ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Sidewall Bubble - Ok as Spare?

Front left tire developed sidewall bubble. Having it replaced immediately but the tire is still pretty new, you think it'd be safe to use as for spare/5th? I can pick up a generic cheapo rim on Tire Rack for $100.
      11-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Front left tire developed sidewall bubble. Having it replaced immediately but the tire is still pretty new, you think it'd be safe to use as for spare/5th? I can pick up a generic cheapo rim on Tire Rack for $100.
I've driven for hundreds of miles in my life with tires that had bubbles in the sidewall. A couple times, the bubble was on the inside of the tire so who knows how long it was there before I actually saw it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Yikes - personally I would not risk putting a tire with a damaged sidewall onto my car unless it was the absolute last option (i.e. tire with bubble or leave car stranded overnight). Given it's a spare, that's how it seems you're thinking but my rationale is that's what AAA is for.

In either case, my personal standpoint is that a tire with a damaged sidewall should never be installed onto a vehicle. Granted there are always exceptions but personally, I wouldn't bother hauling that thing around unless I knew I was going on some long stretches through some shady areas.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Yikes - personally I would not risk putting a tire with a damaged sidewall onto my car unless it was the absolute last option (i.e. tire with bubble or leave car stranded overnight). Given it's a spare, that's how it seems you're thinking but my rationale is that's what AAA is for.

In either case, my personal standpoint is that a tire with a damaged sidewall should never be installed onto a vehicle. Granted there are always exceptions but personally, I wouldn't bother hauling that thing around unless I knew I was going on some long stretches through some shady areas.
Yea I ended up scrapping it
      11-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Yea I ended up scrapping it
Right decision! I had some tires on my Dodge Ramcharger that developed some small side wall bubbles. I replaced all 4 tires and gave them to a friend who put them on his flat bed trailer since they fit. All 4 eventually blew out even though they were never heavily loaded.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So this is weird, I swapped over to my winter tires 2 weeks ago and I just noticed this morning another bubble in the same location (front left tire, outside) wtf?

I don't understand what would cause me to get bubbles in same tire? I lowered the car recently but by no means was it slammed. Dinan springs which are only 0.5-0.75" drop and I got the car aligned.

Never had this issue with other cars and alignments.
      11-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
So this is weird, I swapped over to my winter tires 2 weeks ago and I just noticed this morning another bubble in the same location (front left tire, outside) wtf?

I don't understand what would cause me to get bubbles in same tire? I lowered the car recently but by no means was it slammed. Dinan springs which are only 0.5-0.75" drop and I got the car aligned.

Never had this issue with other cars and alignments.
Keep in mind bubbles in tires are due to damage to the internal metal plies of the carcass (google image search 'tire carcass' and lots of fun informational pics show up).

Most often, the metal belts in the sidewall get damage from being pinched, such as hitting a pothole at speed. I suppose stiff suspension could play a minor roll but there's no way your springs are causing it, or even effecting it (IMO). Right now I'd have to ask if you recall hitting any potholes with that wheel or if there are any large bumps in the road (I.e. Raised pavement or metal plates) that you drive over every day.

The other factor that could play a big roll would be tire inflation. I imagine an under inflated tire would be be more prone to pinching the sidewall.

Lastly, if the tire was ever driven on while flat, it's almost guaranteed sidewall damage which will evolve to bubbling.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Oh and forgot to mention, good call on scrapping the first one! Might hurt the wallet but piece of mind in regard to safety > making the most out of your $$.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keep in mind bubbles in tires are due to damage to the internal metal plies of the carcass (google image search 'tire carcass' and lots of fun informational pics show up).

Most often, the metal belts in the sidewall get damage from being pinched, such as hitting a pothole at speed. I suppose stiff suspension could play a minor roll but there's no way your springs are causing it, or even effecting it (IMO). Right now I'd have to ask if you recall hitting any potholes with that wheel or if there are any large bumps in the road (I.e. Raised pavement or metal plates) that you drive over every day.

The other factor that could play a big roll would be tire inflation. I imagine an under inflated tire would be be more prone to pinching the sidewall.

Lastly, if the tire was ever driven on while flat, it's almost guaranteed sidewall damage which will evolve to bubbling.
Thanks, I drive on I-95 everyday to work through NY and CT so it has its shares of imperfections but I'm pretty good about dodging potholes. Don't recall hitting anything harsh. Hopefully I won't see a 3rd bubble in 6 weeks.
      11-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I drive on I-95 everyday to work through NY and CT so it has its shares of imperfections but I'm pretty good about dodging potholes. Don't recall hitting anything harsh. Hopefully I won't see a 3rd bubble in 6 weeks.
Yeah right now my best guess is rotten luck. But you know what they say, third times a charm! Good luck, be sure to double check your tire PSI while cold too (though I'm sure TPMS would have caught that).

