ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Cant stand it anymore. Been watchin STIHLBOLTS car in my rear view (yes I know, only so you could show them off, otherwise no one else drives that fast - except when I'm trying to keep up with you).

Little background:
1. Started out looking at Tekarbon - They do an Awesome job. Considering what involved, their price is pretty reasonable. But I'm cheap - that's mod money I can spend elsewhere.
2. Then I saw this thread from across the pond:
http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2953
After reviewing all million pages it's obvious it can be done (kudos to CJ10Jeeper and approx 1/3 of the current UK population. Yes they all contributed; perhaps the UK received more of the Z4 production than we did.). Its not a proper "How To" as the Brits would say, but its very informative. It is also pretty narrow in scope towards the pre-facelift lights. Mine are post-facelift, but the really rough stuff is all external or in the details of keeping things clean.
3. Originally in 2008 CJ10jeeper did his with CCFL's. I will be doing this with LED's. They are typically brighter, and more durable. He also discussed, at length, "going Clear" or "de-tango" as they refer to eliminating the amber in the turn signals. Below, his photo of his work. Inspiring!
Name:  nighttime.jpg
Views: 16305
Size:  60.5 KB

4. CJ also required 2 sets of lights, to end up with a single complete set that did not look like they had been hacked in two. He cut at the lens on one set then cut the housing on the other. Then he spent about 3-4 hours cleaning each up so the lens from one could go into the channel from the other. He also sourced parts from newer donor lights in order to assist with de-tango. In the sacrifical set the black housing is destroyed by the process. I wont be doing things that way. By about 2011 most folks on the Z4 Forum didnt use a sacrificial set as the used price just kept going up. I have found a for parts only light on Ebay and will use this to practice on but probably wont be addressing "Going Clear" as even my ebay light is pretty clear already.
Name:  06 08 Pass HL.jpg
Views: 12480
Size:  40.0 KB

5. This post will get updated as I get parts in. Probably take me 1-2 months to finish it all. partially because parts are coming in from Ireland. Could probably source something closer but they are the only ones who put together an LED "Kit" that has been tested for our cars. Otherwise you are trying to put together, SMD LED ring, Plastic Protector, wiring, relay, etc.
AE kit I ordered:
Name:  BMWE85Z4LEDAngelEyesWHITE1.jpg
Views: 12336
Size:  38.5 KB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220947746512...84.m1497.l2649

Necessary Tools and supplies:
1. Dremel tool
2. Dremel fiber reinforced cutoff wheel pn 426. If you have the fancy saw blade just say no and stick with the fiber reinforced wheel. At speed the sawblade will bury itself in your finger before you even feel it.
Name:  fiber cutoff wheel.jpg
Views: 12356
Size:  6.9 KB
DO NOT use the cute little red or black cutoff wheels (they come with the dremel kits) that you can snap in half with 2 fingers. Just a little cross torque at speed and they shatter. Dont know why they even sell them - looks like a Lawyer retirement fund to me.

3. Some Nitrile or latex gloves - when you are handling the interior components so you dont put your personal stamp (fingerprints) all over your work.
4. Shop vac - you are going to make a mess cutting these open
5. Compressed air - to blow out the headlight once its cut open
6. Drill and bits
7. Rubbing Alcohol and microfiber hand towels
8. Both Clear and Black tubes of RTV
9. Trim tape (3M
10. Razor knife
11. 10 ga Red wire - 18-24 inches
12. 14 gauge double wire 12-18 inches
13. Bullet connectors
14. Wire strippers
15. Wire cutting pliers

AUGUST 11 2012 UPDATE
Bulb removal –
Before you cut anything, pull the back cover and remove the two indicator bulbs and the HID or headlight bulb. Since none of them is cheap, find a home somewhere safe for them (not the bench you are cutting on). Then put the back cover back on and lock it down.
Name:  Inicator bulbs small.jpg
Views: 12211
Size:  113.1 KB

Locating – I don’t think anyone has done this previously so maybe you can disregard.
Before I cut I drilled 3 locator holes. When I reassemble I stick brass rods (like you can get from the hobby shop) in so I’m not worried about the L/R or up/down of how the lens is positioned.
Name:  locater holes small.jpg
Views: 12153
Size:  98.2 KB

Cutting
This is the squeamish part. It makes us all nervous, including me. That is why I bought a junk light on eBay; to learn and practice. After I cut that one I am very confident. I did learn something new in regards to removing the chrome light shroud, after the lens is cut off, so it was not a total waste of $75.
Cutoff wheels - Of the different cutting wheels, what I like the best is the Dremel Fiber reinforced cutoff wheels (Dremel PN 426).

