ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Do You Regularly Inspect Brake Lines?

I'll admit when it comes to self-tech, I only check the major items and overlook some of the small ones. I just *assume* they are fine but I realized I should probably pay more attention to my brake lines. I'm running Stoptech SS lines and they've been on the car for about 4 years now but I wonder if they're overdue for a replacement.

One site I frequent (shock, a site outside of Bimmerpost) is Rob Robinette's website. He has tons of great info, anywhere from converting degrees to inches for alignment, different modifications (I modeled my latest brake cooling after his method) as well as tips on how to get around Summit Point quickly. But for the first time I noticed his analysis of a fatal accident that took place few years back at Summit. I had heard about the incident b/c NASA Mid-atlantic always runs their last event in memory of the driver, Cale Kastanek. But Rob's analysis shows that the likely reason behind Cale's accident was brake failure from a broken brake line. After years of tracking the car, the original lines had failed and it made me wonder maybe I should replace my lines again.

http://robrobinette.com/cale_accident_report.htm

Are SS lines that much more durable than oem rubber? And anyone have a good sense for how often one should replace these lines? I guess these really should be considered wear n tear items and if you factor in heat from tracking, their useful lives are probably even shorter than one would think.
      07-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I don't have any info related to lines, but for what they cost & what they do, sounds like a good idea to me.

....wasnt it a brake line failure from the guy in Auz that ran through an open gate at the end of a straight that saved his azz.
there was a vid posted on it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

A stainless steel brake line is considerably more durable than a rubber brake line, and should provide a firmer pedal as well.

All brake lines, regardless of composition, should be included in regular inspections and checked for fluid leaks, deterioration (bulging/cracks) or mechanical damage. I don't believe that 4 year old stainless steel brake lines from a respected supplier, especially on a car that is not dedicated to competition use, should be at risk of needing replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Just for clarity, "brake lines" are generally referred to as the small diameter hard metal piping on the chassis/frame, where "brake hoses" are generally referred to as the flexible rubber hoses connecting the brake lines to the calipers.

Stainless steel brake hoses are more durable, abrasion resistant and offer firmer brake feel due to less expanding while under pressure. Unfortunately with the stainless steel covered rubber brake hose, you can't see how deteriorated the rubber is under the stainless outer sleeve.

With that being said, I would not want to track a car with brake hoses more than 10 years old, or ones that look marginal. They aren't very expensive, so change them when the start to show their age.

Last edited by pungo; 07-17-2014 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo
Just for clarity, "brake lines" are generally referred to as the small diameter hard metal piping on the chassis/frame, where "brake hoses" are generally referred to as the flexible rubber hoses connecting the brake lines to the calipers.

Stainless steel brake hoses are more durable, abrasion resistant and offer firmer brake feel due to less expanding while under pressure. Unfortunately with the stainless steel covered rubber brake hose, you can't see how deteriorated the rubber is under the stainless outer sleeve.

With that being said, I would not want to track a car with brake hoses more than 10 years old, or ones that look marginal. They aren't very expensive, so change them when the start to show their age.
This. Lots of this!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
papak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

"Stainless steel" brake hoses are, in fact, Teflon hoses with a stainless steel mesh hose over them. They offer very minimal expansion and are inherently more durable (resistant to chemical breakdown) and heat resistant. They will retain a firmer pedal feel over time. Having restored a few vintage race cars, I can attest to the fact that the steel hard lines and slave cylinder bores are more likely to suffer from corrosion over the years than any problem you will see in the SS hoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

I check mine now all the time due a previous discovery. A couple years ago I was changing my brake pads preping for the track and I did my usual once over of everything in in view in the wheel well with a very powerful light. I come to find out that on of my tires on the passenger rear side was contacting the brake line and had worn away a portion of it. I am so thankful i found that before hitting the track the following day.

I should mention that everything on my cars brake system at the time was totally stock minus the pads but i think one of my many sets of wheels/tires (most likely my 275 R888s) was just wide enough to graze the brake line.

All brake lines are now part of pre-track inspection.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0