ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Z4NJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4 2.5

z4 bmw soft top care

Anybody know how to use the bmw soft top care? I read the instruction but it very confused.
thank
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

If you're talking about the water repellant for the roof, I believe you mix half the bottle of the solution with water. It should be on the instructions.

Then sponge it into the roof and let the roof absorb it.

I did this once over the summer, works for light rain, but heavy rain it soaks like usual.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
Mike K.
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 3.0 MT Saphire Blk/Blk,

I can recommend RaggTopp. I've used it for a couple of years now. It's also recommended by Haartz, the providers of the fabric material to BMW for our cars.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
DM1
Captain
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S Paceman

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2005 Renault Megane RS  [0.00]
What about the products from Griots Garage,.. I use them and I'm quite amazed with them and I see they have a product to protect the convertible top, anyone uses this?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Follow my blog at http://dmauto.wordpress.com
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

I'm not going to get into a huge talk about soft top care, but I will give a few pointers.

Number one, DO NOT put your softtop down (in its bay) when it is wet. When it is in there, it is dark, moist and away from the elements. Bacteria LOVE that environment, of which creates a gradual decay of the material.
When I wash my car, unless my top is dirty: I never hit it with the pressure washer or soap brush. It stays perfectly dry, including from water deflecting off and hitting it. Usually I leave the top down while washing it as I never get water on it.
This way you/I can put the top down, or leave it down while never worrying about any rott related issues. If you do get it wet, let it dry completely before putting it into its bay. Yes, even just "moist" fabric can still rott.

Number 2. Scotchgard or the equivelent works great for keeping dirty water from entering the fabric when it does rain in muddy/dirty conditions. It also minimizes the amount of water that the canvas absorbs when it does rain. It POURED rain today and after an hour, when the sun first came out, my top was already bone dry.

If there is any dirt or grease that enters the fabric, then

Number 3, Use a carpet extractor to suck out the dirt, rather then blasting it into the fabric. Any detail studio can do this for you, or you can do it yourself.
Idealistically, keep the fabric clean and dry, and you'll have a great looking top in years to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
DM1
Captain
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S Paceman

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2005 Renault Megane RS  [0.00]
^ Thanks for the tips I really want to take good care of the top, I've never had a convertible and I've only heard stories about how hard it is to maintain, but I guess since I'm extremely careful with cars, I will be able to maintain it for long years. I do want to get a high power vaccum to clear the top and the interior of my cars, then I guess the Scotchgard that you mention would be equivalent to the Griot's garage product.

Follow my blog at http://dmauto.wordpress.com
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I use 303 aerospace protectant once very 5-6 washes.. Great stuff.
      08-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

The nuts on the MINI web site say to becareful if you use a spray protectorant. Mask off the windows, paint from the over spray. They claim it is a bear to get off. Most like to use a wipe/brush on.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Graham M
Canada
Rep

Oh yes, and one more tip. Its best not to drive a soft top car, in the winter, if winter where you live includes freezing and thawing, as well as salt to be put on the roads.

The salt is extremely damaging, thats one HUGE thing, another thing to consider is the freezing and thawing of your wet soft top. When the water freezes, it expands. Keep in mind this water permiates the individual fibers in the soft top. So when it freezes & thaws constantly, it reeks havoc on the material. That is why you can always see the ragged tops that belong to cars that are winter driven.

Its quite important that if you DO plan on winter driving your car, you at least buy a hard top for it, as this "Rotting" and "winter driving" in conjuction to one another will leave you with a soft top that is garbage in no time at all.

Last edited by Graham M; 09-16-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Graham M, May I ask how often you apply the Scotchgard?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
Graham M
Canada
Rep

Once a year is fine. Provided you dont drive it in winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
iamwiz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d / 2012 MCS JCW

RaggTopp is the brand to get. It is the best, Jerry, the best. </seinfeld>

Check out autopia.org if you don't believe me, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
BMW^Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

RaggTopp is the best I tried
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...http://www.freewebs.com/knb921/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

RaggTopp #1 imo
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

it can really ruin the top that bad if it outside frozne, u got me all scared now
      10-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #16
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
it can really ruin the top that bad if it outside frozne, u got me all scared now
I am just wondering the same thing cause i am gonna drive the roadster in da winter is it that bad and does bmw fix really screwed up roof under the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #17
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
I used Raggtop cleaner and protectant for the first treatment. It was OK but went away within four months. Currently have 303 treatment, cleaner and protectant, on and it is holding up well. Seems to make the water bead better in light rain, but a long, strong rain still soaks the top.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Graham M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
I am just wondering the same thing cause i am gonna drive the roadster in da winter is it that bad and does bmw fix really screwed up roof under the warranty?

I'm glad you two are worried, because you should be if you care about the livily hood of your soft top, and yes winter really is that bad for it.

Its just wear and tear, and will likely really start to show in years past when your warrenty is long over, as in years and years of winter driving, not just a couple. So no it wont be covered under warrenty, I can almost assure you, unless you have remarkible BMW dealerships where you guys are, Forget it.
Even if the damage was quite noticable in the last few months of your warrenty, its quite a grey area that I dont think they'll consider. Although you can always chance it and try though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
I'm glad you two are worried, because you should be if you care about the livily hood of your soft top, and yes winter really is that bad for it.

Its just wear and tear, and will likely really start to show in years past when your warrenty is long over, as in years and years of winter driving, not just a couple. So no it wont be covered under warrenty, I can almost assure you, unless you have remarkible BMW dealerships where you guys are, Forget it.
Even if the damage was quite noticable in the last few months of your warrenty, its quite a grey area that I dont think they'll consider. Although you can always chance it and try though.
I do have a 6 year and 160k km extended warranty which would be good but i really doubt stealerships here will fix it if it looks really bad. And do u have any idea of how much it would cost to replace it. (but i probably won't keep the car more than 3 or 4 years)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
Graham M
Canada
Rep

^ Typically from $900-1800 depending on where you go. I'd say $1400 is a good estimate.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #21
Turtleshuffle
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

I just cleaned my top

Here are a couple of pixs of my soft top detail. I used the Meguiars line. Next time I do it I am for sure gonna mask off the rear window, the stuff is like trying to remove motor oil off the glass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #22
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

wow you take really great care of your top! I usually just have a general rule of no automatic car washes and no leaving down the top too long as that makes creases more apparent. I have had to replace my TT top and that was 3k.
Appreciate 0