ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
braindamage
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cannot Open Hood - FIXED!

This evening I was going to try to access the locks from headlight access panel in the fender lining as suggested. When I opened the driver side headlight access panel, I notice a cable was just hanging there. Well, that was the hood release cable, out of the plastic box thingy that connects to the other two cables for the release.

Took me less than a minute to put everything back in place, and everything worked.

Thanks for your input guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, yesterday I decided to do a quick oil level check before I head out. When I pull on the lever, nothing happened. All I feel is the spring tension on the lever all the way up, no real resistance. I assume the cable is broken. How do I get the hood open now? Anyone here had this issue before with their E85/86? I found some info on the internet but they are for other models like E36/E46...etc. I couldn't find any information here.

Any feedback would be appreciated before I start the "teardown" of my car.

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by braindamage; 04-28-2016 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

I would first get someone to help out and have them put their ear next to the latch while you pull and see if they hear anything at the latch while you go back and forth. If they do then have them try to pull on the hood while you are pulling the lever. Sometimes lightly hitting the hood in the latch area with the side of a fist will pop it free too.

If nothing is going on at the latch then pull on the lever and see if the cable is still attached at the lever. Sometimes they fall off and you have to grab the cable with pliers and pull to open.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Mine seemed like it was broken when I first bought my car.
I had my wife push down lightly on the hood in the latch area while I pulled the release.
It popped easily with pressure.
There may be too much pressure on the latch from maladjusted hood bumpers/adjusters.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
I had the same issue when I got my car. There are 2 latches in the front left and right side of the hood, in my case the right side cable would side off and come apart from the latch. I can't remember exactly without looking at it again but I was able to open the hood by manually releasing the latch by hand, gaining access through the light bulb door in the fender liner.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_1705
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
braindamage
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I remove the lever and I see the cable is still attach to the spring return unit, and I heard some clicks in the front when I move the lever around but there is no tension other than the return spring. My guess is the cable came off the mechanism at the front. Will try accessing the lock from the headlights door from the lining.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
I had this same problem. Depending on year, you either have 1 latch or 2. My 2004 has 1 behind the drivers side grill. I had the gf push down on the hood while pulling the lever inside the cabin. Only way it opened.

I believe there is too much friction between the metals and it won't pop. After I got it open, I used wd40 and lithium grease on all the contact points and latch mechanism. Opens smoothly now
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I also recommend lubricating all the latches under the hood. Mine was very tight to pull initially. Lubrication made it operate smooth as silk. I am sure a lot of tension could cause the plastic piece to open as yours did.
Appreciate 0