The Cut - The black housing has a channel that the lens fits in to. You are going to cut through the lens, separating it from the housing. At the end of cutting, you will have a channel that has its middle filled with sealant and the portion of the lens that slotted into the channel.
So cut the black housing just behind the clear plastic lens. Take your time and allow the Dremel to do the job. I run mine at about 80% speed. LIMIT THE CUT TO 1/4” DEEP. That should cut through the lens. Do not try to cut that deep in one pass, probably about 3-4 passes, otherwise you just end doing more melting than cutting. Work 2-3inch sections at a time, and then move to the next adjacent section. I stopped about every 3rd section cut and shop vac’ed everything.
Name:  cut small.jpg
Views: 12129
Size:  76.1 KB

Once you have made it all around the housing use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry to see if you have cut through. If not go back and cut the required areas.
Before you remove the lens wipe it exterior and prep an out of the way spot for it. Then put on your gloves. Although if you dont have them microfiber towels and a little rubbing alcohol should remove any fingerprints you leave.
Lens is removed below
Name:  Lens cut off.jpg
Views: 12399
Size:  79.0 KB

After I removed the lens and blew out the interior with compressed air I still was not happy wtih the dust I saw, so the chrome trim needs to come out. In order to remove it you need to clear out the Black Housing channel where this trim is inserted. Why, because the cut off part of lens that is still in the channel is holding it in.
First remove the two torx screws at the bottom of the trim.
Name:  torx screws.jpg
Views: 13037
Size:  82.4 KB

Next clear the channel at the 4 points the trim enters it. Maybe there is some small attachment for the dremel that will grind this but I used a SMALL wood chisel, mine are very sharp. if you use a chisel, BEFORE you do, BRACE the housing with wood or something solid, so the housing is not resting on any of the external housing MOUNTING tabs. THEY WILL BREAK. When ready, put the chisel where you want to cut and hit it with a deadweight or rubber hammer. Then dig the broken peiece out of the channel. A razor knife and a SMALL flathead screwdriver worked pretty well for this.
Name:  Tabs.jpg
Views: 12238
Size:  74.7 KB

Chrome trim removed - careful when pulling this off as you have a light still attached in the lower left had corner
Name:  Trim removed.jpg
Views: 15733
Size:  100.9 KB

08/15/2012 - Angel eyes arrived today - FYI - I like a seperate wiring harness. This set came with one; but its pretty standard. You can buy just the harness from Umnumzia for $20 plus shipping. I like to leave the existing car harness untouched and I get my power straight from the battery through a triggered relay that has its own fuse. - No stupid BMW light bulb interrogation to deal with and no additional amperage on what should be an engineered wiring harness. While these Angel eyes, in total only pull 680 ma, on a 14 gage braided wire that can be a big jump. Plus, anything goes wrong with the AE's or the harness its totally seperate from the rest of the car and FUSED. Lots of folks just hook these up to grounds within the lights and tap power off the cheesy BMW AE bulb (no opinion here). I've watched cars burn to the ground in ten minutes flat from an electrical short. Little paranoia is a good thing. PLUS - I can trigger from two seperate sources, i.e. the interior lights that come on when I unlock the car and since I have an "SI," I'll trigger the other with..... my fog light switch!

First gotta do a little op check. If you remember, this kit came with a wiring harness. No instructions came with it, but its pretty simple. Kudos to "FAST M" - thats where the below photo comes from. The ONLY difference bet mine and his is the color of the trigger wires. LATER we'll need to mod the harness to make it fit the Z4 but for now just need to see it light UP.
Name:  angeleyes04.jpg
Views: 14047
Size:  292.5 KB
DISCONNECT the GROUND ON YOUR BATTERY - Then...

1. Big fat red wire with "loop" termination - to pos terminal @ rear center of firewall.
Name:  Pos Terminal.jpg
Views: 12577
Size:  179.7 KB
Name:  pos connection.jpg
Views: 12625
Size:  106.1 KB
2. Single black wire with "loop" termination - connect here for good ground
Name:  Ground.jpg
Views: 13688
Size:  122.0 KB
3. Two sets of bullet connections - to the angel eyes.
4. That leaves a white wire and a yellow wire - these are triggers - if you touch/connect either to any 12v positive source the lights turn on.

