ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

RaceBrake.. any try these yet?

They use the stock rotor on the Z4 M and the price is good

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Z4M-M3-E4...-p/2102-pu.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I had them on my MZ4 Coupe...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828344

The caliper rubbed the OEM 18" wheels, which is what I use for track days. Will require a 12mm spacer to clear.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 06-06-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I had them on my MZ4 Coupe...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828344

The caliper rubbed the OEM 18" wheels, which is what I use for track days. Will require a 12mm spacer to clear.
So are you still using the RB rotors and how are those holding up? From your past comments, they seem very durable (2x-3x the OEM rotor life).
      06-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
So are you still using the RB rotors and how are those holding up? From your past comments, they seem very durable (2x-3x the OEM rotor life).
They work well for my purposes (5-6 days per year now. Used to be 10-15 days per year before my daughter was born). Seems to work great with Hawk DTC pads. Zero fade. I swapped the front rotor rings out only because the plain slots won't match the open slots on the new rear rotors, otherwise they should be good for at least another season or two. That would be nearly 8 years of regular track work out of them.

It's like never having to buy new rotors again. It's weird. If I didn't track the car I think the rotors would have lasted at least 10 years/100,000 miles.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

you have spacers on your wheels now ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
The HACK
Rep

No. But I may when the new batch of calipers are powder coated from RB.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
No. But I may when the new batch of calipers are powder coated from RB.
Wouldn't that modify your scrub radius? isn't this the main reason why you are tracking with OEM wheels?

I am thinking of putting the stock wheels again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
Wouldn't that modify your scrub radius? isn't this the main reason why you are tracking with OEM wheels?

I am thinking of putting the stock wheels again.
Yes. But think of every modification as a series of compromises. I've already altered my scrub radius by using camber shims. a 5mm push out may actually bring the scrub radius back to OE specs.

Plus the gains in the ability to precisely modulate the brakes in each and every brake zone means what I give up in turn-in response will be more than offset.

While it's not the ideal solution, I think ultimately the gain will out weigh the negative.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Yes. But think of every modification as a series of compromises. I've already altered my scrub radius by using camber shims. a 5mm push out may actually bring the scrub radius back to OE specs.

Plus the gains in the ability to precisely modulate the brakes in each and every brake zone means what I give up in turn-in response will be more than offset.

While it's not the ideal solution, I think ultimately the gain will out weigh the negative.
I am failing to understand how the camber shims is inducing more negative scrub radius, doesn't do the opposite ?

what i mean is that the spacers and the camber shim do the same effect not the opposite to cancel out each other.

Can you please explain a bit ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
I am failing to understand how the camber shims is inducing more negative scrub radius, doesn't do the opposite ?

what i mean is that the spacers and the camber shim do the same effect not the opposite to cancel out each other.

Can you please explain a bit ?
You're right, the camber shims do increase scrub radius. The two will NOT cancel each other out. (apologies to whomever I stole the diagram from)

Diagram attached shows how camber shims (middle picture) and spacers combined will increase positive scrub radius. So adding spacers may exacerbate problems, assuming our cars come from factory with positive scrub radius. Now that I have camber plates in I may choose to remove the shims and use the camber plates specifically to adjust camber, if I need to run spacers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0