ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Samsonas Dogbox Kit

I feel my trans could really use an upgrade, never liked it very much. I am about to order a Samsonas shifter over the CAE but wanted to consider my options first.

After the shifter I may consider converting my trans to a dogbox with the Sansonas 6SPD kit HERE

Anyone tried this kit? I think I would be the first on the forum maybe...

VAC have them HERE for around $7K.

Value doesn't seem very good when you can upgrade to a Sansonas full sequential box for about $12K HERE that will handle 1400Nm.

Still this is a super cheap option for a full race sequential dogbox at around half the price compared to a Holinger or Albins 6SPD sequential.

What does everyone think?
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 03-01-2020 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks like this requires some custom fab at the very least.

The 6 speed on the Z4M isn't the same output shaft/spline design as the E46 M3 or the E36. I'm not sure if I recall the technical/mechanical bits perfectly but I took away it wasn't a match. (I dug into this a bit looking at converting the 5 speed box in my Z3M to a 6 speed plus diff change). E46 gearbox, yes, Z4M no.

What don't you like much or want to improve? Motor mounts, transmission mounts, an Autosolutions SSK or CAE shifter does wonders. Gear ratios not to liking? 1st to 2nd grind?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Oh, I didn't know they weren't the same.

I wanted to do the 6SPD conversion kit for clutchless shifting but the price is way too high for me.

I will probably start with a locking shifter if I can get it to fit and then re-evaluate the situation. However, it doesn't seem anyone on here has slipped in a full sequential box from Quaife, Drenth or anyone

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a full race sequential dogbox? The experience is priceless, you will know how bad our ZF box is for shift times. It is very hard to not want one after you have driven with one.

Everyone is so keen on here to drop huge coin for more HP but fails to appreciate the benefits of a race sequential on acceleration times and how much it improves the driving experience.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Oh, I didn't know they weren't the same.

I wanted to do the 6SPD conversion kit for clutchless shifting but the price is way too high for me.

I will probably start with a locking shifter if I can get it to fit and then re-evaluate the situation. However, it doesn't seem anyone on here has slipped in a full sequential box from Quaife, Drenth or anyone

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a full race sequential dogbox? The experience is priceless, you will know how bad our ZF box is for shift times. It is very hard to not want one after you have driven with one.

Everyone is so keen on here to drop huge coin for more HP but fails to appreciate the benefits of a race sequential on acceleration times and how much it improves the driving experience.

Agree on shift times being a huge piece of speed acquisition. The 991 GT3 pulls off great times in part due to the speed of the SPDK transmission. Even "slushbox" transmissions like the 8 speed in my a Challenger shift in hundredths of seconds these days.

I think Intrg8r has or will be putting his CAE shifter up FS soon. That's the best bet w/o changing the transmission.

No, I haven't had the pleasure of trying that kind of box. That plus more power would be interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks like this requires some custom fab at the very least.

The 6 speed on the Z4M isn't the same output shaft/spline design as the E46 M3 or the E36. I'm not sure if I recall the technical/mechanical bits perfectly but I took away it wasn't a match. (I dug into this a bit looking at converting the 5 speed box in my Z3M to a 6 speed plus diff change). E46 gearbox, yes, Z4M no.

What don't you like much or want to improve? Motor mounts, transmission mounts, an Autosolutions SSK or CAE shifter does wonders. Gear ratios not to liking? 1st to 2nd grind?
The input shaft splines and so the clutch on the Z4M are unique. To convert to a 5 speed or any E46M fitment, you simply need to also change the clutch. I'm currently running an S52 flywheel/clutch to mate to my ZF 5 speed for my Z4MC.

A sequential would indeed be wicked on track. I've been thinking about this as well. I wouldn't think you would want one if the car is used on the street.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00