ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
silverblade
Rep
Drives:

Don't Buy BMW

My advice to everyone here is don't buy BMW!! Owned 3 already all major headaches.. My Z4 is the latest addition to the story...

My car info:

2003 Z4 2.5i
Warranty Expired Jan. 29th 2007

Problems?
"Software Clitch" was adviced by local service manager

Why?
"Somtimes happens, it software" also advice by the local service manager

Effect?
Almost crash into the wall on the freeway because car stop responding and everything shutdown, lucky I was able to restart the car by putting it in neutral, while the car was still rolling and out of control.
Occassional problems while starting the car, idle will flux and car will not respond to control.

Why didn't I bring it in right away?
I did but they told me I needed an appointment, said they only have spots open a week from that day which is the 8th of Feb. 2007.

Why didn't I fix it?
Well BMW wanted estimate at 2,000 usd to reload the software.

Wasn't it under warranty?
Technically yes but the local BMW dealership told me today is the 8th of Feb. and my warranty expired on Jan. 29th, which is about 9 days pass. All they have to do is check the log and know that is happened before the warranty expired and they should fix it.

What local BMW dealership said...
"BMW doesn't warranty their car forever no one does, since this is a software problem, doesn't fall into any category under the service agreement anyways."

What BMW said..
"Contact your local service manager"

Status..
Today is Feb. 28th, 2007 and my car is still sitting in the dealership trying to fix my gas tank sensor problem. As regard to the software problem, no progress.

What did I learn from this?

Never bought a BMW again!! This is the 3rd BMW I have already, the first one was cool, a 1995 328i drove it until I traded it for the second one, the second 2000 528i had some problems, mainly sensor problems, spent almost 5,000 usd to get the problems fix but mileage is pretty high almost 100k. This one, 2003 Z4 only 20k miles, a "software problem" that BMW refusing to fix and almost cost me my life.

Quite frankly not sure what other cars to buy, never owned a Mercedes or a Lexus... Any suggestions on what I can get? Anything but BMW, willing to get a Toyota then buy another BMW.

Be warned guyz!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

haha ive owned many BMWS never had a problem and im sure your posting on the wrong board, i dont think your gonna convience nebody not to buy bmw on here they mosly already own them and are in llove with them and thats why thier on these boards...but good luck with all your problems...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
dhmilosr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Let me add to that diatribe, that you should never buy Fords, since I had to have 6 of the ignition coils replaced, not to mention the front ball joints, etc. That goes double for the whole Chrysler line, I had to have 3 of the 4 electric window motors replaced, the automatic transmission, and the air conditioning compressor. And don't get me started on GM products!!! My Chevy Nova was just short of a lemon, no wait, that was really a Toyota Corolla in American clothing.

Sorry Bro, I love my BMW. Its a passion thats hard to describe. If my baby ends up having some problems, that's just they way it goes with cars. Each car is made up of a series of components, some of which fail earlier than others.

And to tell the truth, while my Expedition has had a few glitches, it's an excellent truck, and my Dodge Intrepid, with 155k miles on it, is still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Never had a problem with German cars.....Built to perfection.... Now American cars???? hahahahaha Only american car i have and love is my C6 and but its not even close to stock. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
silverblade
Rep
Drives:

I am not trying to convince people not to buy BMW, just as a warning. Until this happens to you and yes it's American BMW. All I've owned are BMWs, if it wasn't for this dumb software problem, I would think like this... Unfortunately, I have to get an attorney into this matter and will be filing a lawsuit against BMW. First car I bought right out of college is a BMW and 3 cars later still a BMW but sad to say my last. My dad and my brothers all own Mercedes and they never had a problem, even with the new models. Guess I can say goodbye to BMWs and hello Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #6
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

You should go ahead and buy a Chrysler then. I would definitely buy a BMW before any Mercedes. You should get a Lexus instead.
      03-01-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
BavDom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The solution for you is simple, don't buy BMW, lease it. Your warranty will never expire while you have the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I agree with the dude who hates Ford, I've never met a ford car that I liked. As for BMWs...I got a 1988 320i a few years ago, and aside from it being an old POS, it was still a great car. My M Coupe is in my opinion the best 50 grand can buy. As for your warranty...why didn't you get the extended warranty when you had the chance???
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblade View Post
My advice to everyone here is don't buy BMW!! Owned 3 already all major headaches.. ............Almost crash into the wall on the freeway because car stop responding and everything shutdown, ............................Quite frankly not sure what other cars to buy, never owned a Mercedes or a Lexus...

