ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

BMW Diagnostic and Coding software

You might like to check out the M3Cutters forum...

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75

They highly recommend software from this UK company that offers a "one click" install of software on your computer.

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/

BM Technic | BMW Diagnostic Cable | BMW Diagnostic Software « Diagnostic & Coding Cable with software for BMW. Automatic One Click Software Installation and BMW Cable with Ignition Detection.

"Coding and Programming features are also possible with our BMW cable package, not just diagnostic facilities! SSS Progman, NCS Expert and WinKFP are the tools for carrying out these tasks. The first being the recommended method for beginners and you can then move on to the advanced tools when you have gained some experience. [...]"

The Forum page dedicated to this company has 14 pages that attest to the easy of install ... And the company offers support in installing the program if a difficulty is experienced. They also offer patches for translating German to English...where required.

"Unique features of our diagnostic cables and software...

We strive to produce the best BMW and Mini cable package available. Our diagnostic products come with the following features as standard:

The latest software and ECU data file versions

This ensures you have the best possible experience and less hurdles to over come when using the software on your car!
Our version of the NCS Expert tool works native on 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. The 64 bit versions of Windows is found on most modern laptops. You won’t get a 64 bit compatible version of NCS Expert from anywhere else!
Out of date ECU files will prevent you accessing modules and coding your car, so save yourself the hassle, by purchasing from us.
Real Ignition Detection:
Our USB Diagnostic cable uses the latest controller chip and has full ignition detection support enabling you to code car key memory options and benefit from automatic vehicle identification. Our cable is exceptional quality and contains only the best components ensuring full safety for both you and your BMW.

Automatic One Click Software Installer:"
      02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Have you ordered and used their cable and software?

This looks really promising for a lot of people since it runs on Win7 Home Premium and has a "one-click" installer.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-06-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

It's in the mail ... Should be here late next week. Have to reinstall Windows software in a notebook first.

One note... The software will only run on one computer. There is a hardware file that needs to run on your computer that generates a "key" and that is used to unlock the software for use.

I'm waiting to have my son reinstall the software on the notebook so I can generate my key...
      02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Looking forward to your review.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looking forward to this too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
It's in the mail ... Should be here late next week. Have to reinstall Windows software in a notebook first.

One note... The software will only run on one computer. There is a hardware file that needs to run on your computer that generates a "key" and that is used to unlock the software for use.

I'm waiting to have my son reinstall the software on the notebook so I can generate my key...
I can understand the software lock if they spend time developing the software. Do you know if there are limits on number of vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

If you go to the site it will explain the differences in the three versions of cable/software offered. Mostly it has to do with the different cable required to fit the various years vehicles. Any vehicle within the specific years that the cable fits are accessible for diagnostics/coding etc....

The M3Cutters forum website has a thread/webpage (14 pages) dedicated to chatter/advice on the use of the software package... Nothing but praise for its easy of install and support. The support given by the company on answering questions and providing information on installing/the odd install/computer requirements issue is remarkable.
      02-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

They specify:
* a BLACK cable for all BMWs manufactured until Feb 2007, and
* a WHITE cable for all BMWs manufactured from March 2007 until Aug 2009.

Since the Z4 coupe falls into both groups, does this mean that the cable connector actually changed on the Z4 in March 2007???
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Would like to know this as well...^^
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
It's in the mail ... Should be here late next week.
So nu? Arrived by now ..... ?????????
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Hardware ID program didn't like my notebook set up...Chris said it came up with an error msg. I had a HD with a HP based Windows 7 install... dropped into an Acer notebook... It had compatibility issues so am waiting for a my son to re do the software with a clean Windows install...as per Chris's advice. Getting software Tues or Wed... Install and re-do the hardware ID... Clean install on original HD will fix the hardware compatibility issue as well as the Hardware ID issue...

Should have everything installed by weekend.
      02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
They specify:
* a BLACK cable for all BMWs manufactured until Feb 2007, and
* a WHITE cable for all BMWs manufactured from March 2007 until Aug 2009.

Since the Z4 coupe falls into both groups, does this mean that the cable connector actually changed on the Z4 in March 2007???
Quote:
BMW X3 (E83) and Z4 (E85/E86) owners – please contact us at sales@bmtechnic.co.uk immediately after placing an order so we can ensure a suitable cable is shipped due to slight variances in these particular models.
Honestly I would love to know what those variations are. But even those cables from Romania say they are for cars up to March 2007

Last edited by psygnosis; 02-24-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

so what does this software do? sorry. i am new here.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Any update?
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

I have complete control of coding my '07 M Coupe. I have PA Soft 1.4 and it works great! Besides that it is all in english.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

So.... finally got the original software re-loaded on my notebook. Sent off to Chris the generated Hardware ID and within two hours had my unlock key for the software. Considering it was 10pm on Saturday night in England when he received my email.... I call that great customer service.

