ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Question Strange handling after new rear tires?

Replaced my rear Bridgestone RE-11s with a fresh pair and my car feels super "boaty" when performing short aggressive inputs (like a fast lane change). Feels like the rear takes a full 1-second to catch up with the front.

I won't rule out that it could just be in my head; I've been performing these maneuvers just to test the new tires But I don't recall it ever feeling like this. Or maybe I've had a suspension problem for a long time and I never noticed til now? What does the peanut gallery say?
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Do your front and rear tires match? Are the rears oriented correctly?

When I replaced all four tires with RE-71R's, the extra grip highlighted some of the weaknesses in the suspension.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Replaced my rear Bridgestone RE-11s with a fresh pair and my car feels super "boaty" when performing short aggressive inputs (like a fast lane change). Feels like the rear takes a full 1-second to catch up with the front.

I won't rule out that it could just be in my head; I've been performing these maneuvers just to test the new tires But I don't recall it ever feeling like this. Or maybe I've had a suspension problem for a long time and I never noticed til now? What does the peanut gallery say?
After years in the tire industry, as already mentioned:
Are your tires matched and mounted correctly?
This is so common it's crazy.

Sometimes it's simply the "crown" of the new tire and after a couple hundred miles there are no issues.

If the tires are in fact matched and mounted correctly, then I can suggest an easy way to break in the crown of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Yes all four are RE-11; I replaced with same thing I had before. The fronts are 2-1/2 years old and wear much slower than the rears. Mounted correctly; checked for the "outside" label on sidewall.

I got a chance to power through some sweeping corners today. The cornering feels good through the apex but again, there is an unsettling shimmy when I straighten out. The lateral grip does seem improved over the old tires. I guess the best way to describe it is that the rear wants to remain in its current direction instead of going where the front wants to go. Then the rear is like "ok, if you insist".
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete

Last edited by RADRACR; 10-25-2016 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Did you reset your tire pressure monitoring system? New tires are coated, as the manufacturer does not know when the tires will be sold. Get out and put 100 miles on the tires on a freeway ( not in town driving ) and let the tires heat up and cool down. Heat cycling.
      10-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

I had the same thing happen when I swapped the tires out from what was on the car at time of purchase being an all season Kuhmo Ecstasy tire versus the new Michelin pss which I wanted. At first the handling was so different and felt slow. Then when I got a couple of hundred miles on them and the releasing agent burned off the Michelin's were impressive. We'll see in a couple of days when I have some apex arc-8 wheels in satin black fitted with continental extreme contact dw tires from tire rack thrown on. I'm sure it will be the same process over again of releasing agent burn-off and initial slippery handling. Nothing to worry about though. Congrats on the shoes for your ride!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
polar
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4MC07

Last time I changed the rears the tire guy put in 3+ bar and the zed floated around like a drunk hippo.
...so check the pressure.

18" Arc-8 - Michelin Cup2 - KW V3 - GC camberplates - RE trans mounts - VT engine mounts - Vorshlag RTAB shims - RPi - stubby - CDV del
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

How old were the old rear tires? Were they worn down to or past the wear bars?

An easy explanation is, worn off tire tread has less "tread squirm." As in the tread block is so much shorter that they don't flex as much. New tires have taller tread thus on short, quick change of direction it takes a little bit longer for the tire tread to respond.

Hence a lot of racers and DE "champions" shave r-comps, because treaded race tires on full tread tend to exhibit that squirmy feel when new. BEST grip on typical greased tires come after 1-2 heat cycle and tread shaved away.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^WHS First thing I thought of.
I run my tires to near bald. The balder they get, the better they feel, as long as I don't hit a puddle.
When I put a new set on I can definitely feel the tread squish around.
      10-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Lots of good advice already.
One more thing to check are your RTABs
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Hi Rad,

I have the little brother of the group, but I had the same issue last time I changed just the rears after a stupid nail. Car felt very floaty/unstable/terrifying on corners.
I tried everything- what fixed it for me was replacing the fronts with new ones as well.

