ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Auto dimming rear and sides not working

Having trouble making sense of all these issue found online. I get no dimming at night. I also don't see any visible leakage or bubble.

My z4 coupe has auto dimming, but I noticed neither my side views nor the rear view dim. Would all three dim as part of the package (3.0 si)?

If the rear view stopped working, would the sides still work? Heck, I don't even know if my side mirrors are supposed to dim (can't find any literature that says if my model does, or doesn't ).

As for the rear view, it is connected, and is getting 12v power (fuse is Ok). The alarm clown nose blinks as well, thus it is getting powered.
      06-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Welp... found the problem.

Disassembled the entire unit, started probing the PCB, noticed it wasn't outputting any voltage to the mirror unit.

I was able to apply 1.3V myself and saw the reverse mirror DIM. That works

Went to the PCB, checked some voltages, by chance, noticed if I push on the voltage regulator, the pcb would output 1.3V (or whatever based on the photosensor light condition).

Odd. Got a good magnifying glass onto the solder joints of the l7808abv and I found the solder joints were broken ever so slightly!

I reflowed the solder on all three pins of the regulator, and we're back in business.
      06-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Great detective work!
Appreciate 0