating with an open diff. I've never tried with a n open diff car but I imagine it will be harder to initiate and I dont even know if it's possible to maintain a drift with only one wheel going. Sure you can slide the backed out but I'm not sure you can actually control or maintain any drifting. Not trying to kill the enthusiasm here, just want you to know what you're getting into.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkreign View Post
Thanks for the information

I realize the car is NOT going to be out there doing stuff a drift geared 350Z does or anything like that
Note that just about all but base model 350z have some form of limited slip diff, albeit a goo filled viscous one.

I mean I think it would be cool to try, I just don't know how much fun it would be in a one wheeled wonder.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

maybe it will rain....
      03-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

1 WHEEL WONDER!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Thumbs up

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
IronZ4M
First Class M
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe, E36 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
that car has 3.91 diff, which help alot for drifting. And a better suspension will drive you to perfect drift you could do.

'07 Z4MC l Alpine White l Supersprint Race Exhaust l Supersprint X Pipe l OEM Carbon fiber Spoiler l H&R Springs l Vossen VF051 l G-Power SK I 415 rwhp l RPI Scoop l ///M Performance Knop.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Fucjijsng awesome clip
      05-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Dr Jekyll
Hardparker
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

Like others have said, drifting with an open diff will be tough. Also, I wouldn't attempt to drift at a track if it's your first time attempting to drift. You should first practice doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot. You'll need extra tires because you will go through tires very quickly. You can easily ruin a pair of tires in one day. People here and other BMW forums may flame you for attempting to drift, but it taught me car control, and it's helped me a lot in HPDE. But I would first let a limited slip differential before trying to drift.
Appreciate 0