Installed on notebook with minimum requirements... Dual processor/1.66 Ghz ..but have 2 GB ram.

So having started the install software and copied my unlock key into the program when required....

00:00 Start install. Requests install supplied USB cable (need to always use same USB port with cable... states this during install)
02:30 Start install of INPA
05:30 Reboot required
07:30 Start install of TIS
19:15 Install Nav Coder (installs Trial version. If you want complete version it costs 25 Euro to register/download full version)
21:15 Start install of VM Ware Player (Connects to internet to download 75MB program)
27:00 Reboot required. 2nd reboot required as program stated some setting needed to be fixed.
30:00 Start DIS install
37:30 Start install of Software Service Station (25 GB). Not required to download if you don't want to. Actually encourages you to use other installed programs as easier to use. I downloaded anyway.
1:01:00 Install finished......

Need to start/launch SSS and DIS to complete their installs.... did so with no issues. You can suspend rather than exit some of the larger programs so that you can go between programs... that's my interpretation.
All in all... installed as advertised with no issues that I'm aware of at the moment. Have to learn to use it now. Chris has guides on the BMTechnic website on how to use the various programs.... project for the week.

Has a nice program launcher to launch which ever program you want.

BM Technic Launch Pad has the following programs...

INPA English
INPA German
DIS/GT1
NCS Expert
TIS
SSS Progman
NavCoder
WinKFP
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

So DIS program on my little notebook runs in VMWare.... I would suggest that you run on full size laptop screen so you don't have to switch between VMWare screen and Windows screen to scroll. Control-Alt switches you... Control-G puts you back into the DIS program... Read the tutorial that's linked to the BMTechnic website... Walks you through using it.. Pretty easy to use some of the basic functions afterwards...
Ran the diagnostics check and saw all the codes that had faulted ... Ran through the faults and checked to ensure the various systems were functional...cleared the faults afterwards... Still have SZM Switching centre showing for some reason (Siren that's not installed or was it that I didn't complete the checking of the seat heater switches properly??) and GM5...
Hmmm.. After running diagnostics quick delete again those faults are cleared but have DME and EPS indicating a fault... Finger problems perhaps ??? So checked test Schedule and there are no current faults showing...just Siren fault which we show if no Siren fitted...
So enough playing around tonight to learn program.
      03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
stasha
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Clearance,
I bought the software/cable off eBay from a place in UK, thinking that it would be more easy to converse with them if problems. (I think all the software and programs are identical -- it's the service that may vary.)(Funny, but I think the UK seller is Romanian also)

I have been back and forth with them many times, and still cannot get VMWare installed correctly.
He sent me a link to a one-stop shop to download everything, much like the people you're dealing with.

It's likely something that I am doing wrong -- or unsuspecting.

Another problem I had was setting up the port for the cable following their directions.

All i want to do is register my battery so that all the functions in the car will start working again (the NAV screen is stopped halfway open, and the heater/AC only blows low speed fan).

I'd appreciate any key points that you might have discovered that you had to overcome. My knowledge of computers is dangerous -- I know just enough to know I don't know enough.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

The software install was literally a one click install. After a required reboot you would tell it to relaunch the installation program from the CD ( as directed) and click on a program to install so there were no issues. That is what they are selling. The hardware ID program that you run tells them exactly what hardware and software your computer is running and their unlock key which is based on the hardware ID result gives the install program the appropriate direction to do so.

So for me I had absolutely no issues installing the programs and accessing my car via the supplied cable.

I would discuss the MVWare issue with a knowledgeable computer shop/nerd to have it installed. If you have access to the DIS program you need to access the Administration page and then the communications page...to fix your access issue..... based on my "screwing around " and accidentally accessing the Admin page...

I was smart enough to leave it quickly and not cause issues by changing things.

One thing though that was emphasized ... Turn off the Windows firewall... It blocks communication with the car... I did confirm that it's required as without turning it off it came up with the communications error. This maybe the root cause of your particular problem....
      03-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
When I bought the BMTechnic cable and software, I had a discussion with Chris and we talked about both my 2003 and the 2008. He had to modify the cable so it would work with both model years. He did this before he shipped it out to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Shipkiller... I have to check the coding on my DSP amp which was a replacement supplied to me after I bought the car this fall. I get one 6" woofer (passenger well) that distorts on songs that have lots of bass. I checked the radio settings etc and couldn't find any setup errors (mid point). I replaced it but no change so need to confirm that the amp is coded for the car. Which is the preferred program used to check and eventually code if required? That will be next my research/software training to use the software.
      08-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

1 more added to the BMtechnic users list.

Fantastic experience working with them.
Installation was a piece of cake.

Definitely 2 thumbs up from me.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0