I remember one of our E90 HK members had experienced similar incident that the car suddenly shutdown itself when he was already about to start to cross a junction after the traffic light turned green. It is hard to prove this is a BMW specific problem, we only hear more BMW related problems because we are in a BMW forum. The 2006 JD Powers car reliablility survey has showed that Mercedes made a significant improvement in proactively fixing problems in advance, in a more preventive way. I recall the E-class reliability was climbing up something like 16 places on the chart comparing the poor E-class statistics in 2005. I owned a 2001 E-class E320 W210, there were some known problems of that generation of E-class needed fixing and got fixed once for all under warranty. I now have a 2004 C55 AMG, now already 36000km, there were one hardware problem (the starter). My two Benz had never had brakes, software, transmission, engine problems which could cause the cars to breakdown. However, neither my 1992 E36 and 2006 E90 (15500km now) had any shutdowns or breakdown problems. I would not pick a Lexus, I like Merc and BMW because these they have souls. The handling design of Merc is more "forgiving" which is "safer" for less skills drivers to drive. You might like to check out the 2007 new C-class too.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
I have an AMG which has been flawless for 6 years now. My friend with an identical car had many troubles. Luck plays a part I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

how did you break it in? jkjkjk just stirring the pot, lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
wwarmfie
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black/Beige 328i

Haha...yeah wrong place to post but oh well. Our family is on their 19th BMW. THe latest being a flawless E90 328i. We've never had problems with ours, and i will continue to buy BMW for the rest of my life. Hope your problems are resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
silverblade
Rep
Drives:

Well after my legal counsel have contacted the local dealership, seems they were at fault, the extended warranty had paid for all repairs but they wanted more money. Not sure why but the totalled amount was paid by the warranty company but Stevens Creek BMW wanted to charge me more, for what they are not very clear. So lesson learn, if you live in the South Bay in Northern California, don't go to Stevens Creek BMW!!!! From 1800 they lower it to 600, which includes troubleshooting fees and deductable, how much of what, they are not being clear. Anyways after much debate with the dealership, I went out and bought a 2007 SLK 55, guess my BMW will go on sale this summer. MY BMW is still being held hostage at Stevens Creek BMW until this matter is resolve. Guess you can't get away from bad eggs no matter what you do or buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
silverblade
Rep
Drives:

By the way, I hardly drove the car, mainly a summer or nice day driving car. I have a 2000 528i I use for daily commute, but I am thinking of trading it for an Audi, just don't want to deal with Stevens Creek BMW any longer, unfortunately they are the only local dealership beside the other one but they didn't seem to want to service me cause I don't look rich to them, which I am not..

2003 Z4 2.5i a little over 20,000 miles
2000 528i about 110,000 miles
All upgraded to 19" staggered BBS rims (Love the BBS look)

As for the software problem, seems there were a recall BMW did for this model. Under a certain weather condition, the software will malfunction in either in neutral or a start-up. Cause by some type of starter, will require replacement and reprogramming. After presenting this fact, Stevens Creek BMW at first deny this recall then later said they didn't know about it. And now they will replace the part and reprogram the computer but there will be a $100 usd deductable. You guys now see the problem???
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
silverblade
Rep
Drives:

After this nightmare, I've decided to write a guide for those who's on extended warranty. It can save you $$ and a lot of headaches... Some might find this usefull while others might disregard, all depend on the individual.

