ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
Z4_marin
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

sorry BigLeo, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. It sounds like the jgormans first bike (I could be wrong here); yes the Sportster can be seen as a chic's bike BUT the Iron 883 it would make a GREAT city bike.

jgorman - buy the Iron 883, don't be a chromosexual and takes those freaking chrome pipes off ASAP. Don't let any one tell you that is a chic's bike. I once ordered a hot chocolate in front of some friends, one of which was a Navy Seal. They all laughed except the seal who said, "That's a man's drink.... a man can drink whatever the Fu$k he wants." Luckily, the same holds true for bikes. It doesn't really matter what you drive, just that your on one. (especially in the fu$king city)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Yeah, the 883 is grossly under powered but throw a 1200 kit on it and it is a great little bike for what it is. All Harleys are chick bikes...best reason to get one! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Aside from the chick bike thing, where will you be driving it?

I have owned many bikes over the years, including a Harley. If t's mostly city driving, around traffic, I would pass on the whole bike thing. As a motorcycle driver, you have to almost be paranoid driving in traffic (we know how many idiots and elderly drivers are out there). In heavy traffic it's difficult (and certainly not enjoyable) to keep track of what everyone is doing around you. So you're "exposure" is much higher and so is the risk. Heard the old saying "you may be dead right, but your still dead".

I now live in a small city and drive mostly country roads. Last year I was driving down the main drag and I say an older guy (late 50s) on an old but very nice early 80s KZ1000. I thought to myself "Maybe I should get another bike, it's safe if you know what your doing and he looks like an experienced guy". One intersection later he drove right in the back of the truck ahead of him, dropped the bike and then made the rest of the trip in an ambulance. I got a Z4MC.

BigLeo
      03-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #26
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I've heard Sportster's been referred to as Skirtster's several times.... Don't do it !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #27
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

Wow, so much criticism around here.

1. It is my first bike.
2. Cost of ownership is very low.
3. The Sportster is not the 1-series or chick bike of H-D. I've driven many different types of harleys and to be honest, at 5'-8", the larger ones do not feel right and also, are not as nimble. The 883cc displacement is still larger than every other japanese cruiser in its size class. I like the styling of it, and it is an educated decision on my part to get this bike.
4. "jgorman - buy the Iron 883, don't be a chromosexual and takes those freaking chrome pipes off ASAP" - Z4marin. I could not agree with you more.
I've decided to go with the Iron. Upon delivery, I'm going to be purchasing the vance&hines matte black custom exhaust to match the rest of the bike.
5. I did look back into the sport bike category one last time, and to be honest, in NYC, as a driver under 25, the insurance along with a balloon interest rate was not feasible.

Thanks for all your opinions, good and bad
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #28
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You WANT to get an underpowered bike as your first one, trust me. Don't listen to any of these asshats.

I see a harley and I could care less what it is, it is a Harley and a motorcycle. I see someone riding a Ninja 250 (way underpowered sport bike) and I think, I could take him... sure... but also it is another riding enthusiast.... as long as you aren't riding a moped you are a-ok.

p.s. Matte Black pipes will look wicked on that!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep

best pic i could get, but on a different bike. those are the exact pipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Just make sure you have a BRIGHT riding jacket or don't ride at night! I have all black gear but with some reflective stripping, and some white on my helmet as well. :tup:
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #31
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I was just givin' ya crap....

Personally I like sport bikes more than Harley's, but that's me. If I HAD to get a Harley tho, it would have to be Rat Rod style... I love that stuff.

That said, as far as your choice...with your options, I'm with you 110%.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I'm a sportbike guy myself. Here's mine:

I have added a few more mods since this pic was taken, but IMHO the R1 is one of the best bikes you can buy for the $$.
Attached Images

03-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #33
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

You may want to visit a HD dealer and sit on each if you haven't already. The 883 Low looks like more of an upright riding position while the 883 Iron looks like you'd be a little more hunched over, cafe racer style. Personally I like the looks of the Iron and for city driving (stop and go where you can sit up and stretch) a more stretched out riding position would be fine. But for longer rides it looks like it could be uncomfortable. Then again, they may have the same handlebar/rake and be equal. It's tough to tell from the pics.

And F' the naysayers, ride what you want and be happy. Hell, I drive a green BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #34
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
You may want to visit a HD dealer and sit on each if you haven't already. The 883 Low looks like more of an upright riding position while the 883 Iron looks like you'd be a little more hunched over, cafe racer style. Personally I like the looks of the Iron and for city driving (stop and go where you can sit up and stretch) a more stretched out riding position would be fine. But for longer rides it looks like it could be uncomfortable. Then again, they may have the same handlebar/rake and be equal. It's tough to tell from the pics.

And F' the naysayers, ride what you want and be happy. Hell, I drive a green BMW.
Haha yes. You're exactly right. one of the reasons i chose the iron is because of the sporty riding stance.

btw, nice yamaha R1. yamahas are easily my favorite sport bikes.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #35
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorman13 View Post
Haha yes. You're exactly right. one of the reasons i chose the iron is because of the sporty riding stance.

btw, nice yamaha R1. yamahas are easily my favorite sport bikes.
Well as long as we are posting pics... here is my baby. I really need the turn signal and license plate deletes for this season...

Appreciate 0