ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
bax008
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

To keep or sell our Z4 decision

I recently posted on the forum, to keep or sell our Z4. I received a number of responses and I thank you for that. When I was in my 40's I went out and purchased a basket case 1967 Triumph TR4-A that was sitting in a barn in PA for $1,500. I, along with a good friend did a complete body off restoration on the car. I entered it in numerous car shows and won numerous trophies and enjoyed driving the car every chance I got. I sold the car some years ago. I started getting the itch for another sports car to enjoy. 2 years ago I was in the position to purchase another car, my decision was a 2005 Z4. The enjoyment I got from driving, washing, waxing and working on the car made me feel like I had my old TR4-A back, but much better in every way. When I look at the car it brings a smile to my face. My wife put her foot down and said we were not selling the car, and I agreed. Our decision is to keep our Z4 for as long as we can, put 100,000 miles + on the Prius and drive the Z4 every weekend, with the top down of course. As I look at cars today they all seem to look more and more alike, but when I see a Z4 on the road, I know what it is the second I see it.If we let this car go we will most likely never replace it, now that we are in our 60's. So we will hold on to it, enjoy it and stop concerning myself with the miles. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Excellent choice. Life's too short to drive a boring car. Many safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm glad to hear that is resolved!

My last recommendation is to replace those so-called "lifetime" fluids. They're lifetime only in the sense that they last the lifetime of the component. To extend the differential, cooling system, and transmission's life (automatic included) those fluids should be changed every 50K miles or so. Find a good indie shop that will do the work.

If you have any questions about maintenance or about any issues (should they ever arise) this is a great place to pose those questions. We're happy to help.

Happy motoring and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Great stuff!
Sounds like your wife has things (you) figured out

...something I can definitely relate to
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Great decision and one I doubt you'll ever regret.
      04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Sometimes you just hafta listen to your wife!
      04-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
bax008
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm glad to hear that is resolved!

My last recommendation is to replace those so-called "lifetime" fluids. They're lifetime only in the sense that they last the lifetime of the component. To extend the differential, cooling system, and transmission's life (automatic included) those fluids should be changed every 50K miles or so. Find a good indie shop that will do the work.

If you have any questions about maintenance or about any issues (should they ever arise) this is a great place to pose those questions. We're happy to help.

Happy motoring and enjoy!
I'm going to take your advice, I found a shop, they did my brakes and belts about a month ago, I'll drive up there this week and see if they can change the fluids in the differential, cooling system and auto trans. all other fluids were changed by the 1st owner around 30,000 miles.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

If the previous owner did that at 30k you found a great car to buy! Huge plus to buy from an owner who really cares for their car.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
I'm going to take your advice, I found a shop, they did my brakes and belts about a month ago, I'll drive up there this week and see if they can change the fluids in the differential, cooling system and auto trans. all other fluids were changed by the 1st owner around 30,000 miles.
Thanks
Don't forget the transmission filter if you're doing the tranny fluid. Make sure you use the OE filter and the proper OE fluid unless you want any trouble with shifting issues. Ask me how I know
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Z4-Life
UA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Hi Bax008. Wise Decision.

I've had my 2005 Z4 for a few years and I plan to keep it for life (hence the screen name). I am 35 now, but hopefully, I will still be driving and enjoying my roadster when I am in my golden years.

If we follow the good advice hear and give our babies the proper quality maintenance they will definitely last a lifetime. There is no doubt in my mind that in 25-30 years these finely engineered pieces of machinery will be considered classic/vintage automobiles.

Enjoy the ride. Here's to smooth roads and plenty of twists and turns.
Appreciate 0