1) Find out what you are covered and how much of it from your extended warranty company, just call them doesn't hurt to ask. (Example; Rental, labor, parts, etc) *Note most will cover all parts, a labor cap (normally 100 usd max) and rentals, either a percentange or only a certain number of days.
2) Call around and find out how much dealerships and service centers charges and deal with them. Tell them you find a center that charges (amount covered under extended warranty) but prefer their location because it's more of a convenient location for you. You'll be surprise they are willing to negotiate to earn your business.
3) Check if your model have any recall pending, just google search your model plus the "recall" keyword. You'll be surprise what you find.
4) Bring your car in and have them check for recalls pending and make sure everything is covered and unload your findings, this will asure they won't try to scam you, yes even dealership will try to scam you.... Go over with them what will be covered with the extended warranty, this only shows them you did your homework and your awareness.
5) After the repairs are made, and you get that call from the dealership to pickup your car, check from the warranty company what was paid and what work was done and the hours involved.
6) When picking up your car, compare what the extended company tells you and what the dealership did, at this point you might see some differences, depends on of that dealership is honest or not. (In my case not honest at all..) Don't be afraid to go over the charges with the dealership, this only shows them you are smart and don't try to F**k with you!!!
7) Walk away happy that you save yourself some money, the extra money saved can go toward a supercharger !!!

Hope this helps!! I know some of the members got loads of $$ but you should know, you don't get big $$ spending your hard earned $$ on getting trick to pay all sort of prices for stuff..

Ohh and also if you are in the South Bay of Nothern California, don't go to Stevens Creek BMW, they steal stuff there (Some CDs, a pair of sunglass, and some changes are missing), even attempt to steal some money from you through repairs..
Don't be afraid to do a Q&A, it will help out in the long run!

Last edited by silverblade; 03-02-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've had;

E46 330ci - Problems with subframe and chassis denied warranty, engine later blew up

04 Mini Cooper S 6speed - few creaks and rattles, modded to hell and ran well

05 Mini Cooper S Auto (My girls) - Major problems with rattles, faulty auto trans replaced and still had problems at 13,000 Miles, Finally traded car in

06 E90 330i 6 speed - Problems started at 20,000 Miles. Sunroof malfunctions, windows went down by them selves at night. Finally at 25,000 Miles all electronics went completely haywire. Car was replaced by BMW to my current ...

2006 Z4 M Coupe - Hmm plenty of rattles started at 5,000 miles. Still not fixed till today. Xenons do not level correctly 50% of the time the right xenon does not come on unless i flick it a coupe times (Ignighter replaced and still have the problem) Going to the dealer ship to get in head lights installed next week. Cold start issues. Sometimes the car decides to rev by it self and drop RPMS to like 400. Radio sometimes does not function correctly. Check engine light came on already for no reason and car ran like shit. Turned the car on and off and the problem was gone. Most of all its the rattles that piss me off. Car drives great tho and is very fun to drive.

2006 E90 325i - Bought this for my girl after trading in the MINI Cooper S, she drove it for 2 months 3,000 miles and the engine blew a hole in itself. Was at the dealer for another 2 months getting a new motor put in it. Received the car with a leaking head gasket, slugish, tranny was F'ed up, car was not responsive steering loose and it felt like a 1988 honda thats been hit a few times. BMW did substitution of collateral to a new 328i since 325i was discountinued.

2007 E90 328i - 4,500 Miles so far so good and I hope it stays this way.

2006 E90 330Xi - Moms car bought same time I got my 330i (Twins ) ahah.. lots of rattles, loose steering, crazy navi. and thats about it.

So far I have had a nightmare of a BMW experience but i keep going back hoping they will not let me down the next time... and they keep letting me down..

Think my next cars will be Porsche...
      03-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Damn dude. How many cars do you need?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Damn dude. How many cars do you need?
i get bored every couple of months
      03-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #19
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

so, do you have DSC on or off when you do your 2nd gear launching?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
so, do you have DSC on or off when you do your 2nd gear launching?
off
      03-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

nice...I'll give it a shot later...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #22
Artz 330
Colonel