ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Awesome, that's a huge help. I have a few threads going and I thought I had mentioned it. I have the Hifi System Professional, the one with the upgraded speakers.

From what you've said, I have two solid options:
1. if I can find a DSP with a convenient volume control, I can tap off the signal from the head unit. One question this opens up is that if I use the signal here I bet I can't later add the Intravee II unit? Oh, and to make sure, the signal from the head unit includes when I play the CD? I'm thinking it's possible the in dash CD player output goes straight to the amp.
2. get a DSP that has 8 analog inputs and "un-eq". Sadly the MS-8 isn't for sale anymore, though since it's not I haven't researched it that much.

What bums me out about all these DSP units is that for $250 I can get everything I want in the Pioneer DEH-80PRS but can't find these features in a DSP for less than a $1000. It has auto time alignent, auto EQ tune (automatically adjust for the car's acoustics), it has auto volume adjustment as your car speeds up, and realtime AutoEQ that compensates for sonic changes as you drive (aka, turns up the bass to help with road noise). I've been running this head unit in my Z3 and LOVE IT. You get so much for so little cost.

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-28-2016 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
Awesome, that's a huge help. I have a few threads going and I thought I had mentioned it. I have the Hifi System Professional, the one with the upgraded speakers.

From what you've said, I have two solid options:
1. if I can find a DSP with a convenient volume control, I can tap off the signal from the head unit. One question this opens up is that if I use the signal here I bet I can't later add the Intravee II unit? Oh, and to make sure, the signal from the head unit includes when I play the CD? I'm thinking it's possible the in dash CD player output goes straight to the amp.
2. get a DSP that has 8 analog inputs and "un-eq". Sadly the MS-8 isn't for sale anymore, though since it's not I haven't researched it that much.

What bums me out about all these DSP units is that for $250 I can get everything I want in the Pioneer DEH-80PRS but can't find these features in a DSP for less than a $1000. It has auto time alignent, auto EQ tune (automatically adjust for the car's acoustics), it has auto volume adjustment as your car speeds up, and realtime AutoEQ that compensates for sonic changes as you drive (aka, turns up the bass to help with road noise). I've been running this head unit in my Z3 and LOVE IT. You get so much for so little cost.
Got your PM. I really don't know if you would not be able to use the Intravee. Best bet is to find some pin out diagrams for your head unit. Maybe the CD changer that the Intravee uses does run back to the head unit. I would think its a safe bet that you could still use the in-headunit CD player.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #25
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

EDIT: quick question, did you say the OE front drivers are two ohms each? I thought I read in another thread that they're 10 ohm drivers. I'm talking about the 3 sets of drivers up front.

Man, I keep spending hours and hours on this when it sure looks like I'm trying to do EXACTLY what you've done, at least as far as the DSP.

So, I should just track down an MS-8, use the four stereo channels of output AFTER the amp and hook up my stuff. Months ago I had purchased a whole system to put into my Z3 but then bought the Z4.

Here's what I have:
1. An Alpine V12 MRV-F407 that I'll use all 4 channels to bi-amp the mids and tweets.
2. Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5" mids and tweeters
3. Rockford Fosgate P300-12 powered sub.

I also have high quality speaker, power and interconnect cables as well as a bunch of DynaMat.

After reading your thread again and deciding that the only real option I have for a DSP is the MS-8, it all seems easy now.

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-29-2016 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
elerner61
Major
Rep

Davejb, I just pm'd you my phone number. Call me.

Top Hifi driver info: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675918

Last edited by elerner61; 03-29-2016 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Just bought an MS-8, btw.

One crappy problem is that since our DSP amps change at least three separate sonic parameters (something like Road-EQ, volume increase with speed, and also reduces bass at higher volume) while driving, these DSP's would say to make sure to set them up at one specific volume and leave it there. But on our cars, even IF I wanted to do that there's no number or level anywhere to check. IOW, no number on a display to tell us the volume setting, like 30 out of 40 or something.

I do want to keep the steering volume controls so will at least try to setup the MS-8 using the amp outputs. I was thinking since the DSP, during setup, tells you if the signal input is too high or low I could count the button presses on the steering wheel it takes to get to the right level. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #28
elerner61
Major
Rep

All true. In the end (for me) it's a convertible (open environment) and I'm running a non-stock exhaust so it's rather loud, these are two huge opponents to a good listening experience in an automobile. My goal for the build was to be happy with it in roughly 70% of my musical use cases: it can't always sound great for all music AND from all sources (radio/hu, iPod-Classic, iPhone running Spotify). The MS-8's ability to store 6 EQ curves was a great help in achieving that goal.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #29
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Great. I have had two (not using a true DSP though) time-aligned systems in the past and they were just such a HUGE improvement in imaging and soundstage. Good enough that some music gave me goosebumps at times. I'm sure the MS-8 will blow them away, and me

Last edited by DaveJB; 05-11-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #30
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Good thread........ Now I'm here too. Battled the MS8 in my 2008 Mini Cooper. And read almost all 400+ pages on DIYMA too.
Appreciate 0