ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

DIY to replace wheel/fender liners?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to replace the wheel/fender liners for front L and front R on an E85?

I have purchased new wheel/fender liners and would like to know how I can go about removing the existing liners, and replacing them with the new ones.

Thanks guys and gals

Last edited by SwissArmy; 02-11-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Fairly simple.
Remove the wheels of course
2-3 screws inside lower front attached to undertray
3-4 screws at the inside edge of the bumper cover
3-4 screws in the upper overhead area to frame
2 screws under the car along side the side skirt
You will need to pull the liner away from behind the fender lip and pull fairly hard downward. Remember to tuck the liner back inside the fender lip before attaching screws upon reassembly
Chances are you will need some body nuts for reattaching the bumper cover screws as they break easily http://www.realoem.com/bmw/photos/07129904150
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Fairly simple.
Remove the wheels of course
2-3 screws inside lower front attached to undertray
3-4 screws at the inside edge of the bumper cover
3-4 screws in the upper overhead area to frame
2 screws under the car along side the side skirt
You will need to pull the liner away from behind the fender lip and pull fairly hard downward. Remember to tuck the liner back inside the fender lip before attaching screws upon reassembly
Chances are you will need some body nuts for reattaching the bumper cover screws as they break easily http://www.realoem.com/bmw/photos/07129904150
You, sir, are a Godsend.

Thank you so much! I will give it a shot once the weather warms up (-20's Celsius coming soon here in Toronto)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
z4mcoupePQ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

On a Z4 M, what is the process for removing the fender liner on the left front with the M brake ducts?

I can't see how the brake duct is disconnected from the fender liner from inside the wheel well. I see the thumb screws on the brake duct baking plate but that same backing plate is attached to the duct. It's a solid unit.

Does the next step require front bumper removal? Please say no.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mcoupePQ View Post
On a Z4 M, what is the process for removing the fender liner on the left front with the M brake ducts?

I can't see how the brake duct is disconnected from the fender liner from inside the wheel well. I see the thumb screws on the brake duct baking plate but that same backing plate is attached to the duct. It's a solid unit.

Does the next step require front bumper removal? Please say no.
Looks to me like all you need to do is turn the 2 plastic half turn buttons to release the duct from the liner. The reinstall may be tricky.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Were it that easy. I thought so too, but the duct goes through from the inside (tire side) of the fender liner.

The two plastic pins on top are a clue. Maybe you pop those loose and the duct pulls out through the liner.
      02-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #7
z4mcoupePQ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Thanks for the photo.

I forgot that ECS sells that part and provides photos. I've been looking at Real OEM when ever I need to see a part. Those visuals are not as good as photos.

I still don't know the best way of getting the liner around the duct but I got the liner out without any damage to either part.

StickMon -- I know the work and write-up happened a while ago but I recently read your thread on the rebuild of your car after the track incident. If anyone knows how this stuff goes together you do. On my car one of the pins was out of the bracket and the other one was in. This might have happened from me moving the liner as I was trying to figure this out. Either way it gave me enough movement in the duct to work the liner out from around the duct.
Appreciate 0