ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Novice Upgrading Exhaust

Hey all--probably a very novice question here.

But like many I want to upgrade the sound of my Z4M, and after watching this vid:

I think the combo of the JVT Headers, SS X Pipe, and the SS race exhaust sounds the best (can be heard at the 8:16 mark).

Any thoughts on that? I love the RPI sound, but do not want to deal with the drone, which I've heard from many is pretty obnoxious.

So the questions are: where do I get these parts? And is there anything else I need besides these three pieces (i.e., the JVT Headers, the SS X Pipe, and the SS race exhaust)?

Is it a straight swap out of parts, or are there other pieces I need to buy as well?

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Isn’t JVT the same as eBay headers? SS is Supersprint so Turner should carry it.
      05-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Slaughterhouse5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M

that's actually a pretty cool video. Sorry I can't help with your question. I can tell you I have stromung and love them but it's just a basic exhaust setup with stock headers. The setup you consider is much more aggressive. will sound awesome to be sure
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

That is Lon's car. It was the loudest car as I recall. I went with Euro headers to get around bi-annual smog check. You need to get new exhaust manifold gaskets and relocate O2 and EGT sensors. US models do not have O2 sensor on section 1. You need to modify your existing section 1. The best approach is get Euro cat and headers.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
That is Lon's car. It was the loudest car as I recall. I went with Euro headers to get around bi-annual smog check. You need to get new exhaust manifold gaskets and relocate O2 and EGT sensors. US models do not have O2 sensor on section 1. You need to modify your existing section 1. The best approach is get Euro cat and headers.
that sounds pretty complicated lol, and possibly not worth it? I don't want to create headaches for myself down the road. Lots of people recommend the Euro headers, but then probably wouldn't get the same sound here? No one's mentioned a Euro cat before.. both of those would still work with the SS X Pipe and exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Video doesn't tell you how loud it really is since most/all the mic input that does the recordings have auto gain adjustments, which means, it will "normalize" everything so everything will have the same loudness (so it doesn't distort). You'll have to listen to it in person to really judge the volume. Like you, I loved how the SS Race sounded on videos, but I pulled it off in less than a week because it was so obnoxiously loud (at least for me). So, if you're unsure, do it in stages. If you're only doing this for sound, then I would start from the back and do the SS Race first. If you're OK with that, then go to the SS X pipe next. But if you're doing this for performance, then start from the front and do headers first. Be warned - Don't mess with headers and/or the secondary cats (S-pipes) if you don't want any issues with passing smog.

Finding that balanced sound is the most difficult mod since you won't know for sure unless you can find another car with the same set up that you can hear in person. Everyone's tolerance is different. I'm on my 3rd set of cans and still not 100% happy and this is just with the cans! I went from stock to SS Race (too loud) to Remus (too tame - just slightly louder than stock) to my current Eisenmann sport (slightly louder than Remus, but still somewhat tame). I may add an X-pipe someday. That's just my experience. Your miles may varies.

Happy modding.
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      05-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordgeist View Post
that sounds pretty complicated lol, and possibly not worth it? I don't want to create headaches for myself down the road. Lots of people recommend the Euro headers, but then probably wouldn't get the same sound here? No one's mentioned a Euro cat before.. both of those would still work with the SS X Pipe and exhaust?
Search this forum for Euro cat. They are on sale here at times. I don't know if it is worth it to you. It depends which direction you want to go with modification. My modification is for naturally aspire S54. I am selling my Stromung because I like to hear my CSL airbox :-)

Last edited by RobMCoupe; 05-12-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #8
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:

I think the combo of the JVT Headers, SS X Pipe, and the SS race exhaust sounds the best (can be heard at the 8:16 mark).

Any thoughts on that? I love the RPI sound, but do not want to deal with the drone, which I've heard from many is pretty obnoxious.
?
I ran SS X-Pipe and SS Race Mufflers for 3 years on stocket headers and section 1 with little or next to no drone, after installing some Status Gruppe Headers it definitely now has some drone. I'm going to be lining the trunk with some sound deadening material similar to Dynamat, one I purchased was B-Quite. I'll be be taking some reading of before and after the install.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Video doesn't tell you how loud it really is since most/all the mic input that does the recordings have auto gain adjustments, which means, it will "normalize" everything so everything will have the same loudness (so it doesn't distort). You'll have to listen to it in person to really judge the volume. Like you, I loved how the SS Race sounded on videos, but I pulled it off in less than a week because it was so obnoxiously loud (at least for me). So, if you're unsure, do it in stages. If you're only doing this for sound, then I would start from the back and do the SS Race first. If you're OK with that, then go to the SS X pipe next. But if you're doing this for performance, then start from the front and do headers first. Be warned - Don't mess with headers and/or the secondary cats (S-pipes) if you don't want any issues with passing smog.

