ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: For GB members only - COATING by DKF yes or no?
Yes, I want coating option by DKF 8 38.10%
No, I want them uncoated 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

05-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #749
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
SES Light

I've had the Section 1 installed for some time now.

At the time of install I was running Fabspeed Headers with relocated EGT sensor. O2 sensors were moved to the x pipe.

SES Light came on about 200mi after install.

I subsequently had evolve tune the car (after airbox and cams went in), no CEL, no SES.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #750
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerra View Post
I've had the Section 1 installed for some time now.

At the time of install I was running Fabspeed Headers with relocated EGT sensor. O2 sensors were moved to the x pipe.

SES Light came on about 200mi after install.

I subsequently had evolve tune the car (after airbox and cams went in), no CEL, no SES.

I'm thinking a tune is my next option if the relocation alone doesn't work. Do you know if you could pass the "readiness" test for your O2 sensors with the Evolve tune? I know it keeps the SES/CEL light from coming on, but I need to be able to pass OBD-II smog here in Portland, OR. Anyone else have success? I know several have had issues, which is why I tried the S-Pipe relocation solution in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #751
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
FYI, What I've heard is it doesn't matter how many miles before emissions is "ready", it is based on a drive cycle.

My Code reader tells me if the system is "ready" or not. The easiest way for me to make it ready is to go for a drive staying under 60 mph & under 3000 RPM for 15-30 mins. You can stop at redlights & stop signs just try not to accelerate hard. Nice sunday drive.

See more here:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=185164
The readiness factor in OBDII is only to tell the emissions machine that the PCM (DME for BMW) has performed a test, and passed (meanign no MIL). Those that are getting a check engine light, have you pulled the codes and see what it is? I'm wondering if any of you accidentally swapped the sensors around causing mixed bank readings, didn't set the wire off enough to the side to it touched the exhaust and burned through, OR the code may not be related to the cats, but something you left unplugged, switched over, loose etc.

Please note: in no way am i saying any of you or your mechanics are incompetent. I'm just trying to help everyone resolve their issues, whether it is the product itself, or just a kink in the install itself.

Another note: did anyone actually get 100cell cats?

Currently i have about 200 miles of taking the freeway to work, and city lights home. Not a single issue except when i accidentally swap my primary o2's around... haha. But, that was installer error
This weekend i'm going to try to take a nice 150-200 miles trip out in the country (weather permitting) and see what we end up with.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #752
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
When I did my headers last fall (without relocating O2s), it took aprox 200mi before I had a CEL.
I think it varies quite a bit car to car.
not to thread jack, but I put my CSL's on about a week ago and I got the CEL in about 1 mile lol
      05-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #753
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My local shop modified the S-Pipe to get rid of the leak, which--along with a dirty MAF--accounted for the hesitation. With CEL reset, my fingers are again crossed. Hoping the leak may have contributed to the CEL, but we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #754
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Good luck! I may try that as well. Glad your hesitation is fixed! I've been meaning to clean it, but laziness has pished it back to when i perform a major 30,000 mile service and renew all of my fluids. My o2 did unfortunately come on after about 350 miles. But it included an e.g.t. code... so i have a feeling i have something funny going on with my setup. Currently iut of town, so next weekend i-ll put it in the air and keep everyome updated with what i find.

Side note: if there are spelling amd grammar errors, i'm typing on my phone... haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #755
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Just passed emissions with my modified OEM setup with SS Stepped V2 headers. Going to swap on DKF Section 1 with cats and see if the light stays off.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #756
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just passed emissions with my modified OEM setup with SS Stepped V2 headers. Going to swap on DKF Section 1 with cats and see if the light stays off.
You still have your EGT in the headers? I wonder if that makes a difference? In any case, my CEL came back on after another 180 miles or so since the fix. I'm now looking into tune options. Really need something that turns off rear O2's but still give a "ready" state. Any input welcome.

I should be clear that the headers + s-pipe combo (not sure how much to attribute to each) is fantastic! Along with my 4.10 gears and SS Powerloop exhaust, I feel like this is the way the car was meant to drive. But extra fabrication and tuning costs were not anticipated or appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #757
E92M3Pilot
E86MPilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550XI

Quote:
Nice.. please let us know the result after swap the DKF Section 1 with Cats.
      05-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #758
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
You still have your EGT in the headers? I wonder if that makes a difference? In any case, my CEL came back on after another 180 miles or so since the fix. I'm now looking into tune options. Really need something that turns off rear O2's but still give a "ready" state. Any input welcome.

