ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Gruppe-M Z4M Intake Install PDF

Anyone that has installed a Gruppe-M intake knows the included instructions leave a bit to be desired. It is a fairly easy installation, and very few tools are needed.

Tools:
Small Flat Head Screwdriver
Large Flat Head Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Torx Security bit (tool included)
Channel Lock Pliers (may not be needed)
Allen wrench (included)
Metric socket set and ratchet is handy but not necessary for attaching nuts to bolts.

Please see the attached PDF. If there are any errors or omissions, please let me know, and I'll add corrections. I hope this is helpful.

Salty
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z4M Gruppe-M Installation.pdf (2.53 MB, 1843 views)
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 02-04-2016 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Thanks for the detailed DIY - looks great, but I bet it even sounds better
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
MotoM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

I ordered my gruppe M intake so can't wait to install it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoM View Post
I ordered my gruppe M intake so can't wait to install it.
Cool!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
MotoM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well installed the gruppe M intake and I'm really happy with the sound and performance. Great instructions salty. One question on the filter. Is it pre-oiled from k&n and what are the maintenance procedures n re-oiling times?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoM View Post
Well installed the gruppe M intake and I'm really happy with the sound and performance. Great instructions salty. One question on the filter. Is it pre-oiled from k&n and what are the maintenance procedures n re-oiling times?
Glad you found them useful. The included instructions are better for a chuckle than for instruction. :-) My filter was pre-oiled. Very slightly pink. If yours was pink, you are good to go.

Man, that sound is awesome, isn't it! Love it! Prepare for your gas mileage to suffer...not from the intake, but from more aggressive driving to induce the intake.

Maintenance cycle depends on the environment, I think. K&N sells a kit to clean the filter and re-oil. They say around 50K miles and even up to 100K miles, but that's too much for me. Heck, I rinsed off my car this afternoon and before I could pull it into the garage, it was covered in pollen again. I plan to clean and re-oil mine about every 30K miles. I'm going to take a peak at mine sooner to see how it looks. It's not a huge filter.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I've had K&N filters for decades.
They sell a "recharge" kit with a small bottle of cleaner, a spray can of oil, and instructions.
You'll run out of cleaner way before you run out of oil and/or the sprayer on the little cleaner bottle will break.
Luckily, they also sell the cleaner as a general purpose spray in a 32 oz. trigger spray bottle for less than 10 bucks.
      03-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I've had K&N filters for decades.
Stickmon, about how often did you clean yours?

Salty
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Ha! When I get around to it. Not nearly as often as I should.
I would guess maybe every 20k-30k.
I've had a couple of Blackstone reports come back with elevated silicon.
Like you said, it depends on environment.
I drive through the Mojave pretty often and occasionally get hit by dust devils.
      03-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
MotoM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea I gotta say I wasn't expecting that growl just from an intake. I brought it just for the carbon fiber look. Now every stop sign n light I have to gun it to make sure I hear it. 700$ well spent. Ahh what's next
Appreciate 0