Reconnect battery ground, Touch the trigger wire to the same source and.... we have light.
Name:  Op Check.jpg
Views: 12866
Size:  149.0 KB

08/19/2012 - Update
So now its time to install the AE's - and button up the headlights.
1. Gotta drill two holes -
a. one in the back cover of the headlight - I like either of the two recesses in the headlight access cover.
Name:  back cover hole.jpg
Views: 12283
Size:  158.5 KB
b. Other ones in the silver/chrome lens shroud. Careful with this so you dont scratch up the lens shroud.
2. Now its time to put the AE's in.
a. Fish the wires through
b. Clean all contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol
c. Apply 2 to 4 small strips of trim tape to back side of AE's - this is what keeps them together while RTV is drying.
d. Apply Small bead of CLEAR RTV to the CENTER of the remainder of the open AE back cover. DONT GET RTV on the trim tape
Name:  AE glu up.jpg
Views: 13515
Size:  172.0 KB

3. Now carefully (orient the gap in the AE's to same point) push the new AE's on the old AE's. NOTE - the left old AE is only secured to the shroud at the top and the bottom - so push there NOT at 90 and 270 degrees, unless you can support it from the back. Great thing about the trim tape is you dont have to wait for the RTV to dry. You can keep going
Dont stress about the fingerprints(no filthy hands though) rubbing alcohol & microfiber cloth - gently wipe they come right off
Name:  AEs pressed on.jpg
Views: 12028
Size:  147.0 KB
Its time to attach lens to the housing. PIC's Tommorrow
1. Bring lens under STRONG light - use microfiber cloth to clean out interior of lens. Turn lens in the light to make sure the interior is clean.
2. Clean the contact surface of the lens with rubbing alcohol and set to the side.
3. Place Housing so its stable - I use my car wash walmart 3 gallon bucket.
Name:  3 gal bucket.jpg
Views: 12191
Size:  124.9 KB
4. Look at contact surface of housing. If necessary clean it up with a razor knife. - Dont get to anal about this, just stuff on the edges.
5. Clean the contact surface of the Housing wtih rubbing alcohol.
6. Run a small-medium bead of BLACK RTV on the contact surface of the Housing. NOT a ton of RTV. you will be filling gaps from the exterior once lens/housing are joined. If you previously pulled the sliver/chrome lens shroud you will need to fill the gaps with RTV.
Name:  RTV bead.jpg
Views: 11985
Size:  120.0 KB
7. Then set the lens in place. If you drilled locator holes use them. If not, it pretty much goes where it should. Press down on the lens (Just hand pressure dont lean into it) and check the edges all around to see that you have a good contact. Let that set for 5 min or so then use the RTV again to fill any gaps from the outside.
Name:  gap fill.jpg
Views: 11848
Size:  99.9 KB
8. Once you have filled all the gaps dip finger in water and smooth the bead on the outside. Tekarbon does a little more than this. He builds the RTV up on the outside of the housing and creates kind of a "T" with the RTV. I don't know if this adds anything to the strength of the seal or not. If you are going to do this Clean the exterior of the housing with rubbing alcohol first. Personally, I dont think its necessary. I know some of the Brit's didnt make the "T" and I think I would have read somewhere in the Z4Forum about lens covers coming off. But if it really worries you probably the best thing would be to take those locator holes, tap them and run a proper sized screw in them, ie a 1/8" something. Combined with the RTV - thats not coming apart.
Okay - at this point you have angel eyes installed, and the wiring should be sticking out the back of the headlight housing. Let everything sit 24 hrs so the RTV sets up completely. in the mean time wie can mod the wiring harness, and get it set in the car.

