ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Warranty

I'm considering an extended warranty for my 07 Z4 3.0si to protect me from any major expensive repairs for the motor or transmission. Any recommendations? What have you paid?

It has 69k miles on it now and it's a weekend car that I hope to keep forever.

Thanks in advance.

W
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duped View Post
I'm considering an extended warranty for my 07 Z4 3.0si to protect me from any major expensive repairs for the motor or transmission. Any recommendations? What have you paid?

Thanks in advance.

W
Weekend car means you ll not put many miles...save your money for the repairs if any!!
69k miles are not too many.
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      01-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

W
Weekend car means you ll not put many miles...save your money for the repairs if any!!
Thanks - my concern is I don't have the ability to do my own work and recently had to pay ~$1100 to replace bushings and oil filter housing. I imagine an engine or transmission problem would automatically make up the cost of the warranty.

I was quoted by AA auto protection $2600 for 75k miles so up to 145k miles and 60 months with $100 deductible. I feel like that's a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

W
Thanks - my concern is I don't have the ability to do my own work and recently had to pay ~$1100 to replace bushings and oil filter housing. I imagine an engine or transmission problem would automatically make up the cost of the warranty.

I was quoted by AA auto protection $2600 for 75k miles so up to 145k miles and 60 months with $100 deductible. I feel like that's a good deal.
This doesn't sound bad. If it gives u peace of mind then get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not sure what transmission you have, but the N52 and any BMW manual trans are basically bullet proof. The N52 may lose the water pump/thermostat at some point ($800 at an Indy). You've already did the OFHG (are you sure it was leaking?). Not sure what bushings you replaced, but find an honest Indy and a OFHG shouldn't be more than $250. Long term the N52 may need an oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, but that could be years away for you if ever. Save up some funds for required repairs if any. Extended warranties are a waste of money for the N52 IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      01-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I had the same thought process, but my thinking was flawed, because most warranty companies will do anything they can to avoid paying for the exact kind of thing you and I want the warranty to cover -- big ticket items. I purchased a warranty, and when I tried to get them to cover my VANOS issue, they refused saying "I had supplied my indy mechanic with oil." When I showed them the receipts that it was BMW's latest oil, then the story kept changing. I cancelled the contract, and got most of my money back. These companies win no matter what. If you cancel, they still get some money and an admin fee to cancel. They almost never cover big ticket items and look for ways t deny you. I told the salesman I knew it was a mistake when I bought the warranty, but he assured me it was a legit company. Lesson learned. Knew better. Put the money in the bank or invest it and pay for the repairs yourself, or learn to work on your own car. That's what I did.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 3
Redacre367.50
StickMon636.00
Waoudi23.00
      01-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^WHS
Don't get duped.

I've seen enough stories where engine repairs were denied because "the vehicle has been modified, voiding the warranty".
Where the "modification" was something like aftermarket shocks or wheels.
      01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

If you don't buy the warranty you MIGHT have to shell out a couple thousand dollars for a major repair. If you buy the warranty you will absolutely shell out a couple thousand dollars.
That's the start of it. If you read the actual contract for most of the 3rd party warranty companies, there are tons of exceptions that limit what they pay, when they'll pay, and who they'll pay it to. Most have a clause that they reserve the right to have the repair done at the qualified shop of their choice. They get to choose who's qualified, and of the 5 I looked at a couple years ago, ALL of them had contracts with AAMCO to do the actual repairs. You can take the car to the dealer for diagnosis, but after that they can move the car to their shop for the actual repair. If you refuse they can either refuse to pay, or pay you only what they say it would have cost them at their shop. All 5 that I looked at specifically excluded the vert top and its associated parts and wiring, and the top motor is the most likely item to incur a failure on a Z4R.
      01-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If you don't buy the warranty you MIGHT have to shell out a couple thousand dollars for a major repair. If you buy the warranty you will absolutely shell out a couple thousand dollars.
That's the start of it. If you read the actual contract for most of the 3rd party warranty companies, there are tons of exceptions that limit what they pay, when they'll pay, and who they'll pay it to. Most have a clause that they reserve the right to have the repair done at the qualified shop of their choice. They get to choose who's qualified, and of the 5 I looked at a couple years ago, ALL of them had contracts with AAMCO to do the actual repairs. You can take the car to the dealer for diagnosis, but after that they can move the car to their shop for the actual repair. If you refuse they can either refuse to pay, or pay you only what they say it would have cost them at their shop. All 5 that I looked at specifically excluded the vert top and its associated parts and wiring, and the top motor is the most likely item to incur a failure on a Z4R.
Exactly.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0