ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

BMW MZ4 custom Flowmaster exhaust, w/Flowmaster stainless steel muffler + resonators

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
Flowmaster BMW Z4 M custom exhaust, with Flowmaster stainless steel Series 50 muffler and resonators

This exhaust produced a measured 7.5% to 8.3% MAF flow increase over stock, on a 2006 S54 MZ4.
Based on the increased MAF flow, you will gain 12+ pounds of torque and corresponding horsepower.

Nearly still new, used for only a few months, and a few thousand miles, before the car got damaged and was parted out.

Its the kind of exhaust that only an enthusiast who wants to tweak and tune their own exhaust for both sound and power would invest too much time and money to figure out.

Starting from the downpipe flanges, this exhaust begins with a 2.5" Magnaflow X Pipe, feeding a Flowmaster Series 50 muffler that has 2x 2.5" inlets and outlets, then twin 2.5" pipes each feeding a separate Flowmaster 2.5" resonator, with each resonator feeding a dual outlet angled Flowmaster tip completing an awesome sounding and looking quad outlet exhaust.

Mounts to the stock exhaust mounts, in the stock mounting positions, using artistically bent and welded 3/8 or thicker solid steel rod. No unwanted wiggles, rattles, or vibration transmitted into the cabin.

This audio and video gives a look and listen to it on the car:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2L...ew?usp=sharing

Spent about $2250k getting this made, adjusted, and just the right X Pipe and resonator placement sorted out to tweak the sound and MAF flow numbers, and eye pleasing, aggressive quad tip positioning.

Custom made by Dan at Burlingame Muffler. He's as top end a custom exhaust fabricator as it gets. See his website for the big money high performance cars and antique restorations people bring to him.
http://burlingamemufflers.com/gallery_i

Sounds kinda like a juiced Farrari, but better. Not an obnoxious migraine inducing screamer. Reasonably calm sound when taking it easy. Definitely an attention getter when you get on the gas, a bit of a brap brap when you start the engine, with a subdued "oh yeah?" kinda mild deep burble at idle.

How much better does it flow?
With the stock exhaust, the car breathed in ~240g/sec MAF flow at ~7500rpm WOT on the best pass I could measure.
With this exhaust, MAF flow increase to 256+ g/sec or higher. The best pass was 260. So a MAF flow increase of 16/240, = 7.5%, 20/240 = 8.3%, throughput. Using half the percentage of intake air flow as the factor for determining the power increase, this exhaust is good for 12+ lbs of torque and corresponding horsepower.

Have you noticed that these big bucks aftermarket exhausts don't give HP or torque or flow increase numbers? They do get loud, some obnoxiously rather than a pleasing sound. But no real intake airflow numbers.

The price is $750 firm, 1/3 of what it cost to make, less than any Rogue or other name brand sounding hypo aftermarket cat-back only exhaust costs. Located in SF Bay Area. Could ship in two or three sections that you would weld or clamp back together, but best if you pick it up in a van or full size wagon.

See pictures at:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/5678030607.html

Pls reply privately, (323) 487-2002, (650) 968-1228, voice calls only, or email jkkerouac@gmail.com

Last edited by mpathic; 08-01-2016 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump!
Great bargain for anyone looking for a seriously solidly well built hypo exhaust for street or track without sounding like you took off your mufflers.
Or trade me a set of stock size lightweight wheels, like SSR's.
      07-14-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BUMP, price drop to $750. I get it that I'll never get close to what I spend to have this built. $750 is the best deal going on any hypo MZ4 exhaust, and this is complete from the downpipes, not just a resonator back.

Last edited by mpathic; 07-20-2016 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Curious, but need to know more.

Will this throw codes - do you need a tune to bypass the error code? Will this pass CA smog? Why are you selling?

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No codes. Its just an exhaust system. I can show you a data log recorded with my Innovate OT2 of the MAF flow and fuel correction values. All in range and no MIL set. Selling because I don't have the Roadster I had the exhaust on anymore, and keeping my Coupe stock sounding. Pls listen to the video and see pics at the links listed above.
      07-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
gaspiston
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Interested I am local in San Jose. I will send you a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pls email at Barry@BarryBeams.com I'm in Mountain View, should be easy to connect on this.
      07-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
fishboy
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Curious, but need to know more.

Will this throw codes - do you need a tune to bypass the error code? Will this pass CA smog? Why are you selling?
exhaust itself won't fail smog. headers, cat relocation, intake can so you see CARB numbers on some of them to be cali legal. exhaust itself it no biggie. you can delete your muffler if it will make you happy. cops won't like it too much though and they may use it as a reason to pull you over, but most don't. btw my mufflers are out and it is pissing me off (bought it that way) and i am going to have my exhaust guy slap a muffler on.

good luck with the sale, the exhaust looks great and professional.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thx. CA wants to see the OE or CA approved cats and downpipes to clear the visual inspection. After the flange you can install any piping and mufflers you want. To pass visual you need to be legit, or find a smog station that's either $ympathetic or carele$$.
I agree, cars without mufflers sound obnoxious. A flow mismatch for sure unless the cats are removed too, then its Illegal with a capital I.

Since we're talking exhausts, here's my little secrets:

For a nice open flowing muffler, try the rear muffler cans from an E39 540i V8. Cut off the resonator can. removing the can adds just a touch of happy burble, otherwise no difference. This muffler can is ~ half the weight of the E85/6 muffler.
An E39 540 V8 muffler has a 3" inlet and outlet and is good for 275+hp that the E39 makes. So np pushing only 1.6 liters and 175hp through it. These cost $50 to $100 used locally. A pair of them will sound lower pitch and a bit guttural, similar to an E39V8's stock snarl. Its a great upgrade to any stock BMW 6 cyl that wants more flow without adding a lot more noise. I installed one of these in place of the 2.5 on the E39 wagon and deleted the big Y shaped resonator all the E46 and E39 had, great results, better throttle response and power across the rev range and 1-2 mpg on the highway.
On my Coupe I'm leaving the stock muffler on one side, and adding one E39 V8 muffler to the other side, with the same ACS tips onto both so it will look the same on both sides on the outside. This opens up the exhaust by the "right" amount, taking away the stock constriction, but not so open that you lose midrange and torque just to gain only 1 or 2 more hp at very top end.
One nice tweak that most people don't think to do first before an expensive muffler job is to just replacing the rear resonator + X pipe section with 2.5" pipe and a larger than stock 2.5" X pipe. This is the section after the section 2 flange, before the muffler flange. That factory stock X pipe + resonator section sucks, flows like slow poop compared to the rest of the exhaust.
Just opening up the flow through that constriction will give a noticeable flow and throttle response increase, and add a few lower notes and slight grunt to the exhaust sound than stock when you step on it, otherwise no sound chance at idle and normal cruising.