WIRING HARNESS - DON'T attach Battery POS TERMINAL YET - remember the pic above, yeah the part about sex life and scorched fingers.
Here's what we need to mod this. We are going to do four things:
1. Extend the fat, 12 gauge wire by 28 inches .
2. Make connectorized 24 inch extension for the short leg of the angel eye harness.
3. Then run the lines for the AE interior light trigger - AE's come on when you unlock your car.
4. Then run the line for the AE DRL's - AE's come on when you start your car and are always on. - YOU will need a multi-meter for this to confirm you have an Ignition switch powered positive line.
Name:  Wiring Harness mod.jpg
Views: 12523
Size:  222.5 KB

Power line mod - See pic below
Name:  Power line mod.jpg
Views: 12305
Size:  198.2 KB

Harness extension - see pic below NOTE the way the bullet connectors are attached - doesnt matter what color wire gets attached to m or F connector - Follow the picture.
1. One end of the two wires gets a male and a female connector.
2. The other end of the two wires is set up Opposite the first.
Name:  Harness extension.jpg
Views: 12851
Size:  224.6 KB

AE interior light trigger line. This was a little bit of a PITA.
1. Pull the airbag cover below the steering wheel - 5 phillips screws. You will notice the footwell light is attached to the cover. Pull the harness out of the light.

2. This will give you access to 2 bulkhead plugs. one above the other. You will used the top one. Get a flashlight and get eyes on target. BUT DONT POP IT OUT YET. If you do it will fall into the engine bay, you will spend and hour looking for it and the next time you see it will be when your cat is using it as a hockey puck.
Name:  airbag cover.jpg
Views: 12218
Size:  108.2 KB

3. Get some trim tape and some thread or string. FROM the engine bay side use the trim tape to attach the string to the plug and tie it off some where. Then go back under the steerring wheel and pop it out. YOU can now pull the plug up with your string, secure in the knowledge you are not chasing, cussing 10 cent parts across your garage.

4. Drill a small hole in the plug - you will run about 2 feet of 14-16 gauge wire through it to attach to one of the wiring harness trigger wires to the POSITIVE line of the footwell light.

5. Put the plug back in the bulkhead from the interior side. The side shown in the pic above is the side you should see from the interior as you push it back in. Just line it up on the hole and push from the center. It will snap in place. In the future you can push it out from the engine compartment.
Name:  Int light trigger line.jpg
Views: 15061
Size:  142.1 KB

WIRING HARNESS LAYOUT - PULL GROUND WIRE OFF OF THE BATTERY FIRST.
1. Pull the cover off of the radiator
2. Lay out the harness - short end goes to driver side H/L
3. White trigger wire is down near the driver side H/L. I trimed up it's spade connector and plugged it right into the my existing driver side fog light harness (pos line). If you dont have this or want DRL's then you need to attach it to a positive line that comes on when the ignition is turned on.
3. Attach Harness extension to Driver side H/L - route this up as you install the H/L.
4. Install Pass H/L - as you install there is just enough room for you to attach the harness to the AE wiring from the light.
5. Attach Harness POS and Ground connections.
6. Reconnect Battery Ground.
Button it up. Drive, look cool.............

Stuff I learned.
1. Cost - $63 bucks for the Sidabra24 AE's with harness -http://www.ebay.com/itm/220947746512?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2648
2. Cost for all other stuff - RTV, wire, connectors, alcohol, etc maybe another 40-50 bucks
3. Labor - time to do it first time 6 hours - I could probably do it now in 3-4.
4. Other AE's - SuperbrightLEDS.com has some that look sweet - really smooth, like ccfls(AE80-NW81-COB), but the cover that comes seperate is too tall and looks crude. They also have another AE (AEPC80-NW54-T10) that would be suitable http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Faepc80x54.htm
But these are more expensive at $20 each w/o a harness. A harness is available from Umnuzia for $20.
5. Doing this the Tekarbon way - 80mm OD AE's are what works. Looking close at Tekarbons work they are attached in the same manner as what I do here - straight glue on to the OEM AE's. If you wanted to take the time it might be possible to wire up plain AEs (dont have the plastic cover) behind the OEM AE plastic covers so it looks totally OEM. 80mm would probably work for the outside but something smaller would be needed for the inside light.
Name:  Harness layout.jpg
Views: 12128
Size:  181.1 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by BruceJ; 11-27-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      07-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

nice bro, I am planning of doing the same thing, I bought ccfl rings, didn't know they make Led rings for our car, thanks for let us know..
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
nice bro, I am planning of doing the same thing, I bought ccfl rings, didn't know they make Led rings for our car, thanks for let us know..
Supposed to be 80mm outer diameter - Guess I'll find out once I get them.
80 vice 85mm was a better fit for the pre facelift lights.