Finding that balanced sound is the most difficult mod since you won't know for sure unless you can find another car with the same set up that you can hear in person. Everyone's tolerance is different. I'm on my 3rd set of cans and still not 100% happy and this is just with the cans! I went from stock to SS Race (too loud) to Remus (too tame - just slightly louder than stock) to my current Eisenmann sport (slightly louder than Remus, but still somewhat tame). I may add an X-pipe someday. That's just my experience. Your miles may varies.

Happy modding.
X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport is perfect. Krissi has this. No drone, not too loud, pops/burbles, excellent. Rogue not Supersprint X-Pipe
Appreciate 3
XMetal1096.50
wdb4673.00
      05-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Yes. Lon's car, and painfully loud. OP, Rob and I were there.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But like many I want to upgrade the sound of my Z4M, and after watching this vid:

So the questions are: where do I get these parts? And is there anything else I need besides these three pieces (i.e., the JVT Headers, the SS X Pipe, and the SS race exhaust)?

Is it a straight swap out of parts, or are there other pieces I need to buy as well?

Thanks for any help!
What do you like about the sound? Stromung cans are very deep lots of bass, Eisenmann a bit less bass, Supersprint a bit higher pitch, RPI the highest. JVT are just cheap e-Bay headers, substitute those for Euro headers. Euro headers Euro cat will work with any set-up past secondary cats. Supersprint cans require it's own x-pipe IIRC and won't mate with stock x-pipe w/o work/adapters.

As already suggested, do one piece at a time. Cans are a basic piece, x-pipe adds more sound (louder too) and pops/burbles, headers even louder but more complicated given O2 relocate etc.

I've run:

RPI
Rogue Diablo
Eisenmann Sport + X-Pipe
Remus
KKS TI + X-Pipe + Headers

Eisennmann combo and KKS combo are IMO best sound and least drone, Stromung a close second. Drone is subjective, nevertheless RPI and Rogue were intolerable.

Rob's Strömung is FS here, it's a great place to start. https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492154
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      05-13-2018, 03:07 AM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Here in SoCal you might not want to mess with the headers, for fear of failing smog.
I have RE Diablo cans and RE catless section 1.
Simple mod, and the sound is incredible.
I was going to finish it off with the RE X-pipe, but decided I would give the neighbors a break.
The sound varies with ambient temp. Not sure why. Probably intake air density.
When it's under 80°F, lots of low end grunt, but fairly sedate.
Over 80°F it sounds like a GTE. Raspen 'n poppin' 'n spitzensparken.
Ear Bacon Season!!

If you want to get more power, you want to go for headers and probably forced induction, but that's a deep rabbit hole.
If you just want to let the sound out, stay cat-back. I can set off car alarms from 50 feet.

Last edited by StickMon; 05-13-2018 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What do you like about the sound? Stromung cans are very deep lots of bass, Eisenmann a bit less bass, Supersprint a bit higher pitch, RPI the highest. JVT are just cheap e-Bay headers, substitute those for Euro headers. Euro headers Euro cat will work with any set-up past secondary cats. Supersprint cans require it's own x-pipe IIRC and won't mate with stock x-pipe w/o work/adapters.

As already suggested, do one piece at a time. Cans are a basic piece, x-pipe adds more sound (louder too) and pops/burbles, headers even louder but more complicated given O2 relocate etc.

I've run:

RPI
Rogue Diablo
Eisenmann Sport + X-Pipe
Remus
KKS TI + X-Pipe + Headers

Eisennmann combo and KKS combo are IMO best sound and least drone, Stromung a close second. Drone is subjective, nevertheless RPI and Rogue were intolerable.

Rob's Strömung is FS here, it's a great place to start. https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492154

I like the throaty roar. I love the sound of the RPI, but ya don't want the drone.

