ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Arrgo1
Not so new member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

KW V3 settings

People,
Got my nice shiny new set of KW V3's installed this past weekend and I was wondering what some of you who have them are running for settings. Right now I have them on the out-of-the box settings

Front: Rebound 8 click from full hard/Compression 6 clicks from full hard
Rear: Rebound 8 click from full hard/Compression 5 clicks from full hard

What I've already noticed is a much more supple ride with fairly good control, but I feel there could be more improvements with some fine tuning. The car is not going to the track, just fast road driving/canyon carving on mixed road surfaces, some good some not so good. What I would really like is a bit more comfort but still maintaining good composure/control at higher speeds. Yes I know there are tradeoffs and I'm not looking for a Rolls Royce ride quality, but I'm fairly sure it could be better!

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks very much,
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

I am not a pro in suspension tuning, thought I did the installation my self.

I am trying to fine tune it, trying to get even right height (struggling here) and nice dampening control.

To share my current settings:
Front: Rebound 4 click from full hard/Compression 3 clicks from full hard
Rear: Rebound 6 click from full hard/Compression 3 clicks from full hard
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #3
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgo1 View Post
What I would really like is a bit more comfort but still maintaining good composure/control at higher speeds. Yes I know there are tradeoffs and I'm not looking for a Rolls Royce ride quality, but I'm fairly sure it could be better!
Your perception of the comfort/ride will essentially be determined by the rebound settings of the rear dampers, so for road use you want this pretty soft. You can set the rear compression relatively a bit stiffer than the rebound though. I would suggest that you try setting up your rear dampers much softer, say, rebound 3 clicks from full soft and compression 5 clicks from full soft and then fine tune.

The front damper settings can be set a fair bit stiffer than the rear, where compression is slightly stiffer than rebound. The only way to properly set up the suspension to your requirements is by experimentation where you knowingly set the dampers too stiff and then keep backing off until it feels just right. The front suspension will be too stiff when you feel the bumps through your wrists when holding the steering wheel.

I have
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Arrgo1
Not so new member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
Your perception of the comfort/ride will essentially be determined by the rebound settings of the rear dampers, so for road use you want this pretty soft. You can set the rear compression relatively a bit stiffer than the rebound though. I would suggest that you try setting up your rear dampers much softer, say, rebound 3 clicks from full soft and compression 5 clicks from full soft and then fine tune.

The front damper settings can be set a fair bit stiffer than the rear, where compression is slightly stiffer than rebound. The only way to properly set up the suspension to your requirements is by experimentation where you knowingly set the dampers too stiff and then keep backing off until it feels just right. The front suspension will be too stiff when you feel the bumps through your wrists when holding the steering wheel.

I have
Exdos,
Thanks very much for the suggestions, I've since read your comprehensive and loooong thread on Z4 forum and have since tried your Z3M settings

Front
Rebound 10, bump 10
Rear
Rebound 13, bump 14

These I found a bit too floaty and unsettled around off camber and bumpy corners

I'm on
Front
Rebound 9, bump 7
Rear
Rebound 11, bump 8

Seems much more buttoned down but still much more compliant with a lot of the hard edge taken out. As you say there's no better way than to make a change and go for a ride. I'm much closer to where I want to be so now I'm just going to play around a bit closer to where I am right now.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgo1 View Post
Exdos,
Thanks very much for the suggestions, I've since read your comprehensive and loooong thread on Z4 forum and have since tried your Z3M settings

Seems much more buttoned down but still much more compliant with a lot of the hard edge taken out. As you say there's no better way than to make a change and go for a ride. I'm much closer to where I want to be so now I'm just going to play around a bit closer to where I am right now.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Happy to help!

Being able to set compression and rebound independently of each other really allows you to get the suspension to function at its best.
Appreciate 0