ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Cup Holder Removal when Stuck?

Yes, I searched the forum already. Yes, I already have the Ultimate Cupholder... No, I don't like it. Yes, I want to fix the stock one.

As I understand it. One screw is hidden under a cap at the to of the vent.

The second screw I need to withdraw the cupholder to get to... unfortunately the cup holder is stuck IN the dash. How do I get to the screw if it's stuck?

Can the cover be removed without damaging any clips so I can gain access to the screw?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

i just took my cupholder out to fix it so ill tell you what i know. there is a screw under the cap up top and a screw as you said behind where the cup holder retracts from, behind the faceplate. There really is no other way to remove the cupholder other than prying it off, or perhaps if your buying a new cupholder anyhow, you may be able to drill into the faceplate and get the clearance you need for the screw driver to pull out the screw. Just be sure you dont go too far and hit anything past the faceplate. Reference your other side cupholder to find where the screw placement is, and be sure not to damage anything that wont get replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

good advice. especially on checking on passenger side to reference where the screw it. I should've ordered a new faceplate with my cup holder. :/ Back to the dealer for me. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

[QUOTE=ZZZZ;9971824]good advice. especially on checking on passenger side to reference where the screw it. I should've ordered a new faceplate with my cup holder. :/ Back to the dealer for me. Thanks.[/

It may come with it. Im not sure as Ive never had to replace mine. i just removed it and took out the broken innards and then reinstalled.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pretty sure the new part has a new faceplate. It's a pretty big assembly.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Huskerz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z 3.0i

cup holder bottom screw removal

I just repaired my drivers side cup holder (unfortunately).
Carefully remove the cap on the top screw as it has no problem flying out of sight. Very carefully pry the lower right corner of the cover down and out just far enough to get a small positive screw stick in the slot to remove the screw. Pull the top of the air vent back and down a little. You will end up with the entire assembly in your hand. Use your light to look inside and down toward the firewall for the plastic tip and screw that have broken off. Also check to see that the two screw clips are still in place. They tend to fall out if bumped to hard.

I took mine in the shop and used super glue to first put the broken piece back on the end of the tower. After it had dried in place, i used a Dremel tool and small football bit to rough up the tower and surrounding base. Using JB weld epoxy with extra hardener I began to slowly build up the tower and base. It took a couple of days of adding and adding to get it built up as soundly as I liked. I reinstalled it, closed the cover and did the Ultimate cup holder order.

Also I want to tell you THANK YOU for your service. I hope one of these days to meet you and your Z. I'll buy both of you a drink ;-)
Appreciate 0