ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quick Drain Oil Valve

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ and http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/prod...l-drain-valves
Anyone have experience with one or the other of these?
      09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

I've had these on my last 5 cars. They are built with quality and will not open unless you want it to. I don't know enough about the Z4 yet to know how it would fit on our cars though. Clearance can be an issue depending on the vehicle. But I've had these on all sorts of cars and found them to be indispensable for those of you who like to change your own oil, or for those who don't trust grease monkeys to apply proper torque to your oil drain pan.

-Edit - I just looked at your second link. Looks interesting, but my post is in reference only to the fumoto oil drain valve.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Fumoto are not for bottom drain cars. It is a very tight fit and I wouldn't take a chance it might damage oil pan or the threads. i have it on my wife's suby.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Fumoto are not for bottom drain cars. It is a very tight fit and I wouldn't take a chance it might damage oil pan or the threads. i have it on my wife's suby.
Do you think the Stahlbus would be any better clearance wise?
      09-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

I have no experience with Stahlbus. It looks like this valve was desgined for bottom drain. There aren't much details on the actual valve size. Our cars don't have much clearance IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I have no experience with Stahlbus. It looks like this valve was desgined for bottom drain. There aren't much details on the actual valve size. Our cars don't have much clearance IIRC.
No arguement on the limited clearance. Let's see if Stahlbus will respond to an email.
      09-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

What's wrong with the hex plug?

After an unsuccessful experience with valve mechanisms (Speed Bleeders), I find the "old-fashioned" way of twisting stuff with tools really isn't such a big deal after all.

As for grease monkeys, I'd be skeptical they'd know how to operate it and try to take it off anyway.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
What's wrong with the hex plug?

As for grease monkeys, I'd be skeptical they'd know how to operate it and try to take it off anyway.
I had this happen to me, even after I SPECIFICALLY told the guy as I was pulling in NOT TO remove the valve.

The guy in the pit obviously didn't get the memo and didn't think twice to remove the valve when it must have been blatantly obvious it was NOT a standard bolt. Some people just don't have common sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
I had this happen to me, even after I SPECIFICALLY told the guy as I was pulling in NOT TO remove the valve.

The guy in the pit obviously didn't get the memo and didn't think twice to remove the valve when it must have been blatantly obvious it was NOT a standard bolt. Some people just don't have common sense.
Excellent point! It would appear that the main benefit would be to only those who do their own oil changes.
      09-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Just received this back from my Stahlbus inquiry:

"The cap is about 3mm under your flap from the under shield. If you want to measure by yourself the valve sticks 22mm out of your oil pan, the original only about 4mm."
      09-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Just received this back from my Stahlbus inquiry:

"The cap is about 3mm under your flap from the under shield. If you want to measure by yourself the valve sticks 22mm out of your oil pan, the original only about 4mm."
I'll pass on this. 3mm is not much tolerance given how low our cars sit already.
Appreciate 0