ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

to flash or not

Driving home tonight in the rain, I was driving in the fast (left) lane behind some slow drivers. I flashed them. Once, and only once. My wife eventually said that she's embarrassed to be in the car with me and that I shouldn't flash because it makes me an a-hole.
Fine. After that I was an a-hole because the next guy slowed down and refused to move, and tried boxing me in with the traffic on the side. So I overtook him on the right aggressively. Shame on me.

But my question is: is it appropriate to flash a driver who's camped in the left lane, when clearly there is room on the middle lane for them to move to?

P.S. Safety nuts: please don't tell me you shouldn't drive fast in the rain at night. Fast is subjective, and all you know from what i said is I was driving faster than someone else, not driving recklessly.

Thanks!
      09-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Unfortunately, flashing seems to be pointless since most people on the road are clueless, especially those camped out in the left lane!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwabmw View Post
Unfortunately, flashing seems to be pointless since most people on the road are clueless, especially those camped out in the left lane!
x2

I do it maybe once a year, usually when driving on a four lane road (two lanes going in one direction) and the person in the left lane is clearly going too slow. But as I've aged I've learned that if the right lane is open, I just zoom over there and fly by. But if the right lane is full, and the person in the left lane is at least inching ahead, I try to be patient. If they are clearly just lolly-gagging along and/or talking on the phone and not paying attention, then I'm inclined to flash them. If it looks like it's a guy that could act aggressively and/or carry a gun, I tend to hang back and let him do whatever he wants.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

One of my biggest pet peeves. Your never an Asshole for telling someone they're wrong and creating a hazard. If your not going faster than the lane to your right, get into it! I wish I could throw them a copy of the State Drivers manual with the rule highlighted - "Traffic moving at less than the normal speed should always use the right lane". I have no problem with not only flashing my lights but I'll get in front of them after passing and hand signal them to move to the right lane.

I've also hand pointed to the next speed limit sign to point out they're going too slow as well. Its one of the benefits of being in a convertible. People can see you.

Road rage doesn't concern me too much as most campers by nature aren't aggressive. That's why they're camping. Usually Just an idiot that needs to be woken up!

Also, Ill always let a driver in front of me if I can tell they're stuck behind a slow car. City traffic would be a breeze if everyone would show basic courtesy, and follow driving rules.

Last edited by WAMz4; 09-09-2012 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

In most states, it's usually standard traffic law that slower moving vehicles must move out of the way of faster moving traffic, due to the traffic hazard it creates as noted by a previous reply.

In most states the far left hand lane, at least in highway usage, is designated as a passing lane, only, so the car shouldn't have been using it as a standard travel lane to begin with.

I reeeally wish we could get an American version of the Autobahn. Most of the speed limits we have today were designed for much less capable vehicles. Granted, we still have some frighteningly inept drivers out there, but those of us that actually know how to drive should't be punished for it, haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Flashing in north America is useless. People don't check their mirrors enough or simply don't know what the reason for the flash is. In Europe however, you get one flash, and then honks and tailgating if you don't move. Everyone moves.....lol
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves. Your never an Asshole for telling someone they're wrong and creating a hazard. If your not going faster than the lane to your right, get into it! I wish I could throw them a copy of the State Drivers manual with the rule highlighted - "Traffic moving at less than the normal speed should always use the right lane". I have no problem with not only flashing my lights but I'll get in front of them after passing and hand signal them to move to the right lane.
So true. The problem is most folks who camp seem to think if they are driving the speed limit it is fast enough for any lane and not "less than normal speed". I saw a cop pull a left lane bandit over once. It was so satisfying. Unfortunately this is rare...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Flashing in north America is useless. People don't check their mirrors enough or simply don't know what the reason for the flash is. In Europe however, you get one flash, and then honks and tailgating if you don't move. Everyone moves.....lol
YUP amen to that lol..

Living in Germany, people are even so courteous (in other EU countries as well) to flash you if they're oncoming and they've just seen a speed trap/cop/hazard/whatever. The driving there is WAY different.

