ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Let's talk about Headers

I was browsing other forums online and the consensus regarding Ebay headers is they work great. Is this not the case? I mean in theory, if they use the same design as some of the other more expensive companies, wouldn't the results be the same?

I mean yea the material quality may not be up to the same standards, but what actual difference does that make when routing exhaust gases?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Your mileage may vary but my buddy spent 6-8 hours modifying eBay headers to fit properly on his M coupe. He saved nearly $800 but in no way was it a "bolt-on" experience.

Post tune power gains are identical to the more expensive exhaust brands and the money saved went towards upgrading the engine and tuning the car.

There is a header option for every budget out there, cannot seem to find a comparison thread (like there is for mufflers).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

^that's pretty much it. It is a cheap knockoff, so the problems, as I see them, are as follows:

1.) Fitment is questionable. These are copies - they didn't actually spend time fit testing and refining design.
2.) Quality is questionable. I have plenty of personal experience with cheaper exhaust components cracking.
3.) Power gains are likely not as good. This one is probably not a very big deal - a copy should get most of the power gains.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Just my 2c, but I've learned from past experiences....save up for the quality parts opposed to saving a few bucks in the short term. Some things aren't worth skimping out on, and personally feel headers are in that category
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      05-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I don't get why you even consider eBay knock off headers. The parts you need to replace the header is probably half the cost of the header. I understand you don't want to spend 2k for name brand. Why not go with used Euro header. It is reasonably price and OE quality you can't beat. Replacing header is not an easy job. This is kind of job you do once and do it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #6
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
There are alternatives to Ebay headers.

CPI Stepped Headers

Besides the fitment issues and questions about what's required to make Ebay headers fit (are all the studs strained evenly?), there's the question of material flaking off and being ingested into the engine while it's under vacuum. While rare, I know of two cars that have had header failures lead to engine failures.

I recognize that most probably don't care, but I have an ethical issue with buying a product that pirated someone else's design.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

But I don't own a Z4M. I own a 3.0 M54
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Regardless of motor you have , most people on hereI feel will steer you in the right direction...which would be avoiding knockoff China made cheap duplicates
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I did not buy an Ebay header but a level between them and the "brand" names.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish, particularly the location of the 4 O2 sensor bungs which were perfectly placed.
I have had them on for 4 supercharged years now with zero issues.
Back then you could buy directly from the manufacturer BimmerBrakes but now I believe you buy through dealers.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
There are alternatives to Ebay headers.

CPI Stepped Headers

Besides the fitment issues and questions about what's required to make Ebay headers fit (are all the studs strained evenly?), there's the question of material flaking off and being ingested into the engine while it's under vacuum. While rare, I know of two cars that have had header failures lead to engine failures.

I recognize that most probably don't care, but I have an ethical issue with buying a product that pirated someone else's design.
You beat me to recommending the CPI headers. Fantastic product, zero fitment issues, great usable torque curve, still going strong today. I recommended them to a close friend who had the same identical experience.

Edit: Just realized OP had non-M. Recommendation still stands for M owners who may visit this thread!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0