I have a feeling the older fronts have less grip, which causes some kind of imbalance with the new grippier tires in the rear (and vice versa I'd imagine).

Which is the reason why I'm about to spend another grand replacing all 4 again, thanks to the stupid nail in the sidewall I received yesterday

gc
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #12
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Yes all four are RE-11; I replaced with same thing I had before. The fronts are 2-1/2 years old and wear much slower than the rears. Mounted correctly; checked for the "outside" label on sidewall.

I got a chance to power through some sweeping corners today. The cornering feels good through the apex but again, there is an unsettling shimmy when I straighten out. The lateral grip does seem improved over the old tires. I guess the best way to describe it is that the rear wants to remain in its current direction instead of going where the front wants to go. Then the rear is like "ok, if you insist".
I had exactly this issue after changing out my rears only on my 06 3.0Si. Sweeping corners were the worst - unsettling. After checking everything (alignment, balance, pressures,), I replaced the fronts and presto - like new again.

My hypothesis is that the short wheelbase has an impact.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
aarofloyd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0 si (N52)

Garage List
I know this is a super old thread, but experiencing this for the first time on my car after getting her some new rubber. My question is...(if any of you are still on the forum 13 years later)...do you think its ok to drive the car like this? Is the rear end actually loose or is that just a false sensation I'm feeling? 2 brand new Continentals on the rear, and 2 existing Toyos on the front with plenty of tread left....dont really care to spend an extra $600 if its safe and I can just learn to live with it. I mean, who doesn't want to continually step the back out anyway?!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Mixing Toyos and Conti's? Yikes. I tried a similar stunt on my ZHP coupe a few years ago, mixing a pair of Pilot Sports with Conti's, and the handling was SO bad, it felt dangerous. Within 2 weeks I swapped the other pair so that the tires were identical all the way around, and all was well again. It was so bad that I was almost positive that the tire mismatch couldn't possibly be causing the problem - but in fact it was.
      05-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
aarofloyd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
toyos is what was on there when i got the car. Unfortunately picked up a nail, and shop only had 2 options on hand....conti's or road huggers??? easy choice....

Going to try and pay very close attention to the behavior the car is showing now...and try to figure out if it really is unsafe or just in my head
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

The feel of the car is going to tell you how safe or unsafe it is. My concern would be the front-to-rear difference in relative grip dry, and if the dynamic changed with rain/wet.

I've only ever had "mismatched" tires on race cars (and only a couple times when in a jam). New, sticky rubber on the fronts meant every turn was a powerslide as the rears were easy to break loose compared to the fronts. Swap them to the rear and now the front end understeers like a pig in every corner.

Some mismatches will work better than others, and it sounds like you don't much enjoy how this pair is. I'd doubt it's going to get better assuming you've confirmed pressures are right and put a few hundred miles on the new ones to get past the factory sealant/mold inhibitor/whatever on the outside of the new ones.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarofloyd View Post
I know this is a super old thread, but experiencing this for the first time on my car after getting her some new rubber. My question is...(if any of you are still on the forum 13 years later)...do you think its ok to drive the car like this? Is the rear end actually loose or is that just a false sensation I'm feeling? 2 brand new Continentals on the rear, and 2 existing Toyos on the front with plenty of tread left....dont really care to spend an extra $600 if its safe and I can just learn to live with it. I mean, who doesn't want to continually step the back out anyway?!
Why would you mix tires on a sports car like a Z4? It makes no sense. If you picked up a nail and it was more than an inch from the tread shoulder, why didn't you just have the tire repaired?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #18
aarofloyd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why would you mix tires on a sports car like a Z4? It makes no sense. If you picked up a nail and it was more than an inch from the tread shoulder, why didn't you just have the tire repaired?
It was in the tread shoulder and rubbed against the sidewall inside the tire making it non-repairable. The fronts still had like 8/32nds on them so definitely didnt "Need" replacing. I may end up just replacing them though...drove all weekend and the car still isnt responding well.
Appreciate 0