ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Zigmund
slirt on The Car Lounge
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si

Narrowed down to 3 : Opinions?

Hello forum,

it's getting to be the time to replace my front tires, and i'm gonna make the switch from RFTs; currently i have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, and the rears will remain awhile longer.

I've read the board here & some online reviews, and have narrowed down to 3 options for my Los Angeles daily driver non-M si Coupe on 18s:

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (is this the comparable non-RFT 050A?) advantage is non-directional asymmetry allows side-to-side "rotation"

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (i think the Sport Z1 Star Specs are too hardcore for me) side-to-side "rotation"?

Yokohama S.drive (the oddball in thew group?)

any opinions would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Maybe I read wrong but I hope you aren't thinking of mixing run flats on the rear with non run flats on the fronts! Bad idea. Replace all 4 tires at the same time with the same brand and model of tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Potenzas

As someone mentioned, definitely change all 4 of them to non-run flats. You'll never regret it.

I would go Potenzas first, S drive second and finally the Direzzas. I was in the same price range when I was shopping for tires and did a whole bunch of research.

1. Potenzas and S drive have really excellent reviews. I chose Potenzas over S Drives over life of tire.

2. I had the Direzzas on the car and wasn't too happy with them. They were noisier than the bunch and have on OK wet traction. Online reviews also don't rate them well.

I'm now running BF Goodrich Comp 2 Sports (also in the same price range) and they're excellent. Quiet, great wet/dry traction. I've had them on for 3 months now so I have to see how tread life is on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigmund View Post
Hello forum,

it's getting to be the time to replace my front tires, and i'm gonna make the switch from RFTs; currently i have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, and the rears will remain awhile longer.

I've read the board here & some online reviews, and have narrowed down to 3 options for my Los Angeles daily driver non-M si Coupe on 18s:

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (is this the comparable non-RFT 050A?) advantage is non-directional asymmetry allows side-to-side "rotation"

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (i think the Sport Z1 Star Specs are too hardcore for me) side-to-side "rotation"?

Yokohama S.drive (the oddball in thew group?)

any opinions would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
Maybe I read wrong but I hope you aren't thinking of mixing run flats on the rear with non run flats on the fronts! Bad idea. Replace all 4 tires at the same time with the same brand and model of tire.
YIKES....
That's a safety hazard & definitely won't work.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0