Honestly if I could get it to sound like an F-Type, that's the dream. But I've never heard a Z4M that sounds anything close to that, even though they're both 6 cylinders. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, so I'm sure that's a terrible comparison and wrong for so many reasons. But I love that sound, and want to get as close to that as possible with my Z. It's a powerful engine, it should sound like it...

Most of the exhausts I hear on YouTube sound pretty close to stock, where you hear the engine at the front of the car more than the exhaust at the back.

I guess after all your recommendations I'll leave the headers alone for now, and focus on the back end, one piece at a time. Stromung seems like a good starting point? Supersprint exhaust by itself seems to sound pretty close to stock, at least in the videos I've seen. Anyone know differently?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #14
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport is perfect. Krissi has this. No drone, not too loud, pops/burbles, excellent. Rogue not Supersprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann sounds good, but just ran into this quote from another member:

"I put Eisenmann Race cans on my 06 Z4M roadster with ESS V2500 and no other mods ....decent low tone.....no/insignificant rasp in my opinion.....and I think actually too quiet with no worry for being ticketed. Like it significantly better than stock.....but would not mind some more volume..."

Do you agree that it's too quiet?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #15
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Supersprint exhaust by itself seems to sound pretty close to stock, at least in the videos I've seen. Anyone know differently?
Slapping just the SuperSprint Race cans on will make a world of difference, it's much deeper then stock. I found that stock doesn't sound like much. Check out this video I made with just the mufflers on.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Eisenmann sounds good, but just ran into this quote from another member:

"I put Eisenmann Race cans on my 06 Z4M roadster with ESS V2500 and no other mods ....decent low tone.....no/insignificant rasp in my opinion.....and I think actually too quiet with no worry for being ticketed. Like it significantly better than stock.....but would not mind some more volume..."

Do you agree that it's too quiet?
Needs X-pipe to get the right sound. Cans alone w/exception of Rogue or RPI aren't huge in impact. And both of those drone.

I'm going to be putting a KKS Titanium exhaust up FS soon. Weight is about 5 lbs. With headers, rogue x pipe, it's about the best sounding ever imo.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Finnegan, so I'm confused: you said "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport" is perfect, but you're getting rid of your Eisenmann and replacing it with KKS Titanium exhaust? And keeping the headers (which headers?) and Rogue x pipe?

There's a bewildering array of choices that never seem to produce the same results twice, even on the same car...

Is Eisenmann the better choice for a deeper sound? Or Supersprint?

And Cyclops, I've seen your video before, didn't know it was you. Watched so many YouTube videos at this point lol. It's hard to tell in that video, it sounds deeper, but it also sounds like the camera / mic quality is slightly distorting the sound? Do you have a clip where you're just revving the engine at standstill?

Cause yeah, stock engine just sounds like when I turn my Vitamix on in the morning... I want something with a bit more growl.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

You can search Skyer on YouTube for the clips I made. Powerloop vs Stromong. Those are with headers installed.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Finnegan, so I'm confused: you said "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport" is perfect, but you're getting rid of your Eisenmann and replacing it with KKS Titanium exhaust? And keeping the headers (which headers?) and Rogue x pipe?

There's a bewildering array of choices that never seem to produce the same results twice, even on the same car...

And Cyclops, I've seen your video before, didn't know it was you. Watched so many YouTube videos at this point lol. It's hard to tell in that video, it sounds deeper, but it also sounds like the camera / mic quality is slightly distorting the sound? Do you have a clip where you're just revving the engine at standstill?

Cause yeah, stock engine just sounds like when I turn my Vitamix on in the morning... I want something with a bit more growl.
Finnegan have more than ONE Z4 MCoupe I don't think he's allowed to touch the one with the "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport"
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Videos and audio clips are not a good way to determine exhaust note. As you noted, hardware differences, distance differences, ambient condition differences, etc. all play a role, and it's a fool's errand. Your best bet is to start spending money and do trial and error. A good way to do this is buy used in the classifieds, and you can pretty much make your money back when you sell parts to try something else. You could also try to put a socal exhaust meet together, there are quite a few local z4m's around.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #21
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Hmmm. I just installed Eisenmann Sports and would like a bit more oomph than they provide vs. stock. Sounds like this might be the ticket.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The wife's Z4M has the Eisenmann combo. We have two cars.
Appreciate 1