In Germany, having spoken to several different friends, they all say that when you pass your driving test at 18, you party that night. Because it's quite, quite difficult. Oh, and if you learn to drive on an automatic, your licence says so, and you're not legally allowed to drive a manual (!!).

I think the driving age should be 18 all over North America. I got mine when I was 16, and had one stupid speeding ticket (96 in one of those 60 km/h that looks like it should be a 90, seriously, it was out of town). I've had nothing like that since, and get the maximum level discount on my insurance. Most people don't have this, which makes me think there should be mandatory re-testing/stricter testing in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I would say no because the wrong cop might take that as an aggressive action (not to mention the fact that, as stated earlier, i t won't work because the driver is likely A. Oblivious or B. a dick)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I think a flash to pass in the left hand lane is appropriate for slower drivers. They certainly don't ignore the HIDs because it illuminates their interior especially at night.
      09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I usually flash twice if i've been waiting for a minute for the the person to move over. Maybe theres a 50% success rate.

I don't think thats unreasonable at all you are trying to get that person's attention level up.
      09-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

It's officially illegal in Oregon to flash to warn others of your presence. Flash to allow someone to merge ahead of you. Flash to warn of police or road debris. All these are typical courtesies european drivers do daily.

Ironically you can put your left indicator on.

My choice is to back off and pass on the right when appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
I try to avoid flashing my high beams. Usually i flick my headlights on and off once or twice quickly, and that gets the job done. if it doesn't, then i resort to the other options mentioned already....
      09-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Be careful flashing HIDs off and on. The power supply doesn't like it.
I did it once to warn a driver that cut me off shortly after dark with no lights on.
One of my lights didn't come back on until I shut the car off for about 15 minutes.
People who drive slow in the passing lane should be required to attend mandatory remedial driving school.
I try the left turn signal first, and then the high beam flash, then figure they don't even know I'm there and take evasive.

Last edited by StickMon; 09-10-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

stickmon, our lights have a divider that move up to give high beams and then moves back down to cut off that same high beam for low beams. Why would that affect a power supply?
      09-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Yes, they do elevate the importance of safety in awarding a license. For the bike license in Germany, one must get the bike up to 150 kph and then perform a locked-up panic stop while keeping the bike upright.

Had a whole new level of respect when I heard that.
      09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

Used to flash 10 years ago...haven't seen people do it here in TO anymore...people afraid of repercussions?

What I do is just follow them for 1-2 minutes...not tail-gate, but just follow a bit closer than normal. If they don't move then I pass them on the right. Not illegal to do that at all...and knowing them, they ain't gonna move into the right lane anytime soon.

Just forget about it and move on...no need to piss people off on the road as they could piss others off while we zoom off. People are just oblivious.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I hate "Slower traffic keep right signs". Way too subjective. They should all read "Keep right except to pass".

In Germany it's illegal to pass on the right, correct? I believe it's also strictly enforced. Anyway, it would be nice if drivers in the US had the same training they receive in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I hate "Slower traffic keep right signs". Way too subjective. They should all read "Keep right except to pass".

In Germany it's illegal to pass on the right, correct? I believe it's also strictly enforced. Anyway, it would be nice if drivers in the US had the same training they receive in Europe.
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

That "Autobahn" mentality can get you shot down here.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Be careful flashing HIDs off and on. The power supply doesn't like it.
I did it once to warm a driver that cut me off shortly after dark with no lights on.
One of my lights didn't come back on until I shut the car off for about 15 minutes.
Huh. Didnt know that, thanks. Might explain why I nuked an HID Ballast about a year ago.
      09-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
stickmon, our lights have a divider that move up to give high beams and then moves back down to cut off that same high beam for low beams. Why would that affect a power supply?
I said off/on, not high/low.
I was trying (in vain) to get the attention of somebody driving after dark with no lights on, so I flashed off/on, thinking that would be the more appropriate signal. They didn't get it, and I ended up driving with one headlight for the subsequent hour home. Did a forum search and found many others that had the same incident.

Like W.C. Fields said, "never wisen up a chump".

Last edited by StickMon; 09-10-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0