ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Anyone driven an Audi TT-RS?

These are about as rare as the M coupe and have 360bhp and a 6-speed manual. 0-60 times range from 4.3-4.5 seconds with the manual. While we don't get the dual clutch systems in the US, they do 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Somehow, my local dealer has 2 of them that are CPO's, one with 4k miles and one with 11k. I may go drive one this weekend. I'm curious if anyone else has either owned one or done any comparison testing with their M car.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Haven't driven one, but styling and tuning potential make it a win IMO. But lack of driver feedback and typical Audi-vagueness make it a loss in the end.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I recently drove a stage 2+ car (GIAC flash, AWE exhaust, hiflow cats- I think) and HRE wheels. The car is very fast and super effective at putting all that power down. And since I own a MK2 3.2 TT Coupe, I can attest that the interior is super comfy and sporty and very practical for a sports coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

If you like the engine they might put it in the golf RS but not sure when it will come to US. No input as I only had a 1.8t Audi TT. Is it still haldex in the RS?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I don't like that they are front wheel drive bias. Feel like driving a front wheel drive car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb
I don't like that they are front wheel drive bias. Feel like driving a front wheel drive car.
The first generation TT (MK1) had a Gen I Haldex AWD system that had some lag transferring power to the back. That was remedied with a performance controller from Haldex.

The second generation TT (MK2) uses a Gen 4 Haldex system in the 2.0T and TTRS and a Gen 2 system in the 3.2 engined cars. Both of these are superior to the first generation right out of the box and all 4 wheels always 'feel engaged' all of the time.

In addition, all MK2 TTs use a chassis that is 68% aluminum and most body panels are aluminum as well. Steel is used for the rear hatch and rear floorpan areas to help balance out the front weight bias.

The end result is a much lighter car (my 3.2 TT Coupe 6MT weighed 3180lbs with almost a full tank of gas) that handles a lot better then MK1s and feel lively. If you get the magnetic ride suspension, the sport mode all but removes the need for an aftermarket suspension. Dial up front camber and get a good alignment, and these cars can be setup to have a lot of fun on the track.

They will never feel like a Z4MC but were not meant to either. They serve a wider purpose- all year round fun in addition to track days. The Z4MC feels like it was built for track days and can be used for daily driving in 3 seasons.

I was sure my next car would be a used e92 M3 down the line. After driving a Stage 2 TTRS, I am not so sure anymore. Car availbility and my circumstances will decide now as I consider both to be at the top of my list.

For now I hold on to my Z4MC as hard as I can
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Well, I drove the car today. It had only 4k miles and was a 2013 model with both of the big option packages that included a "sport" exhaust, Nav and upgraded stereo. For a lot of reasons, this is an impressive car. It is VERY fast and the engine sounds great. Don't let the fact it is a 2.5 liter 5-cylinder engine fool you--it is quick and I love the sound from the exhaust. The 6-speed gearbox is precise and smooth with no griding in any gears either up or down. The electric steering system feel is pretty good but gets very light when moving at slow speeds. Handling with the AWD system is great--you can take corners at high speeds with little worry of breaking loose. The stereo system makes ours seem like a telephone speaker. Fit and finish were excellent, the driving position was comfortable and the room in the back with the seats folded is about 50% more than the M-coupe.

The only thing keeping me from taking it more seriously is that I think the looks of the car might take a little getting used to. Granted they don't have the old bathtub shape of the original TT but it's still not a beauty like the M Coupe. If you have the time and are interested in cars like I am you should take one out. I drove a 2010 911S last week and I have to say that I preferred the driving experience of this car more than that one. YMMV.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I like the car, but never saw one avail in the USA
      04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Saw one today as I drove past a dealer in Maryland. At a glance, it certainly looked different / special, then I caught the RS on the grill (i believe that's where I saw it). It had some really crazy black & red wheels on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I drove one nearly a year ago. It was fast, but it was so smooth that it didn't feel fast unless you looked down at the speedometer. I like a car with a little more grunt, roughness, and noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
The first generation TT (MK1) had a Gen I Haldex AWD system that had some lag transferring power to the back. That was remedied with a performance controller from Haldex.

The second generation TT (MK2) uses a Gen 4 Haldex system in the 2.0T and TTRS and a Gen 2 system in the 3.2 engined cars. Both of these are superior to the first generation right out of the box and all 4 wheels always 'feel engaged' all of the time.

In addition, all MK2 TTs use a chassis that is 68% aluminum and most body panels are aluminum as well. Steel is used for the rear hatch and rear floorpan areas to help balance out the front weight bias.

The end result is a much lighter car (my 3.2 TT Coupe 6MT weighed 3180lbs with almost a full tank of gas) that handles a lot better then MK1s and feel lively. If you get the magnetic ride suspension, the sport mode all but removes the need for an aftermarket suspension. Dial up front camber and get a good alignment, and these cars can be setup to have a lot of fun on the track.

They will never feel like a Z4MC but were not meant to either. They serve a wider purpose- all year round fun in addition to track days. The Z4MC feels like it was built for track days and can be used for daily driving in 3 seasons.

I was sure my next car would be a used e92 M3 down the line. After driving a Stage 2 TTRS, I am not so sure anymore. Car availbility and my circumstances will decide now as I consider both to be at the top of my list.

I've only ever driven the MK2 TTS. I've driven it a few times and one time at autocross. It definitely doesn't feel 4 wheel engaged like an RS4, nor does it feel rear wheel bias like an R8 (driven both of those as well). In my opinion the TTS feels like a front wheel drive bias car. I definitely don't like that. The TTS also has some serious turbo lag. Never driven the TTRS, I image the turbo lag is improved but the awd system is most likely the same.

Other than that, it's actually a surprisingly practical car. A lot of room in the rear seats and the trunk. My friend was even able to load a Christmas tree into the back of his with the rear seats folded down.

Last edited by marinb; 04-13-2013 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post

I've only ever driven the MK2 TTS. I've driven it a few times and one time at autocross. It definitely doesn't feel 4 wheel engaged like an RS4, nor does it feel rear wheel bias like an R8 (driven both of those as well). In my opinion the TTS feels like a front wheel drive bias car. I definitely don't like that. The TTS also has some serious turbo lag. Never driven the TTRS, I image the turbo lag is improved but the awd system is most likely the same.

Other than that, it's actually a surprisingly practical car. A lot of room in the rear seats and the trunk. My friend was even able to load a Christmas tree into the back of his with the rear seats folded down.
Yes, that's a MK1 to MK2 comparison. Coming from RWD cars it most def is a FWD biased system and given that almost 59% weight is on the front axle, it can only feel so good. The A4 based cars use Quattro that always keep the front and rear mechanically engaged whereas Haldex does not. My point was that the newer gen Haldex units have a lot of preload built in and react so quick that when driven under load, you will be able to engage the rear. Never like a RWD car though; like I said the comparison is not even fair as the cars have different missions in life- I have a 2008 TT 3.2 6MT and the Z4MC and they could not feel any different than they do while seeminly in the same 'sales and marketing bracket'. I love both cars for this reason.
Appreciate 0