I should be clear that the headers + s-pipe combo (not sure how much to attribute to each) is fantastic! Along with my 4.10 gears and SS Powerloop exhaust, I feel like this is the way the car was meant to drive. But extra fabrication and tuning costs were not anticipated or appreciated...
Yes EGT is in headers. What code are you getting? I was getting a P0141 after switching back to my modified OEM and it ended up being a bad post cat O2 sensor. I was a little rough with them during removal and they are 7 years old. Swapped in a new one, got car "ready" by driving 30 mins 40-60 mph under 3k RPM and passed. Light is still off.

Post what your code is, might be unrelated or maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #759
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes EGT is in headers. What code are you getting? I was getting a P0141 after switching back to my modified OEM and it ended up being a bad post cat O2 sensor. I was a little rough with them during removal and they are 7 years old. Swapped in a new one, got car "ready" by driving 30 mins 40-60 mph under 3k RPM and passed. Light is still off.

Post what your code is, might be unrelated or maybe not.
I'm only getting one code, P0420, which purportedly relates to catalyst efficiency. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #760
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Yah that is a code for catalyst efficiency. All I can recommend is check for exhaust leaks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #761
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Shop found no leaks. They seem to think the cats in the DKF pipe simply aren't enough to trigger the necessary O2 readings. I don't know...

Has anyone so far had success with euro headers and DKF Section One without a CEL for at least a couple hundred miles? Did we really get 300 cell cats? Anyone think that's not enough?

And if you are getting a CEL, what (if anything) are you doing about it? Any successful workarounds?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #762
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ I just finished installing mine.

Also, I just went through the process of running with headers last fall & CEL.
needed my emissions test, so took headers off & put the OE system back in.
- did my readiness reset and passed emissions with no CEL.
....so I know I have a good baseline system to test with.

If I get a CEL now I will know it's not due to leaks or bad sensors.

I will let you know how it goes.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #763
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Did we really get 300 cell cats?
This was my question. And if we did and they aren't enough it's not what we paid for. I paid for plug and play.

Mine are listed in the for sale section in case anyone else in another state wants to mess with this thing. Otherwise they'll be on my shelf just in case I move out of CA.
      06-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #764
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ I just finished installing mine.

Also, I just went through the process of running with headers last fall & CEL.
needed my emissions test, so took headers off & put the OE system back in.
- did my readiness reset and passed emissions with no CEL.
....so I know I have a good baseline system to test with.

If I get a CEL now I will know it's not due to leaks or bad sensors.

I will let you know how it goes.
Any updates? So far still waiting to hear about any successful installs, but not everyone has chimed in...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #765
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
This was my question. And if we did and they aren't enough it's not what we paid for. I paid for plug and play.
That's what my shop thinks, but they couldn't guarantee that's the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #766
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Any updates? So far still waiting to hear about any successful installs, but not everyone has chimed in...
Haven't done enough mileage yet for a CEL to kick in.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #767
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Updates?

Seems like no one has been able to successfully install theirs cleanly without any issues + log miles without any codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #768
Arrgo1
Not so new member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I've had mine on now for at least 1000 km with no issues whatsoever. Fitup was fine, and from the moment I started it I have had no problems, no CEL's just nice power and great sound. I did the installation of the euro headers and this section one with the standard relocate for the post cat o2 sensors and all was just fine. Just don't know what all the hooha is about. Shame really as these are quite nice units. The whole overblown issue with the RTD bung was unfortunate for both parties, but a very easy issue to rectify. All in all I am very happy with the outcome and sorry to see so many people with problems.

So you can now say at least one person has installed them with no problems, both installation and operation.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #769
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Thanks for the review! It's nice to finally hear something positive! Are you running an aftermarket tune?
      06-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #770
Arrgo1
Not so new member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Thanks for the review! It's nice to finally hear something positive! Are you running an aftermarket tune?
Yes I have the ESS tune. Seems to cope well with both the exhaust changes and the Gruppe M CAI. Just seems to really work. And with the Stomung cans, well the sound is intoxicating.
Appreciate 0