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

You are asking for a horrible day when you replace the flat with an old dried out bubble tire. Is it really worth the bad day or possible damage to the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post

You are asking for a horrible day when you replace the flat with an old dried out bubble tire. Is it really worth the bad day or possible damage to the car?
Sean - already decided to scrap the bubble tire. Question is why did I develop a 2nd bubble in 4 weeks =(
      11-30-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Sean - already decided to scrap the bubble tire. Question is why did I develop a 2nd bubble in 4 weeks =(
The only thing I can find is impact related damage as a cause. Not alignment. Bubbles can show weeks to months after the initial damage as the tire weakens. However, same side same spot is highly unlikely and improbable.

I see you said winter tires and not wheels. Could it be the wheel itself is damaged and somehow damaging the tire? Unbalanced, cracked, bent, etc. Somehow stressing one point?

I can't see it being camber or the stretched tire guys would be blowing tires by the truckload. Toe? Unlikely as you'd notice (given driving skill).

That leaves the wheel. Not that I've seen that as a possible cause but it's what's left.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The only thing I can find is impact related damage as a cause. Not alignment. Bubbles can show weeks to months after the initial damage as the tire weakens. However, same side same spot is highly unlikely and improbable.

I see you said winter tires and not wheels. Could it be the wheel itself is damaged and somehow damaging the tire? Unbalanced, cracked, bent, etc. Somehow stressing one point?

I can't see it being camber or the stretched tire guys would be blowing tires by the truckload. Toe? Unlikely as you'd notice (given driving skill).

That leaves the wheel. Not that I've seen that as a possible cause but it's what's left.
Should've clarified, I have separate rims for both summer and winter tires so these bubbles formed on 2 separate rims.
      11-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Should've clarified, I have separate rims for both summer and winter tires so these bubbles formed on 2 separate rims.
The mystery deepens. I guess it's wait and see. :
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump

Just found out I have a bubble now on my front right. That's my 3rd bubble since installing the Dinan springs, all 3 occurring on the front tires. One was non-rft (Michelin PSS), two were Blizzak rft's
      01-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bump

Just found out I have a bubble now on my front right. That's my 3rd bubble since installing the Dinan springs, all 3 occurring on the front tires. One was non-rft (Michelin PSS), two were Blizzak rft's
That change in suspension has to be the culprit. The question is what. Springs alone shouldn't do this, nor should negative camber unless RFTs must be run within a narrow camber range. I don't know, the very stiff sidewall or inner ring (depending on design type) might be over stressed at more aggressive settings? Seems doubtful though. Another thought would be some type of issue from the install. I'd start there since the change points to the possible causes.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bump

All the bubbles have been on the inner sidewall?

It's a really confusing situation. You don't recall any hard jolts or anything else of the like from that corner of the car while driving?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All the bubbles have been on the inner sidewall?

It's a really confusing situation. You don't recall any hard jolts or anything else of the like from that corner of the car while driving?
All outer sidewalls
      01-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Surprised to hear this...... Very strange!
This one has me baffled, but I really don't see how springs could cause this.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That change in suspension has to be the culprit. The question is what. Springs alone shouldn't do this, nor should negative camber unless RFTs must be run within a narrow camber range. I don't know, the very stiff sidewall or inner ring (depending on design type) might be over stressed at more aggressive settings? Seems doubtful though. Another thought would be some type of issue from the install. I'd start there since the change points to the possible causes.
The fact that it happened to both run flat and non-runflat tires, doubt it's any kind of camber specific range requirement. I'm really stumped as to what's causing this. I drive really carefully, not a single curbed rim. Avoid potholes as if they were live mines.

I have to get the car back on the lift but I doubt it's install neither. Suspension was installed & aligned by a NASA "certified" race shop that I've worked with before. The owner is really familiar with this chassis and he's one of the most technical guys I know. Not to mention he's a fantastic driver as he one NASA GTS3 championships.
      01-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The fact that it happened to both run flat and non-runflat tires, doubt it's any kind of camber specific range requirement. I'm really stumped as to what's causing this. I drive really carefully, not a single curbed rim. Avoid potholes as if they were live mines.

I have to get the car back on the lift but I doubt it's install neither. Suspension was installed & aligned by a NASA "certified" race shop that I've worked with before. The owner is really familiar with this chassis and he's one of the most technical guys I know. Not to mention he's a fantastic driver as he one NASA GTS3 championships.
This is a tough one. Install seems unlikely too. Maybe call the shop and see if they have some thoughts?
Appreciate 0