Same company also claims a CCFL kit for our car -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220947257259...84.m1423.l2649

Where did you source your rings?
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

good luck. I'm interested in a diy where you only use one set of lights
      07-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

I used a heat gun to to open my headlight, I do not recommend anyone to open the headlights by this method, takes a lot of time, and make it really hard to re seal it.
these are the rings that I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-E...ht_2807wt_1189
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

i posted my adventures in that z4post thread, took mine apart and painted my silver backs matte black, also spray tinted my orange 'hockey sticks' as they call em to 'de-tango'

just used the set of lights that came with my car, cut them open using only one disk (the second one in your list for fibreglass reinforcing)

i decided not to add angels at this time, i like the look so maybe i'll cut em open again and add yellowish LEDs since i like that look better for daytime.

anyways, its pretty easy, glued em back shut with a no more nails type of construction adhesive, its light brown and looks bad but when they are re installed and hood closed, you dont see the seal.

I can answer any questions for people wanting to try this...

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I hear you on Tekarbon's cost ($300), but doesn't the cost of donor hardware already offset Tekarbon's price?
      07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
subscribed.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
I hear you on Tekarbon's cost ($300), but doesn't the cost of donor hardware already offset Tekarbon's price?
No "Donor" headlights using this method. Cost - angel eyes, glue, gloves, dremel tool and other tools if you dont already have them.
Quite a few of the Brits did it w/o extra set of H/Ldue to the price escalating for the donor lights so I'm gonna do it this way too.

This is what Tekarbon probably does as I doubt they have some cheap supply of donor H/L and after seeing the housing exterior after they mod, it sure looks like they cut it open.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Would be possible for you to take pictures of where you are cutting the headlight?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

i cut mine exactly where the clear lens meets the black housing, no need for a donor set.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Would be possible for you to take pictures of where you are cutting the headlight?
Once I get to that point - absolutely. Hopefully in the next week or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr_bimmer View Post
i cut mine exactly where the clear lens meets the black housing, no need for a donor set.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited by BruceJ; 07-31-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Once I get to that point - absolutely. Hopefully in the next week or so

Thanks for the info!
Thank you sir! Def going to do this over the winter but I am just going to replace the inner halos and not add the two outer ones.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Thank you sir! Def going to do this over the winter but I am just going to replace the inner halos and not add the two outer ones.
Not following your thinking on that one...
If you go to the trouble of taking them apart why not do both so that they are a match?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
If you go to the trouble of taking them apart why not do both so that they are a match?
+1; there will be a huge difference in the light output of each.

"Ranski" in the Z4 Forum did something similar, shortly after, he didnt care for it and took all apart and reinstalled with two per headlight. Good news is that all that holds them together is the glue you use so its much easier to get them apart the next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Sounds like you've done your research. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing this completed
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
+1; there will be a huge difference in the light output of each.

"Ranski" in the Z4 Forum did something similar, shortly after, he didnt care for it and took all apart and reinstalled with two per headlight. Good news is that all that holds them together is the glue you use so its much easier to get them apart the next time.
The outter halo only illuminates when the xenon light is On because it is fed through a light tube from the xenon. To me I can't see it through the head light beam. When my xenons are off I have the drl's turned on which just illuminates the just the inner halo which i love but I just wish it was brighter. I just have never been a fan of the quad halo headlight on our cars.

I simply love the look of just the inner halo... It is very unique to the Z4 M Coupe along with our ///M badge on the wrong side of the ass.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

......I guess that's why our cars all look a little different.
I luv the matching quad look.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
......I guess that's why our cars all look a little different.
I luv the matching quad look.
+1 i was pretty upset when i bought the car and realized it wasnt a quad halo set up lol absolutely love my angel eyes now,

Kudos to you OP for doing this
      08-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep

August 12 Update

I updated the orginal post for cutting of the lens and removal of the chrome trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^nice work & good detail to the write up.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
The outter halo only illuminates when the xenon light is On because it is fed through a light tube from the xenon. To me I can't see it through the head light beam. When my xenons are off I have the drl's turned on which just illuminates the just the inner halo which i love but I just wish it was brighter. I just have never been a fan of the quad halo headlight on our cars.

I simply love the look of just the inner halo... It is very unique to the Z4 M Coupe along with our ///M badge on the wrong side of the ass.

Hawks Nest?